News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Out of print albums

Started by roadman65, October 06, 2014, 10:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I was wondering if there are any albums or CDs that are no longer in print where the record company due to the lack of sales decided not to print them anymore.

I know these are no longer available unless the internet music site's now have them maybe as individual songs.

Joe Walsh- Got Any Gum
Joe Walsh- Songs For A Dying Planet
Allman Brothers Band- Brothers Of The Road
Jefferson Airplane (1990 Reunion album) I Love Jet Aircraft (Actually it was self titled, but the Jet Aircraft name was a nick name)

It is a shame because some of these had decent songs, but due to little sales and airplay got dropped by the labels.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadrunner75

Too many to list - but thanks to the internet you can pretty much find anything now.

Seems like enough music threads rolling right now to justify a music board....

roadman65

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on October 06, 2014, 11:16:03 PM
Too many to list - but thanks to the internet you can pretty much find anything now.

Thanks to the internet I did find out why Brothers of The Road went out of print as there was a conflict between the Allman Brothers Band and Arista Records over the band's sound.  It was the era of when Southern Rock was dying and the mucks at the label wanted a new sound forcing Dicky Betts to come up with Straight From The Heart which does not have the typical Allman Brothers sound they are famous for.

We could mention albums that we ourselves are disappointed that the companies yanked from us off the shelves.

Sheryl Crowe

nexus73

I can't find "Carmen Dragon At The Hollywood Bowl" (from 1967 or so) on CD.  It appears to have never been released in that format. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

hbelkins

Rhino Handmade released a live Chicago album -- Chicago Some Roman Numeral: Live in '75 -- once Rhino got control of Chicago's catalog, but it didn't stay available very long.

Derek St. Holmes (Ted Nugent's rhythm guitarist and vocalist for Nugent's first three solo albums) did an album called St. Paradise and I don't think it's in print anymore. St. Holmes also teamed up with Brad Whitford (Aerosmith's rhythm guitarist) on an album that's not available.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on October 06, 2014, 11:16:03 PM
That or music is the new colors.

Anyone want to start a "what color do certain songs remind you of" thread?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Pete from Boston

In the late 80s, most Queen albums went out of print.  Drove me nuts.  Finally someone cut a deal to get them available again, right about when their last album Innuendo came out, right before Freddy Mercury died, and right before Wayne's World put "Bohemian Rhapsody" back on the charts–in other words, just in time for people to start buying Queen albums again.

Around that same time it was impossible to get new copies of Devo albums, because by the end of the 80s they had been written off by the mainstream as an historical oddity, a condition that fortunately has reversed itself.

Really, since the death of the music business, hard copies have become kind of an afterthought, and the concept of "in print" is sort of obsolete.   

Roadrunner75

All of Spinal Tap's early albums are out of print.

spooky

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 07, 2014, 07:36:32 PM
Really, since the death of the music business, hard copies have become kind of an afterthought, and the concept of "in print" is sort of obsolete.   

Truth. I'm sure there are plenty of albums that are "in print" where you could only get a hard copy if you ordered it from amazon. Mass market music is bought at Best Buy, Walmart and Target, and they don't get too deep into the catalog. I'm sure mall record stores are the same, and the smaller independent stores are few and far between.

hbelkins

I still buy physical copies of music wherever possible.

When Best Buy first came to Lexington, they had a very good selection of CDs including a number of imports. Now it's mostly the same hit stuff you can get at Walmart.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

I miss Sam Goody.  Now that was a store.  They survived the CD takeover, hung in their through the 8 track days, but somehow they did not survive the internet or someone on top did something bad to close their stores.

TSS in the New York area was another shame that they are no longer, but big on record sales.

Sheryl Crowe

Pete from Boston

Sam Goody was the real deal once but had hit the shitter by the late 80s.  Limited selection, the prices were absurd, and they relied heavily on mall-captive teenagers who were too dumb to know they were being soaked.  When Tower started expanding to the suburbs around then, the prices were 20%+ cheaper.  I never went to Sam Goody again.

Never heard of TSS when I lived down there.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 08, 2014, 11:32:26 PM
Sam Goody was the real deal once but had hit the shitter by the late 80s.  Limited selection, the prices were absurd, and they relied heavily on mall-captive teenagers who were too dumb to know they were being soaked.  When Tower started expanding to the suburbs around then, the prices were 20%+ cheaper.  I never went to Sam Goody again.
The above was the Sam Goody I remember, along with other similar way overpriced mall record stores.  I used to go to Tower in Philadelphia and Cherry Hill for better selection in the pre-internet days.  Circuit City for awhile sold the cheapest CDs, but of course had a very limited selection.  Best Buy was slightly better with selection, but has since dwindled to about what CC used to have.  Independent record stores still do exist out there, but they've disappeared steadily since my college days when I could circle around and hit a number of them.  Princeton Record Exchange is good for finding random stuff for cheap.  I walked out recently with about 10 used CDs for about $2-3 each.  Vintage Vinyl in Fords has a pretty big selection too, and is better organized (but the used CDs aren't as cheap).

spooky

I think the big box stores are the ones that sunk Sam Goody, Tower, etc. No one was willing to buy the latest hit CD for $16.98 when it was available for 10 or 11 bucks at Walmart or Best Buy.

We're fortunate here in New England to have Newbury Comics, which despite the name is primarily a "record store" but has branched out into toys, books and clothing. and yes, they sell comics.

renegade

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on October 07, 2014, 10:55:45 PM
All of Spinal Tap's early albums are out of print.

Same with Steel Dragon.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Laura

The Blink 182 live album The Mark, Tom, and Travis show (The Enema Strikes Back!) was a limited edition release in 2000. However, they rereleased it on vinyl in 2011.

While it is out of print, there are plenty of inexpensive used copies of the CD on Amazon.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.