News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Foursquare changes its game

Started by SSOWorld, May 09, 2014, 08:51:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

http://blog.foursquare.com/post/85232472353/mayorships-and-more-how-swarm-is-going-to-make-your

more like...

Game over.

Mayorships and badges basically have stopped as they plan to take the check-in to a real-time location app called "Swarm" and also they stopped the Mayorship program.

For those using 4sq, the check-in feature is moving to a new app and the original app is going to become more like Yelp - a local search feature.

Thoughts?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hbelkins

The first thing that attracted me to Foursquare was those neat little maps that got posted when someone shared a 4sq check-in on Facebook. Brian Powell (bitmapped) was the first person I can remember using it.

I check in on 4sq in a lot of places out of habit but I'm not sure how much use I will make of the new app. I used a few discounts that came with check-ins at certain places and hopefully those will continue in some fashion. Comes in handy saving $7 off an oil change at Valvoline.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Dr Frankenstein

I was wondering why I suddenly stopped getting 2 extra points when I checked into places where I was the mayor. That explains it.

bugo

I don't use this service because I don't want everybody on my facebook list knowing when I'm out of town or away from my house.

rawmustard

Quote from: bugo on May 12, 2014, 05:53:49 PM
I don't use this service because I don't want everybody on my facebook list knowing when I'm out of town or away from my house.

You don't have to share anything from Foursquare (or Swarm) to Facebook. Generally, your Foursquare (to become Swarm) network of friends should be all people you inherently trust not to do anything unseemly with your location info.

I've been using Foursquare consistently since 2010, and as it's developed, I can see how the search features have crowded out the social features. It makes sense to split the two, as there are many who only care about one aspect and not the other. I'm anxious to see how Swarm works for myself, although I can't help but be put off by the timing (Swarm supposedly launching this week while new Foursquare not being out until summer will mean there'll still be some overlap).

US71

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on May 12, 2014, 02:25:13 PM
I was wondering why I suddenly stopped getting 2 extra points when I checked into places where I was the mayor. That explains it.

I noticed that this weekend visiting my mom in Missouri. If they are going to mess things up, I'll simply walk away.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

SSOWorld

I was wrong about badges.  It gave me two levels of the "Historian" partner badge when I checked into Chicago's John Hancock and Water Tower this weekend, and told me I was 1 away from the Pizza place badge, so they're still active.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: bugo on May 12, 2014, 05:53:49 PM

I'm a Foursquare junkie and hardly any of my check-ins show up on Facebook. Only the ones that I choose to share do. Only my Foursquare friends (only people I trust) can see the rest of my check-ins.

hbelkins

I've been noticing that I've only been getting one point for each check-in, no matter if I'm mayor of that place or how many consecutive days/weeks I checked in or what. I will probably just let my interest in it fade away.

SSOWorld

Yeah they turned the Mayor show off last week.  They're trying to put it in a race with friends only - which don't help me any having no 4sq friends in town.

TO that I say whatever.

I'm still getting badges, but it won't be long and that will be nixed
Scott O.

Raise your what?

US71

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 14, 2014, 09:00:47 PM
Yeah they turned the Mayor show off last week.  They're trying to put it in a race with friends only - which don't help me any having no 4sq friends in town.

TO that I say whatever.

I'm still getting badges, but it won't be long and that will be nixed

I was told I'd get discounts for checking in to various places, but it's a major hassle half the time to claim the discount.
There are 2 people about 50 miles away on my Foursquare friend list, but we rarely cross paths.

SSOWorld

I've stopped using 4SQ after returning from NYC.  They are now ending checkins on the original app and forcing them to the new Swarm app.  I don't care to continue with this as they have torn it apart in the name of profit.  They made their move and I'll just have to move on.

Those using swarm - what's your thoughts on that app?
Scott O.

Raise your what?

hbelkins

I think Foursquare is trying to become another Yelp or Urbanspoon or other rating site.

I haven't used 4SQ since they did away with the points for check-ins. I haven't tried Swarm and not sure that I will.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on July 24, 2014, 09:17:29 PM
I think Foursquare is trying to become another Yelp or Urbanspoon or other rating site.

I haven't used 4SQ since they did away with the points for check-ins. I haven't tried Swarm and not sure that I will.

*DING* Yes, they want to become another Yelp.

I just switched to Swarm, but I'm not impressed so far. I may use it this weekend, but I'm about 90 percent certain I won't stay.

SSOWorld

Quote from: hbelkins on July 24, 2014, 09:17:29 PM
That's their intent.  They've been trying to do that all along and it became a game much to the dislike of the powers that be of 4SQ.  They decided to change it and move it away.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

bulldog1979

I'm quite unimpressed by Swarm. I've been using it for over a month now since it came out. None of my friends live nearby, and I only got close to some of them on a trip to Chicago at the end of June. At this point, I'm likely to stop using it and switch to checking in placed on Facebook for those times when I would share a check-in from 4sq/Swarm to FB.

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: SSOWorld on July 24, 2014, 08:42:10 PM
I've stopped using 4SQ after returning from NYC.  They are now ending checkins on the original app and forcing them to the new Swarm app.  I don't care to continue with this as they have torn it apart in the name of profit.  They made their move and I'll just have to move on.

I have an iPhone 3GS, which means I can't use Swarm. They don't even bother maintaining compatibility with iOS 6.1.

hbelkins

Quote from: bulldog1979 on July 25, 2014, 03:48:57 AM
I'm quite unimpressed by Swarm. I've been using it for over a month now since it came out. None of my friends live nearby, and I only got close to some of them on a trip to Chicago at the end of June. At this point, I'm likely to stop using it and switch to checking in placed on Facebook for those times when I would share a check-in from 4sq/Swarm to FB.

I quit sharing stuff from Foursquare to Facebook a long time ago. Too many nosy people asking about where I'd been and what I was doing. About the only time I check in somewhere on Facebook these days is if it's a work-related function, and that's just to prove that I do get out of the office every now and then. The CoPilot GPS/mapping app on my iPhone and iPad used to have the ability to share to Facebook, and I would share my location at various times on a trip, but that ability went away and even if it hadn't, I probably would have quit unless I could tweak that to share only with my "roadgeek friends list on FB. Again, too many nosy people. (It's also the reason I no longer RSVP to events on Facebook, because that gets shared with everyone on your friends list when you do).

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on July 25, 2014, 11:45:24 AM
Quote from: bulldog1979 on July 25, 2014, 03:48:57 AM

I quit sharing stuff from Foursquare to Facebook a long time ago. Too many nosy people asking about where I'd been and what I was doing. About the only time I check in somewhere on Facebook these days is if it's a work-related function, and that's just to prove that I do get out of the office every now and then. The CoPilot GPS/mapping app on my iPhone and iPad used to have the ability to share to Facebook, and I would share my location at various times on a trip, but that ability went away and even if it hadn't, I probably would have quit unless I could tweak that to share only with my "roadgeek friends list on FB. Again, too many nosy people. (It's also the reason I no longer RSVP to events on Facebook, because that gets shared with everyone on your friends list when you do).

I've never shared 4Square to Facebook, at least not intentionally. Too many nosy people on Facebook (is there an echo in here? ;) ) When I choose to get "lost" I don't want the world know. I figure in a couple years, Facebook will change enough that I'll dump it, too.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on July 25, 2014, 09:13:43 AM
Quote from: SSOWorld on July 24, 2014, 08:42:10 PM

I have an iPhone 3GS, which means I can't use Swarm. They don't even bother maintaining compatibility with iOS 6.1.
Unless you're using the 3GS to just call, text and surf the web/email, the phone's pretty much useless because most of the apps out there are dropping support for devices older than the 4S - Especially once iOS 8 is released to the wild. [/off topic]
Scott O.

Raise your what?

US71

While I have not deleted my account, I have dumped FourSquare AND Swarm from my phone,  You can check-in on Swarm, but you have to go to FourSquare if you want to leave a tip (such as dirty restrooms)

I've also noticed that businesses who offer you a check-in special, will try to find a way to weasel out of the deal.

For now, I will leave my account dormant "just in case" FourSquare comes to their senses and goes back to their "classic" set-up... not that I am holding my breath.

SSOWorld

An update - via E-Mail I (as a super user they tend to "listen to us") - they brought back the leaderboards, lists, and specials - though they are still keeping the separate apps   :-|

Foursquare
Easier to curate and contribute.
-  Lists are back – create a new one, or add to your favorites
-  Find specials nearby with one tap
-  Quickly rate places you've been, and earn expertise by leavings tips

Swarm
More competition, more fun.
-  Leaderboards are back – compete with friends, no matter where you are
-  Unlock golden stickers (and bragging rights) that show you're in the lead
-  View your check-in history on a map
Scott O.

Raise your what?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.