News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Staten Island Expressway notorious congestion

Started by J Route Z, August 23, 2014, 05:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J Route Z

The SIE always has traffic on it, if you ever drove on it, you know what I mean, specifically between exit 7 and 13. Also, the past few years has been the site of construction, which doesn't help ease congestion anyway. Even prior to the construction project, there always has been some back up for years and years, in both directions. No accident, no breakdown, just heavy volume I suppose. Then suddenly it opens up. Also, I don't quite get what they are doing to the highway. Are they extending the bus/HOV lane? It sure is a mess and taking a long time to wrap up, too.

cl94

Quote from: J Route Z on August 23, 2014, 05:46:19 PM
The SIE always has traffic on it, if you ever drove on it, you know what I mean, specifically between exit 7 and 13. Also, the past few years has been the site of construction, which doesn't help ease congestion anyway. Even prior to the construction project, there always has been some back up for years and years, in both directions. No accident, no breakdown, just heavy volume I suppose. Then suddenly it opens up. Also, I don't quite get what they are doing to the highway. Are they extending the bus/HOV lane? It sure is a mess and taking a long time to wrap up, too.

Welcome to New York. An accident 12 hours back will clog things up for hours because there's not enough of a break in traffic for speeds to increase. Happens all the time downstate and to a lesser extent in Albany.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

In Albany, simply placing a police car in the median will cause a backup, as people instinctively brake even if they're already traveling 20 mph below the speed limit.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: vdeane on August 24, 2014, 01:41:40 PM
In Albany, simply placing a police car in the median will cause a backup, as people instinctively brake even if they're already traveling 20 mph below the speed limit.

This is true almost anywhere.

The SIE can be tricky to circumvent, too.  There is very little redundancy along its route.  It takes some doing to figure out the best routes around certain areas, and they're often very indirect and more satisfying from a keep-moving standpoint than much time savings.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on August 24, 2014, 01:41:40 PM

Reminds me of this
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Duke87

Quote from: Pete from Boston on August 24, 2014, 02:36:58 PM
The SIE can be tricky to circumvent, too.  There is very little redundancy along its route.  It takes some doing to figure out the best routes around certain areas, and they're often very indirect and more satisfying from a keep-moving standpoint than much time savings.

A favorite trick of mine is to take Victory Blvd from the West Shore and then follow the service road to the Bradley Ave entrance. Circumvents the jam-ups resulting from midday lane closures by the Willowbrook and while Victory Blvd naturally moves more slowly than the West Shore, this route is shorter distancewise, thus making up for that (if there is traffic on the SIE).

Further east, Victory Blvd is a great alternative if there is traffic later at night, but during the day it is too clogged with people shopping to help much.

The service roads in various places may also help but they aren't continuous so you need to know where to hop back on the highway before you find yourself stuck on local streets with no quick way out.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

NJRoadfan

Actually the reason is simple, the people on Staten Island don't know how to step on it going up that hill. You could put up a dozen "Upgade, Maintain Speed" signs and they still won't figure out that pressing down on the long skinny pedal on the right does.

cl94

Quote from: NJRoadfan on August 24, 2014, 04:58:48 PM
Actually the reason is simple, the people on Staten Island don't know how to step on it going up that hill. You could put up a dozen "Upgade, Maintain Speed" signs and they still won't figure out that pressing down on the long skinny pedal on the right does.

I've never seen a place where those signs are nearly as effective as they could/should be

Alps

Quote from: NJRoadfan on August 24, 2014, 04:58:48 PM
This is the correct answer. The extension of the HOV lane system westward will do a little to alleviate it, but really, there needs to be another general-purpose lane here in both directions. It's really not much of a hill in the scheme of things, so maybe people don't realize they're heading up and gradually losing speed.

D-Dey65

On my last trip to New York City, I actually considered taking the Cross Bronx Expressway to get to Queens instead of the Staten Island Expressway and Belt Parkway. Not only because of the usual congestion, but also because I was pissed at NYSDOT for tearing down the never used Todt Hill Interchange.

cl94

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 27, 2014, 10:12:43 PM
On my last trip to New York City, I actually considered taking the Cross Bronx Expressway to get to Queens instead of the Staten Island Expressway and Belt Parkway. Not only because of the usual congestion, but also because I was pissed at NYSDOT for tearing down the never used Todt Hill Interchange.

There aren't many roads worse than the CBX when it comes to congestion. Very substandard, much over capacity, and a driver going slower than 70 will cause a backup lasting for hours.

Pete from Boston

The pillars were still there a month ago.

I struggle with going east via the BQE or the roundabout Goethals up to the Tappan Zee from along there.  Historically a wash other than very late night or early morning.   

Duke87

but also because I was pissed at NYSDOT for tearing down the never used Todt Hill Interchange.

It's not like they tore it down because they felt like it. In order to widen the SIE those bridges had to go. They could have built new bridges, but why bother when they're never going to be used?

Quote from: cl94 on August 27, 2014, 10:18:06 PM
There aren't many roads worse than the CBX when it comes to congestion. Very substandard, much over capacity, and a driver going slower than 70 will cause a backup lasting for hours.

Hah. Get acquainted with the BQE and then tell me the Cross Bronx is the worst highway you've ever been on. The Cross Bronx is congested, alright, but it doesn't feature any sharp curves, left exits, or ridiculous lane drops. The BQE has all of those things AND congestion.

The Cross Bronx also is unlikely to give you any trouble after midnight. The BQE offers no such reliability.

cl94

Quote from: Duke87 on August 28, 2014, 12:48:38 AM
but also because I was pissed at NYSDOT for tearing down the never used Todt Hill Interchange.

It's not like they tore it down because they felt like it. In order to widen the SIE those bridges had to go. They could have built new bridges, but why bother when they're never going to be used?

Hah. Get acquainted with the BQE and then tell me the Cross Bronx is the worst highway you've ever been on. The Cross Bronx is congested, alright, but it doesn't feature any sharp curves, left exits, or ridiculous lane drops. The BQE has all of those things AND congestion.

The Cross Bronx also is unlikely to give you any trouble after midnight. The BQE offers no such reliability.

I've driven the BQE. I tend to forget it exists because of how much I hate it. At least there are ways to get around it. Because of how the parkways run, the CBX is pretty unavoidable if going between LI and upstate. Yeah, you could take the Major Deegan to the Grand Central, but that isn't much better and the Thruway has tolls.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: cl94 on August 28, 2014, 08:53:33 AM
Quote from: Duke87 on August 28, 2014, 12:48:38 AM

I've driven the BQE. I tend to forget it exists because of how much I hate it. At least there are ways to get around it. Because of how the parkways run, the CBX is pretty unavoidable if going between LI and upstate. Yeah, you could take the Major Deegan to the Grand Central, but that isn't much better and the Thruway has tolls.

Bruckner, Bruckner, Bruckner.  Also has a silly lane drop, but gets backed up far less.

The worst lane drop in the city, IMHO, is where BQE north/east traffic has to exit the road to continue straight at the Battery Tunnel.  Been there too many times when through traffic had ONE LANE to continue.  Feels like extortion to get people to pay the toll and use the FDR.

Duke87

Quote from: Pete from Boston on August 28, 2014, 09:54:16 AM

Bruckner, Bruckner, Bruckner.  Also has a silly lane drop, but gets backed up far less.

Depending on when you're driving, Whitestone-Hutch-Cross County-Sprain/Taconic may also work, although the Hutch/Cross County interchange at exit 13 is to be avoided on weekends.
Hutch-95/695-Throgs Neck is also a valid option southbound much of the time although northbound you have the semi-perpetual jam on 95 approaching Pelham Parkway to contend with.

Furthermore, if you're taking the Triboro, you are not committed to also taking the Thruway. You can hop over to the Sprain at Central Ave (a fun trick) and not incur any mainline Thruway tolls. And Mosholu-Saw Mill-Taconic is a good alternative if something messes that up.

You've got plenty of options.

Now, getting from Long Island to the GWB without using the Cross Bronx... that's a bit trickier, you basically have to take the Triboro.

Meanwhile, if I have to travel from east to west in The Bronx, I usually use Pelham Parkway and then Fordham Rd, Fordham and Kingsbridge Rds, or Southern Blvd and Mosholu Pkwy. We did the third of those on the NYC meet tour.

QuoteThe worst lane drop in the city, IMHO, is where BQE north/east traffic has to exit the road to continue straight at the Battery Tunnel.  Been there too many times when through traffic had ONE LANE to continue.  Feels like extortion to get people to pay the toll and use the FDR.

Yep, this is where you may still see traffic at 1 AM.

The clunky design of the interchange there results from how the Battery Tunnel used to be the north end of the Gowanus Parkway, the BQE into downtown Brooklyn wasn't built until later.

Meanwhile I betcha if the East River bridges were tolled (or if the tunnel were free) that perpetual traffic jam would dissipate, since the only reason it exists now is because so many people use the Brooklyn or Manhattan Bridge in order to avoid paying the Battery Tunnel toll.

cl94

Quote from: Duke87 on August 28, 2014, 09:28:07 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on August 28, 2014, 09:54:16 AM

Depending on when you're driving, Whitestone-Hutch-Cross County-Sprain/Taconic may also work, although the Hutch/Cross County interchange at exit 13 is to be avoided on weekends.
Hutch-95/695-Throgs Neck is also a valid option southbound much of the time although northbound you have the semi-perpetual jam on 95 approaching Pelham Parkway to contend with.

Furthermore, if you're taking the Triboro, you are not committed to also taking the Thruway. You can hop over to the Sprain at Central Ave (a fun trick) and not incur any mainline Thruway tolls. And Mosholu-Saw Mill-Taconic is a good alternative if something messes that up.

Now, getting from Long Island to the GWB without using the Cross Bronx... that's a bit trickier, you basically have to take the Triboro.

Meanwhile, if I have to travel from east to west in The Bronx, I usually use Pelham Parkway and then Fordham Rd, Fordham and Kingsbridge Rds, or Southern Blvd and Mosholu Pkwy. We did the third of those on the NYC meet tour.

QuoteThe worst lane drop in the city, IMHO, is where BQE north/east traffic has to exit the road to continue straight at the Battery Tunnel.  Been there too many times when through traffic had ONE LANE to continue.  Feels like extortion to get people to pay the toll and use the FDR.

Yep, this is where you may still see traffic at 1 AM.

The clunky design of the interchange there results from how the Battery Tunnel used to be the north end of the Gowanus Parkway, the BQE into downtown Brooklyn wasn't built until later.

Meanwhile I betcha if the East River bridges were tolled (or if the tunnel were free) that perpetual traffic jam would dissipate, since the only reason it exists now is because so many people use the Brooklyn or Manhattan Bridge in order to avoid paying the Battery Tunnel toll.

I'm glad that toll plan never went through, though. Nice to get free, easy passage from my family in Park Slope to Jersey via the Manny B and Holland Tunnel.

I typically go 17-6-Bear Mtn-202-Taconic-Sprain-Bronx River-Cross Bronx-Throgs Neck-Cross Island if heading to/from the Island. Avoids most of the (avoidable) trouble spots. I even know where to get on/off the Bronx River if there's a jam to cut down to the Cross Bronx. From several repeated trips throughout my life, I've determined that this routing is the best from where I currently am. We did often take 684 to the Hutch when I was north of Albany in a quest to bypass the Thruway entirely. Heading WB, I'll cut through Manhattan to avoid it because there's no WB Hudson River toll. I have been known to use the Triboro and Harlem River Drive for the GWB.

Alps

Drove the SIE today. Eastbound around 12 PM, no issues, but we saw WB delays the whole way. Coming back at 3 PM, we saw delays after Exit 13, so we stuck with the service road. After Little Clove Rd. it peels away and a new one forms, so we jumped down to it and the delay was over. I feel like New York drivers don't realize frontage roads exist - I've jumped a half hour of delay on the Van Wyck before.

Duke87

Quote from: cl94 on August 28, 2014, 10:01:33 PM
I'm glad that toll plan never went through, though. Nice to get free, easy passage from my family in Park Slope to Jersey via the Manny B and Holland Tunnel.

As are a lot of people who enjoy shunpiking. Which, yes, I do when practical.

But it's a fucked up system. Which bridges and tunnels are or aren't tolled in New York is determined by age. The bridges which were opened prior to 1936 are free. Everything opened from 1936 onward is tolled. This explains the history but from a network standpoint it is nonsensical. It makes no sense that some crossings of the East and Harlem Rivers should be tolled while others are not. It makes even worse sense when you consider that the free bridges are the ones which mostly don't connect directly to high speed roadways. This gives drivers incentive to take slower routes, causing needless congestion on city streets, instead of staying on the highway. Furthermore it even encourages traffic which does not have Manhattan to cut through Manhattan in order to avoid tolls, causing even more needless traffic mess. Hell, the aforementioned issue with the BQE is justification enough for changing things.

Here's what needs to happen:
1) All bridges between Manhattan and The Bronx, Queens, or Brooklyn need to have a toll and the toll needs to be the same for all of them. Exception for I-95, where you only incur a toll if you exit, not if you pass straight through from The Bronx to the GWB
2) Remove the tolls on the Verrazano, Whitestone, and Throgs Neck Bridges. Charge a Toll on the Triboro only to/from Manhattan, not for Bronx-Queens traffic.

This reverses the perverse incentive and encourages traffic to drive around Manhattan to avoid tolls rather than through it. It would still be possible to get between Long Island and the Bronx or New Jersey (westbound) without paying a toll but the routes for doing so would now be the fastest and most-sensible, not congestion-inducing routes.

It also then makes it impossible to drive into Manhattan without paying a toll... which is why it will never happen, since too many New York drivers think of that as their god-given right.

Quote from: Alps on August 29, 2014, 12:15:22 AM
I feel like New York drivers don't realize frontage roads exist - I've jumped a half hour of delay on the Van Wyck before.

Well, you are right about this much: most New Yorkers have never heard the term "frontage road" before. We call them service roads. :)

As for why they aren't used more frequently to avoid jams, I don't know. I will do it, most people in my family will do it. And some other people definitely do it. But it requires being proactive and cognizant of your surroundings. I'd figure that 1) Some people don't want to be bothered with the mental effort of getting off and back on the highway and find it less stressful to just stay put. 2) These days some people legitimately don't know the service road alternatives since they only know how to follow their GPS, which will not route them along them.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Duke87 on August 28, 2014, 09:28:07 PMDepending on when you're driving, Whitestone-Hutch-Cross County-Sprain/Taconic may also work, although the Hutch/Cross County interchange at exit 13 is to be avoided on weekends.

These are all well put.  My travels in that area in the past couple of decades have been between New England (various points past Hartford) and either Manhattan, Brooklyn, New Jersey, or Staten Island.

I come in on the Merritt/Hutch mostly, and assess WCBS and 1010WINS.  If going West Side or west I usually take the Cross County to the Saw Mill/Henry Hudson.  East Side or Brooklyn/Queens, usually Hutch or New England Thruway to Bruckner to Third Ave Br. to FDR (I'm a cheapskate). 

Staten Island is the great bitch of the destinations.  You can reasonably take the BQE via Whitestone or Triboro, but might end up screwed at so many places, and have a $15 toll. Alternatively you can West Side it down to the Holland Tunnel then across Jersey City to 440 to Bayonne, but 440's pace frustrates me.  My standard route there is the GWB to the NJ Turnpike to the Goethals–inefficient but fairly reliable, except for the topic of this thread.

Duke87

When going from Westchester or The Bronx to Staten Island it is definitely faster in most cases to go through New Jersey. GWB, turnpike to 13, Goethals beats the hell out of the BQE any day, at least on time. The total toll is a bit less southbound ($13.75 or $15.75 versus $15.99) but much higher northbound ($13.75 or $15.75 versus $5.33).

The numbers change if you are paying cash or have a non-NY EZpass but the balance of what's cheaper doesn't shift unless you're a Staten Island resident signed up for discounts on the Verrazano but not PANYNJ bridges.

Zeffy

Was on the SIE today, finally getting to see the result of all the construction on it. Going towards the Verrazano, traffic was flowing smoothly. Approaching the interchange for Todt Hill Road, I noticed that traffic on the opposite side was practically dead. This continued pretty much all the way towards the tollbooths. This was at around 11:00 AM as well. After I was done in Brooklyn, came back home heading west on 278. (This was around 1:30 PM) Guess what? Dead. Right after the tollbooths from the bridge, traffic was in a standstill. The congestion continued all the way to Todt Hill Road, where it loosened up a bit, then a bit further it slowed down again. All-in-all, spent an extra 30 minutes on the SIE before getting back to West Shore Expressway to get back home.

With my phone low on battery, I was trying to conserve a bit to take pics of anything I found interesting on the ride home, so I only have this one (shitty) pic to share that demonstrates what the SIE usually looks like:

It doesn't help that when this congestion happens, many drivers think it's a smart idea to zip around all the lanes thinking they will get further - they don't - and I saw too many people who nearly wrecked themselves trying to pull it off. Also, in New York, solid white lines seem to mean nothing, because everyone was switching lanes crossing one anyway.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

cl94

Quote from: Zeffy on November 08, 2014, 05:36:48 PM
Also, in New York, solid white lines seem to mean nothing, because everyone was switching lanes crossing one anyway.

Per the MUTCD, lane changes are only prohibited with double solid white lines. Single solid lines are a recommendation.

vdeane

According to the NYS DMV, a solid white line means that lane changes are permitted only when obstructions or traffic conditions require them. http://dmv.ny.gov/about-dmv/chapter-4-traffic-control-2
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NE2

Quote from: vdeane on November 09, 2014, 05:38:19 PM
According to the NYS DMV, a solid white line means that lane changes are permitted only when obstructions or traffic conditions require them. http://dmv.ny.gov/about-dmv/chapter-4-traffic-control-2
Florida's DMV lies about this topic, so perhaps NY is the same.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.