News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

aaroads.com members you have met in real life

Started by bugo, October 24, 2014, 12:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura

Quote from: hbelkins on November 11, 2014, 10:31:21 PM
As for crashing road meets, there's only one that I've showed up for unannounced, that being the SWPA meet after Christmas in 2010. I didn't decide until the night before that I was going, and no one would have known I was going to be there unless they were watching Facebook, when I could still post my location -- and was actively doing so during my travels-- via one of the GPS apps on my iPad.

I believe this was the only meet I crashed as well. The surprised looks on everyone's faces were priceless, especially since it was snowing there and that we drove through the snow in Western MD to get there. We were younger and stupider then...there were 13 inches of snow projected to hit Baltimore that day. We had no plan for what to do if we couldn't make it home. By a crazy Christmas miracle, the snow shifted east, hitting Delmarva instead. We arrived home to one inch instead of 13.

iPhone

bugo

Quote from: froggie on November 11, 2014, 09:35:43 PM
Thinking some more about this topic....there are at least 6 hobbyists where the first time I met them WASN'T at a road meet:  bugo, Alex, Steve Riner (HighPlainsTraveler), Steve Anderson, Scott Kozel, and Darkchlyde.  I have NEVER seen the first four on the list at a roadmeet.  Not to say that they haven't attended meets...just that I was not present at whatever meets they may have attended.

I've been to OKC, Tulsa (host) and St Louis. Steve Riner has been to at least OKC and St Louis.

hbelkins

Quote from: Laura on November 12, 2014, 07:21:27 AM
I believe this was the only meet I crashed as well. The surprised looks on everyone's faces were priceless, especially since it was snowing there and that we drove through the snow in Western MD to get there. We were younger and stupider then...there were 13 inches of snow projected to hit Baltimore that day. We had no plan for what to do if we couldn't make it home. By a crazy Christmas miracle, the snow shifted east, hitting Delmarva instead. We arrived home to one inch instead of 13.

That's the meet where I was lucky enough that the battery had died on my Vue when I tried to start it that morning, so I ended up driving my old 4WD Toyota truck instead.

It started snowing on me on the return trip somewhere between Clarksburg and Weston. I thought about stopping at Weston to spend the night but ended up going on to Charleston. I-79 got snow-covered real quick and the idiot truck drivers were still blowing by at 70 mph in the dark when most traffic was negotiating the road at 45 mph. It was one of the most nerve-wracking trips I've made. I was thankful to make it to Charleston without having been involved in a wreck.

If I hadn't been in my 4WD I probably would have overnighted at Weston.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bandit957

Everybody sure was surprised when I showed up at the Ashland meet last year!
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

hbelkins

Quote from: bandit957 on November 12, 2014, 02:30:28 PM
Everybody sure was surprised when I showed up at the Ashland meet last year!

We knew you were coming. At least several of us did.

Takumi

Let's see...outside meets I've met only three members (Will Weaver, Sanctimoniously and 74/171fan) and everyone that attended the 2012 Richmond and 2014 Hampton Roads meets.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

andy3175

Since I live on the West Coast, there have been few road meets in California or adjacent states that I have attended. There was one time where Matt, Dale, and I met in Denver in 2002, but that was a one-time visit. I did manage to meet Scott O and Michael a year ago for an LA Hwy 99 tour, but traveling east to all the road meets in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast areas hasn't really been in the cards for me. Maybe someday I'll show up to one, but probably not anytime soon.

Most of my real life visits with aaroads.com members have been outside of official road meets.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

hm insulators

Truvelo is the only aaroads.com member I've ever met in person, although that is because we are both insulator collectors and we first met in Yuma, Arizona at an insulators collector's meet. Later, I found out completely by accident that he is also a roadgeek right here on this webpage! Not long after I joined aaroads, somebody named Truvelo joined from Birmingham, England, but his avatar at the time showed a Phoenix, Arizona street scene just a few blocks from where I live! Ultimately, I queried him about it and after a few exchanges of PMs, we realized that we were those insulator collectors that first met in Yuma! Small world.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Truvelo

Yes, it's amazing how many forum members turn out to be people you know. Incidently my current avatar is also from Arizona. I really do like my Saguaro :)

The only other person on this forum I believe I've met is J N Winkler who is also a member of a British roads forum. That forum has an annual event each April and I'm sure he was there one year.
Speed limits limit life

codyg1985

There are too many people to count on here, and I'm afraid I will leave someone out that I've met. A lot of you have covered me so far. My memory is so ass-tastic that I am not sure I can remember all the meets I've been to, but here goes:

Tulsa (2010)
Morgantown (2011)
Charleston (2011)
Memphis (2012)
Birmingham (2012)
St. Louis (2012)
Ashland (2013)
Wichita (2013)
Chattanooga (2013)
Pikeville (2013)
St. Louis (2014)
Nashville (2014)
Starved Rock (2014)
New York/New Jersey (2014)
NE Alabama (2014)

Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

english si

Quote from: Truvelo on December 05, 2014, 04:52:00 PMThe only other person on this forum I believe I've met is J N Winkler who is also a member of a British roads forum.
:wave:

I've met Truvelo and J N Winkler

bandit957

The only significant roadmeets I've been to were Ashland (2013), Cincinnati (2013), and St. Louis (2014), plus there was the Roads Scholar Summit recently in Tulsa. But I forgot about the Michigan's Thumb meet in 2003 that the Sesame Street Krew missed.

bugo

Quote from: bandit957 on December 08, 2014, 12:44:12 PM
The only significant roadmeets I've been to were Ashland (2013), Cincinnati (2013), and St. Louis (2014), plus there was the Roads Scholar Summit recently in Tulsa. But I forgot about the Michigan's Thumb meet in 2003 that the Sesame Street Krew missed.

The Roads Scholar Summit totally kicked ass. Much strategy was discussed, deals were brokered, and good BBQ was consumed.

hbelkins

Quote from: corco on October 24, 2014, 08:26:01 PM
As discussed at the NYC meet, I believe that Cody and I are the only roadgeeks to have met both Winklers, JN and Adam.

Actually, I'm pretty sure I've met Adam. I think he came to the "Carl got his car towed" meet in New Jersey a few years ago. And I met JN last year at Wichita.

bandit957

Quote from: bugo on December 08, 2014, 10:36:29 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on December 08, 2014, 12:44:12 PM

The Roads Scholar Summit totally kicked ass. Much strategy was discussed, deals were brokered, and good BBQ was consumed.

And the Sesame Street Krew missed it all.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.