News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What Percentage of Truckers Are Roadgeeks

Started by adventurernumber1, October 09, 2014, 11:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adventurernumber1

I've always wondered what percentage of truckers might be roadgeeks? Any thoughts or does anybody (possibly a trucker) think they know?
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Molandfreak

It's definitely hard to know for sure. If you'd consider basically any road travel enthusiast to be a roadgeek, then it'd basically be all truckers. If you'd only consider someone who actively keeps up with construction projects (other than in areas where they're headed), keeps up to date on signage oddity/old sign sightings and actively searches for them, and sometimes goes out of the way to drive an old alignment/clinch a highway, then it's likely very few. The more I think about it, there's little research/clinching/etc I have actually done (though I have learned a lot since joining), so I'm definitely more of a travel enthusiast in general. ;-)
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Molandfreak on October 10, 2014, 12:16:17 AM
If you'd consider basically any road travel enthusiast to be a roadgeek, then it'd basically be all truckers.

I'm sure many truckers are doing it because it's the job available.  I would want to think that long-haul truckers are a bit more of a travel enthusiast than, say, a trucker that maintains the same local route everyday, but they're probably bored at seeing much of the same thing day in and day out also.  I can't see truckers that have to go thru NYC on a daily basis enjoying the roads whatsoever (oh yay, another 1 hour backup to pay a $100 toll.  And oh yay, I'm getting stopped again to have my cargo checked by dogs...)

roadman65

The way many truckers forget about where lane drops occur on interstates and make unsafe and illegal lane changes to avoid having to exit the road, I would say I agree with Jeff on this one.  Its not mainly for love of roads that they take the job, but because its a job! To many it is a chore to drive in traffic.  Many could care less about the roads itself as by the end of the day they are sick of them.

I am surprised that some on here do not consider it a career as you can do road trips each day and be in many different cities and states quite frequently.  For many in our hobby, it would be being paid for doing what you like 80 percent as the other 20 would be loading and unloading the cargo.  Unfortunately, you cannot travel all the roads as many roads are restricted to trucks (the NY Parkways, The Pulaski Skyway, many mountain roads and city streets) so you cannot clinch it all.  However, still you can do a lot.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cjk374

The same goes for railroaders.  The title of this thread can easily be changed to "What percentage of (enter career name here) are (hobbiest of said career)".  Alot of railroaders who were fans of the hobby become less interested in it once the hobby becomes a career.  The old hoghead engineer I worked with when I started always asked me when I was having a rough day at work, "It's alot different being a railfan than it is a railhand ain't it?!"

Indeed he was right.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

mrsman

The trucker lifestyle isn't for everyone. 

I'm glad that I have a professional 9-5 type job and don't have to drive day and night.  I don't think I would enjoy driving as much if I did it every day.

Plus, it is not very conducive  to family life if you have to be away so frequently.

J Route Z

Crazy Volvo Guy

I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

hbelkins

You were a roadgeek before you were a trucker, weren't you, Cullen?

We have a new roadgeek trucker. Ed Szuba from the Pittsburgh area (who may not be on this board, but whom many of you probably know from attending meets in the Ohio Valley area) recently took a job as a truck driver.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SteveG1988

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 10, 2014, 06:10:15 AM
Quote from: Molandfreak on October 10, 2014, 12:16:17 AM
If you'd consider basically any road travel enthusiast to be a roadgeek, then it'd basically be all truckers.

I'm sure many truckers are doing it because it's the job available.  I would want to think that long-haul truckers are a bit more of a travel enthusiast than, say, a trucker that maintains the same local route everyday, but they're probably bored at seeing much of the same thing day in and day out also.  I can't see truckers that have to go thru NYC on a daily basis enjoying the roads whatsoever (oh yay, another 1 hour backup to pay a $100 toll.  And oh yay, I'm getting stopped again to have my cargo checked by dogs...)

My company now pays 200 bucks if you have to do NYC.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: hbelkins on October 15, 2014, 11:50:32 AM
You were a roadgeek before you were a trucker, weren't you, Cullen?

Affirmative.  I found #roadgeek in 1999 and the rest is history.  Even at that time, becoming a trucker one day was on my mind, however.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.