News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Best borough of NYC?

Started by J Route Z, November 19, 2014, 08:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J Route Z

What would be, in your opinion..if you've been there, the best borough in NYC? Why have NYC divided into different "municipalities"? Each one even has a borough president. And an awesome sign that may say "fuggeddaboutit".

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

The Nature Boy

empirestate

adventurernumber1

I actually may be going to NYC (which will be the first time I've ever been there) this January. So I guess I'll have to find out for myself which borough is the best  :D
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

SteveG1988

Nj should annex staten island
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Pete from Boston

Where in the world can a man find a woman fit for a king?

Queens!

In other words, clearly nobody has anything useful to say on the subject. Win some, lose some.

The Nature Boy

The problem with answering the OP is that the word "best" can mean so many different things to different people.

If you like dense urbanization, you'll love Manhattan
If you want a grittier urban environment, you'll love The Bronx
If you want a gritty but yet hipster environment, you'll love Brooklyn
If you want New Jersey, you'll love Staten Island

I don't know enough about Queens to make a comparison but I'm sure they have something nice too.

empirestate

Yeah, I mean...it all depends on what you look for in your boroughs. And even then, they each have the diversity of a major city in their own right, Manhattan actually the least so.

Scott5114

Quote from: J Route Z on November 19, 2014, 08:42:26 PM
Why have NYC divided into different "municipalities"? Each one even has a borough president.

Because they were originally different municipalities that merged into NYC. I would imagine boroughs were retained for the same reason states were retained under the Constitution–that way each area can determine the government that works best for it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NE2

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 21, 2014, 01:27:02 AM
Because they were originally different municipalities that merged into NYC.
Except Bronx, which was annexed gradually. And Queens and Staten Island had multiple towns. Even Brooklyn didn't cover the whole of Kings County until 1896, two years before consolidation. The boundaries don't even match the old counties; Bronx County wasn't created until 1914.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Laura

Quote from: NE2 on November 21, 2014, 02:30:30 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on November 21, 2014, 01:27:02 AM
Because they were originally different municipalities that merged into NYC.
Except Bronx, which was annexed gradually. And Queens and Staten Island had multiple towns. Even Brooklyn didn't cover the whole of Kings County until 1896, two years before consolidation. The boundaries don't even match the old counties; Bronx County wasn't created until 1914.

Even though Brooklyn was made up of seven towns, for census population purposes, they were lumped together as one unit. For top populations, New York City (Manhattan) was number one and Brooklyn was pretty high up there, if not number two.

To actually answer your question, OP, at the moment I like Brooklyn the best because it reminds me of what I imagined Manhattan was in the early 20th century. However, with all of the high density development pouring into downtown, I feel like I will start to like it less as time goes on. I love all of the old Brownstones, the parks, etc.

However, I've spent time in all five boroughs, and like them all for different reasons.

iPhone

empirestate

Fun Bronx fact: the word "the" officially appears in the name of the borough ("Borough of the Bronx") but not of the county ("Bronx County")–except in Spanish ("Condado del Bronx" = "County of the Bronx").  :wow:

That's the borough I live in at present, but I'm starting to wonder if Staten Island is more my scene. The Bronx has lots of parkland and open space, and several solidly middle-class neighborhoods like Throg's Neck, Woodlawn Heights, parts of Riverdale and much of Kingsbridge, not to mention some decidedly high-priced areas of Riverdale and its subdivision Fieldston.

Staten Island, meanwhile, with its population of less than a million, has the feeling of a mid-sized city, but with the government of a city of 8 million (for better or worse).

roadman65

For the best to visit, it would be Manhattan.  It has all the sites and of course Rockefeller Center.

For a nice evening on some amusement rides, its Coney Island and the world famous Nathan's.

For culture diversity its Brooklyn.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

Maybe we should open a poll.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

NE2

Quote from: Laura on November 21, 2014, 08:13:42 AM
Even though Brooklyn was made up of seven towns, for census population purposes, they were lumped together as one unit.
Not in 1890, but the vast majority of population was in Brooklyn.

empirestate

Quote from: roadman65 on November 21, 2014, 02:35:17 PM
For the best to visit, it would be Manhattan.  It has all the sites and of course Rockefeller Center.

What, you mean Rockefeller Center isn't a site? :-)

QuoteFor a nice evening on some amusement rides, its Coney Island and the world famous Nathan's.

Coney Island is part of Brooklyn, or did you not mean to distinguish the two?

Alps

Quote from: empirestate on November 21, 2014, 06:48:24 PM
QuoteFor a nice evening on some amusement rides, its Coney Island and the world famous Nathan's.

Shh, he's still confused by the numbers from the weather thread.

Quote from: empirestate on November 21, 2014, 09:10:58 AM
Fun Bronx fact: the word "the" officially appears in the name of the borough ("Borough of the Bronx") but not of the county ("Bronx County")–except in Spanish ("Condado del Bronx" = "County of the Bronx").  :wow:

That's the borough I live in at present, but I'm starting to wonder if Staten Island is more my scene. The Bronx has lots of parkland and open space, and several solidly middle-class neighborhoods like Throg's Neck, Woodlawn Heights, parts of Riverdale and much of Kingsbridge, not to mention some decidedly high-priced areas of Riverdale and its subdivision Fieldston.

Staten Island, meanwhile, with its population of less than a million, has the feeling of a mid-sized city, but with the government of a city of 8 million (for better or worse).
I could pick any borough as the best - except Staten Island. Staten Island is all of the taxes of the city and high prices of the bridges, minus the convenience.

empirestate

Quote from: Alps on November 22, 2014, 01:29:48 AM
I could pick any borough as the best - except Staten Island. Staten Island is all of the taxes of the city and high prices of the bridges, minus the convenience.

Fair point, but I'm already down on convenience where I live, and yet not getting all the benefits that should accompany it, so I'd be willing to concede a bit more on that point if it gets me a little (lot) more breathing space.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: empirestate on November 22, 2014, 07:59:33 AM

Fair point, but I'm already down on convenience where I live, and yet not getting all the benefits that should accompany it, so I'd be willing to concede a bit more on that point if it gets me a little (lot) more breathing space.

If you're considering Staten Island, you're not doing yourself any favors if you don't consider the rest of the inner suburbs as well (suburb meaning areas with suburban characteristics, which category includes Staten Island).

Not only are there other places with space, but most of them aren't limited to by four notoriously congested choke points to get in or out.

Tom958

Quote from: The Nature Boy on November 20, 2014, 08:48:32 PMI don't know enough about Queens to make a comparison but I'm sure they have something nice too.

Pirated from nextcity.org:

"New York has a reputation for high-priced real estate, and anyone who's ever visited likely has wondered, where does the guy who's selling me pizza live?

"'It's a hidden condition,' Bradley Samuels, of SITU, said. 'You have that thought but it's a fleeting thought, because it's hidden.' He went out to look for places where those people are, and he began to find them, with help, in the outer boroughs – in Jackson Heights, Elmhurst and Sunset Park. 'When you go there,' Samuels says, 'they appear to be low-density.'

"Yet far more people live there than appear to because many are hiding in illegal conversions of homes designed for fewer people. To get an estimate of how many, Samuels looked to 311 calls about illegal cohabitation. That's a proxy measurement that's going to be higher in areas where higher-income residents are moving in, but that data gives a hint of the hidden."

Pete from Boston

This is a map of where pizza guys live?

Now I want pizza.

Alps

Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 22, 2014, 09:53:52 AM
This is a map of where pizza guys live?

Now I want pizza.
Go to Queens and knock on doors.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 22, 2014, 09:10:47 AM

Quote from: empirestate on November 22, 2014, 07:59:33 AM

If you're considering Staten Island, you're not doing yourself any favors if you don't consider the rest of the inner suburbs as well (suburb meaning areas with suburban characteristics, which category includes Staten Island).

Not only are there other places with space, but most of them aren't limited to by four notoriously congested choke points to get in or out.

Staten Island seems like a place for people who want to say that they live in New York City but really want to live in suburbia. It's like a compromise.

The biggest advantage to Staten Island would be the Staten Island Ferry, which is great if you work in Manhattan.

roadman65

Quote from: empirestate on November 21, 2014, 06:48:24 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 21, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

What, you mean Rockefeller Center isn't a site? :-)

Yes I know Rockefeller Center is a site, but I used "especially" quite loosely to show its the ultimate of all sites there, not as something different.

Yes, I know Coney Island is Brooklyn, but I wanted to feature the borough's features separate from the features of the one area.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.