News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Songs that you are tired of hearing on the radio

Started by roadman65, November 07, 2014, 03:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Manfred Mann's Blinded By The Light needs to be put to rest.  WMMO in Orlando plays the song too much.  Not only that they play the long extended version as well.

It has been over 30 years and somebody always has to include it in their play list as even in New Jersey WNEW, WPLJ, K Rock and other stations played it to death.

What songs would you like to see buried?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

posters that you are tired of seeing in recent unread topics
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

formulanone

People who race to be second to sidetrack such discussions.

Isn't this like the not-very-old "I Hate This Song!" Thread?

GaryV

"Love and Marriage" with words re-written (badly) for two candidates for the Michigan Supreme Court.

I am so glad the election is over!

getemngo

I fucking love "Blinded by the Light"... but only the extended version. (The short version sucks because they just try to cram in as many verses as possible.) One of my favorite guitar solos in any song. Bruce Springsteen's version is even better, and I'm not normally a Springsteen fan.

Quote from: GaryV on November 07, 2014, 07:08:53 PM
"Love and Marriage" with words re-written (badly) for two candidates for the Michigan Supreme Court.

Which candidates? Over here, we only got radio ads for Zahra, Redford, and Viviano, and they were ridiculously overblown. ("Did you know child predators are now using the Internet to lure children!?")
~ Sam from Michigan

Duke87

Radio has been obsolete as a means of listening to music for at least a decade. To me the title of this thread might as well be "Movies that you are tired of seeing on VHS".
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hotdogPi

Let It Go (from Frozen)

(Not on the radio, but I hear people sing it ALL THE TIME.)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

adventurernumber1

Quote from: 1 on November 07, 2014, 08:04:51 PM
Let It Go (from Frozen)

(Not on the radio, but I hear people sing it ALL THE TIME.)

People need to let that song go..ba dum tss..  :clap: :awesomeface:

But anyways, I don't listen to the radio all that much unless Pandora counts (at least Pandora plays me music I consider desecent), but for the times I am stuck listening to the radio, anything by Miley Cyrus can get annoying very quick  :banghead:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

hbelkins

I don't listen to music on the radio at all these days, but back when I did...

FREE BIRD!!!!!!

And yes, "Blinded by the Light." And "Layla."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

Quote from: Duke87 on November 07, 2014, 08:00:40 PM
Radio has been obsolete as a means of listening to music for at least a decade. To me the title of this thread might as well be "Movies that you are tired of seeing on VHS".

Not necessarily, a lot of people I know still listen to it.  In fact the arbetron still shows its very much alive. 

It all depends on where you are from.  Like Burt Reynolds says in Smokey And The Bandit "It all depends on what part of the country you are standing on as to how dumb a person is."   We have shown that here.

Just so you know I can name people who are obsessed with music as much as we are about roads and drive me crazy with their rants about radio stations, internet stations now, and other music sources playing songs like Blinded By The Light, Layla, and many Duran Duran along with Phil Collins all the time.

On the subject of movies seeing on VHS, remember those you pick yourself.  I think if you were tired you would not watch it at all!  Radio for that much, you have to listen to what a Program Director makes you listen to as you have no control over the songs yourself.

BTW, NE2 you need not be hard on yourself.

Sheryl Crowe

vtk

I'm tired of hearing the short version of Blinded By The Light. Also tired of hearing "Stay" by Jackson Brown without "The Load-out" which gives it emotional context. And then there are songs like Suite Judy Blue Eyes or Light My Fire where instead of taking out a big chunk, they shorten the song by snipping out a few phrases here and there from the instrumental parts, breaking the flow.

Getting away from the shortened songs beef:
  • Sweet Home Alabama (part of the blame rests with next entry)
  • All Summer Long
  • Midnight Train To Georgia
  • And We Danced
  • She Talks To Angels
  • Santa Claus Is Comin To Town by Springsteen
  • Last Christmas by anyone but Wam
  • A couple of songs by Sugar Ray, can't think of the titles
  • Big Yellow Taxi, version with the male vocalist
  • Any Nickelback song that gets airplay
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

GaryV

Quote from: getemngo on November 07, 2014, 07:37:34 PM

Quote from: GaryV on November 07, 2014, 07:08:53 PM

Which candidates? Over here, we only got radio ads for Zahra, Redford, and Viviano, and they were ridiculously overblown. ("Did you know child predators are now using the Internet to lure children!?")

Bernstein and Murphy.  It was an ad paid for by a non-candidate support group, so technically the two had nothing to do with it  At least they can so claim, and not have to take the blame.

Pete from Boston

Why would you listen to stations that repeat songs all the time?  This to me sounds like "Clothes you left on your floor that you are tired of tripping over."  It's all in your hands to fix it–listen to better radio!  It astounds me that this is a complaint in 2014 that people direct anywhere except at themselves. 

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 09, 2014, 10:15:07 AM
Why would you listen to stations that repeat songs all the time?  This to me sounds like "Clothes you left on your floor that you are tired of tripping over."  It's all in your hands to fix it–listen to better radio!  It astounds me that this is a complaint in 2014 that people direct anywhere except at themselves. 
Living in a relatively small radio market, I'm stuck with a few stations that play the kind of music I like. Unfortunately, there are some big hills between me and Denver that block stations I'd rather listen to. So, yes, I listen to the least bad commercial station when NPR doesn't have interesting programming.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

vtk

And sometimes, for one or more of a variety of reasons, it's just not convenient or practical to set up one's own MP3 player, Internet radio stream, or satellite radio receiver in a vehicle.

Henry

Quote from: vtk on November 08, 2014, 09:57:40 PM
  • Big Yellow Taxi, version with the male vocalist
The version you're thinking of is the one where the lead vocals are done by the singer from Counting Crows. But even that song has a female vocalist in it too, in the form of Vanessa Carlton.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Truvelo

Each year on my trip to Ohio in late October the songs I normally hear on the radio are Thriller and Ghostbusters but I didn't hear them once this year. Instead it was the typical 1980s rock tunes I always hear when visiting the States.
Speed limits limit life

vtk

Thriller gets some airtime year-round.

Somehow I managed to only hear The Monster Mash once this year.

Laura

anything by Train, Nickelback, John Mellencamp, or Pink (unless it's her song "Perfect"). Those are the only times where I will always change the station.

GCrites

sick of Bohemian Rhapsody. It loses its charm when played ad nauseum.

roadman65

At work you have to listen to whoever controls the radio.  Unless you worked at the job I had two years ago, you could bring your own boom box in until the anal GM considered them a safety hazard for whatever reason he was thinking that could have been for his assessment, as before I could listen to what I wanted without having to hear Tom Joyner, and his political rants as most of the people I worked with loved his program and tuned into local Star 94 on their own respected radios.

Sheryl Crowe

Laura

Quote from: roadman65 on November 13, 2014, 11:12:33 AM
At work you have to listen to whoever controls the radio.  Unless you worked at the job I had two years ago, you could bring your own boom box in until the anal GM considered them a safety hazard for whatever reason he was thinking that could have been for his assessment, as before I could listen to what I wanted without having to hear Tom Joyner, and his political rants as most of the people I worked with loved his program and tuned into local Star 94 on their own respected radios.

I worked at an office once where they decided to play the local "mix" station because it would have  "something for everyone" in the office. This was the timeframe when Rihanna, Katy Perry, and the Black Eye Peas were popular (2010-11). Other than the random 80's Michael Jackson song (for the "mix"), I swear this is all they played. Also, because it was a mix station, they were one song behind whatever the current hit was. Ugh.

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.