News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Songwriters that have the same MO in every song no matter who vocalizes it

Started by roadman65, October 27, 2014, 10:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I have always loved Meat Loaf's Bat Out of Hell when it came out in the late 70's.  The music and the songs were awesome as there was something about the songs in it. 

Later I found out that Jim Steinman composed all the songs and did so for a lot of Meat Loaf's albums.  I also learned that Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart and Air Supply's Making Love Out of Nothing At All were also compositions that Steinman also wrote.

A few years back, a coworker was commenting on Bonnie Tyler's song saying that "You know what? Meat Loaf needs to sing this!" in which I chuckled and told him the story about the song being written by the same artist who wrote many Meat Loaf songs.

Then back in 08 when I was on a fly and drive road trip through Indiana and Michigan, I heard Air Supply's song by him, and I immediately knew it was a Jim Steinman song as I did hear Air Supply in an infermercial admit that Steinman did write one of their songs, but I failed to remember which one at the time.

Whatever it was, its kind of weird that something in every one of his songs sounds the same, considering when you hear Burt Bacharact's songs sung by either Dionne Warwick or Herb Alpert, you do not see a quick resembling like you do with Jim's compositions.  Something about anything written by Jim Steinman has a distinct sound that cannot be figured out, but determined.

Any other artists who write songs that could be told in the hearing of the song no matter who performs it?

BTW, if you want to catch what I am talking about listen to all of these songs sung by the different 3 and you will notice something familiarly common in all of them, but unable to place what it is.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brian556

I've noticed the similarities in "Total Eclipse of the Heart" and "Making Love Out Of Nothing At All". I guess I just thought it was because certain sounds are popular in certain time periods.

Also note that both songs have long titles.

Good songs.

Laura

Celine Dion, too. The song "It's All Coming Back to Me" was written for Meat Loaf, but due to some arguments that he and Steinman were having at the time, Steinman gave it to Dion to sing instead. Meat Loaf did record his own version of the song as a duet with Marion Raven.

In a similar vein, I always felt like anything Todd Rundgren produced also has a distinct sound that can't be placed, including Bat out of Hell.

spooky

When I saw the thread title, my first thought was Jim Steinman.

roadman65

Quote from: spooky on October 28, 2014, 07:03:35 AM
When I saw the thread title, my first thought was Jim Steinman.
I see you can feel something in his songs as well.

Sheryl Crowe

jp the roadgeek

To attempt to describe a Steinman template:  All are multi-versed, have a longer intro, a fast part for the verses, a slower part in the middle where the singer expresses some feelings, then a return to the main theme, oftentimes backed by a choir.  Oh, and most songs are at least 6 minutes long.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

roadman65

All except You Took The Words Right Out of My Mouth, and Two Out of Three Ain't Bad.   Then you have Paradise By The Dashboard Light which is actually 3 songs in one all with different tempos.

You Took The Words Right Out of My Mouth has no intro, but a spoken dialogue between Meat Loaf and Ellen Foley performing a parody of a sort about some ritual that wolves and vampires do, but has the same speed throughout most of the song.

But, you are right about the songs sung by Tyler and Air Supply as they have that MO to the tee.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.