News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Gas stations where customers routinely queue up for fuel

Started by cpzilliacus, September 14, 2014, 01:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

The Kroger on I-55 in Jackson is usually crowded, especially on Saturdays.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Duke87 on September 15, 2014, 10:30:51 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 15, 2014, 09:48:28 AM
The last time I really saw this sort of thing was in the week after Sandy in 2012.  Many stations didn't have electricity, and many just weren't getting deliveries, so there were lines of dozens of cars all over the place, along with a return of "no gas" sandwich boards.

What is interesting is how locally specific that was. Connecticut got hit by Sandy just as well as New York, but Connecticut's gas supply issues stopped once the power started getting restored to more people. New York had zero supply issues immediately after the storm (I filled up that Tuesday night and the station had plenty of gas with no one buying it) but all of a sudden had a crisis once people started resuming their daily routines and gas stations realized "oh shit, our supply chain has been interrupted".

Indeed, that was the difference: most of the terminals in NYC and Long Island where fuel is delivered by tanker were either completely out of commission or operating at reduced capacity after the storm, thanks to flooding. The terminals in Connecticut weathered the storm better for whatever reason.

Perhaps, but there was a lot of power outage in Southeastern Connecticut when we were there the following weekend just the same, which created a lot of backup at the stations that were open (though not really comparable to the lines in New Jersey).

doorknob60

The Fred Meyer in Bend is pretty bad during the day. It's not uncommon to wait 10 minutes to get in line there. After 6-7 PM it's fine though. it's one of the cheapest places in town though. Also, it doesn't help that in Oregon you can't pump your own gas, and sometimes you're waiting by the pump for a couple minutes before someone comes up to your car to start pumping, or to remove the pump when it's done. :ded:

xcellntbuy

I have encountered a Jet convenience store/gas station just north of my new home in Milledgeville, GA on US 441/GA 24 northbound that is a hoppin' place.  Regular unleaded price keeps dropping every day or every other day and is now down to $3.059 per gallon.  It was $3.239 when I moved here just three weeks ago.

The gas pumps are in direct competition to the Super Kroger grocery store less than 1/4 mile away, with their gas points rebate plan.  The Kroger price is $3.069.

Pumps are busy, busy, busy.

mtantillo

Any station on the NJ Turnpike. Both a combination of "oh look how cheap gas is here" by people passing through (the Turnpike posts gas prices on the highway) and the fact that NJ has no self serve and relies on slow and inefficient jockeys to do the pumping. At less busy times, the lines are just as long because there are fewer jockeys on duty and they cone off some of the pumps. I've only rarely seen lines off the Turnpike, and will thus usually exit the Turnpike to buy gas. Then if I'm going south and gassing up at Exit 4, I won't even bother getting back on, I'll just take 295.

The Parkway doesn't have nearly as bad lines, probably because less long haul traffic and more local folks who know cheap gas is plentiful off the highway.

getemngo

Near me, there's a Speedway at M-37 & 52nd St in Kentwood, MI that usually has a bit of a wait for the pumps (despite having about 16) and always has the longest checkout lines I've ever seen at a gas station.

It's in a mostly industrial area, but M-37 is a major north-south thoroughfare with 26,500 ADT. Despite that, and despite Kentwood having a population of almost 50,000, it's the only gas station for 2-3 miles in any direction, except for a Mobil 3/4 miles to the south. You'd think someone else would see that and try to steal a few of their customers...
~ Sam from Michigan

MillTheRoadgeek

Another one, and I'm not replying to the one on page 3, but the Costco gas station at Potomac Mills Mall has really, really, long lines even on an average day. At the Manassas location, there's like only 2-3 cars in line, though.  :nod:

cpzilliacus

Quote from: mtantillo on September 23, 2014, 12:00:24 AM
Any station on the NJ Turnpike. Both a combination of "oh look how cheap gas is here" by people passing through (the Turnpike posts gas prices on the highway) and the fact that NJ has no self serve and relies on slow and inefficient jockeys to do the pumping. At less busy times, the lines are just as long because there are fewer jockeys on duty and they cone off some of the pumps. I've only rarely seen lines off the Turnpike, and will thus usually exit the Turnpike to buy gas. Then if I'm going south and gassing up at Exit 4, I won't even bother getting back on, I'll just take 295.

I have usually not encountered especially long queues at the Sunoco stations on the N.J. Turnpike (and have never experienced full-serve Diesel fuel anywhere else).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: MillTheRoadgeek on September 24, 2014, 09:27:57 PM
Another one, and I'm not replying to the one on page 3, but the Costco gas station at Potomac Mills Mall has really, really, long lines even on an average day. At the Manassas location, there's like only 2-3 cars in line, though.  :nod:

I have observed long queues at the Costco on U.S. 1 in Beltsville, but most Costco stations do not sell Diesel fuel, so I cannot fill up at them.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

roadman65

Of course, Costco always has a line, but we should expect the wholesale clubs like them, Sams, and BJs to always be as their price is always 5 cents cheaper than the average in the area.

Wawa, I must tell you always has a two car wait to get to any pump as they are always crowded due to their food store inside.  Most people who buy their hoagies, also like to gas up at the same time.  At least the ones in Florida do as I am not sure how PA, DE, MD, and VA are with lines.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 01, 2014, 11:35:27 PM
Quote from: mtantillo on September 23, 2014, 12:00:24 AM

I have usually not encountered especially long queues at the Sunoco stations on the N.J. Turnpike (and have never experienced full-serve Diesel fuel anywhere else).

I will see 2-4 cars waiting for gas on the turnpike quite often. And due to their pricing structure, when prices are rising fast the turnpike can be one of the cheapest places to buy gas in that state...and lines for the pumps have begun on the highway in those cases!

Does the turnpike do full service diesel? I know even at the Wawas that have diesel in Nj, it's self serve.

signalman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 11, 2014, 09:52:01 PM
Does the turnpike do full service diesel? I know even at the Wawas that have diesel in Nj, it's self serve.
CP mentioned that they do in the post that you quoted.

GaryV

The Pines, outside of Baraga MI on US-41.

Why line up at such a remote place?  It's on an Indian Reservation, and exempt from (some) gasoline taxes.  All the MTU students know not to fill up in Houghton before heading downstate.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 11, 2014, 09:52:01 PMI know even at the Wawas that have diesel in Nj, it's self serve.
Self-serve of any fueling product in Jersey?  Are you sure of such?  Wawas (or QuickCheck or whomever) in NJ may offer diesel but I do not believe one is allowed to pump their own diesel fuel.  Is such even technically legal to do so?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 14, 2014, 10:13:37 PM
Nothing remotely approaches the 1979 lines.  Those were hour-plus and vaguely apocalyptic.  Remember the red, yellow, and green rag flags (no, little, and plenty of gas respectively)?

Same thing with the "original" lines for gasoline in 1972.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: roadman65 on October 11, 2014, 09:34:32 PM
Of course, Costco always has a line, but we should expect the wholesale clubs like them, Sams, and BJs to always be as their price is always 5 cents cheaper than the average in the area.

Wawa, I must tell you always has a two car wait to get to any pump as they are always crowded due to their food store inside.  Most people who buy their hoagies, also like to gas up at the same time.  At least the ones in Florida do as I am not sure how PA, DE, MD, and VA are with lines.

In my experience, Sam's Club usually does not have a long wait at the pumps.

roadman65

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 13, 2014, 04:42:33 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on October 11, 2014, 09:34:32 PM

In my experience, Sam's Club usually does not have a long wait at the pumps.
The one on OBT and Taft Vineland which is 3 miles from my house does.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.