News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Song medleys that some radio stations purposely leave out or cut parts out

Started by roadman65, February 01, 2012, 07:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I was noticing that The Load Out/ Stay by Jackson Browne that are two live songs recorded on Browne's Running On Empty album, that are together as one long song on one local station in Orlando, was cut short by only playing the second part of the medley: Stay.

For those of you who are familiar with Jackson Browne and this particular song, know that the whole entire ensemble is a classic from beginning to end especially with guitar player David Lindley's falsetto vocal on the second verse of Stay.   That part is worth the wait after the already long The Load Out and by skipping all the first part, to me, ruins the entire song.  I feel, that if the format of the station does not allow for the whole song to be aired, then they should not even play the song because it would be like playing only the last line of, lets say Blinded By The Light by Manfred Mann.  Also, to play only the last line of Subdivision by Rush, etc.

Another song duo they have cut short would be Foreplay/ Long Time by Boston where the song starts with Long Time.  Then I even heard With A Little Help From My Friends by the Beatles played without Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and one Tampa Station leaving out the whole beginning of We're Not Gonna Take It by the Who and start the song from the lines "See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, etc...............Listening to you I climb a mountain etc."

Then there is the shortened Doors song Light My Fire leaving out the best part which is the long organ solo that top 40 oldies stations like to feature and Supertramp's Goodbye Stranger without the whistling part.   How about Billy Joel's My Life where the two line piano solo is left out which if played in its entirety would only lengthen the song by 10 seconds (I am sure the sponsers would not mind that few extra moments of time between their ads).

What other songs out there, does your favorite station cut short or leave out parts of a song you like.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hobsini2

I absolutely hate stations that cut out a 3 minute instrumental in Genesis' "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight". The only 2 stations by me that will occassionally play the full version are 95.9 The River in Aurora/Naperville IL and 97.1 The Drive in Chicago.

Also, unless a station, like The Drive, is doing an album sides weekend, you never hear "Another Brick in the Wall Part 1 or Part 3. What evferyone knows as that song is actually Part 2 and "Happiest Days of Our Lives" (the helicopter bit at the beginning).

Speaking of Pink Floyd, there are other songs that people think are just 1 song when they are really combined. For example, "Young Lust" is always paired with "Empty Spaces" at the beginning on the radio.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kurumi

There are a bunch that should be played together and sometimes are not. (Some titles may not be exactly correct)

Led Zeppelin, "Heartbreaker" / "Livin' Lovin' Maid"
Tears for Fears, "Head Over Heels" / "Broken" (partial)
ZZ Top, "Waiting for the Bus" / "Jesus Left Chicago"
Van Halen, "Eruption" / "You Really Got Me"*
Queen, "We Will Rock You" / "We are the Champions"
Yes, "Long Distance Runaround" / "Schindleria Praematurus"
Chicago, "Hard to say I'm Sorry" / "Getaway"
Journey, "Feelin' that way" / "Anytime"

Perfume's "Polyrhythm" has a polyrhythmic bridge (by far the most interesting part of the song) that was omitted in the radio edit. It has counts of 5, 6, and later 3 against a 4/4 bed.

And there are many songs with more interesting parts that I think would not make the radio edit today. The 6/4 vamp at the end of Toto's "I'll Supply the Love" for instance.

* go find the original Kinks version of "Eruption"; it's quite interesting :-)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

roadman65

Quote from: hobsini2 on February 01, 2012, 08:06:32 PM
I absolutely hate stations that cut out a 3 minute instrumental in Genesis' "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight". The only 2 stations by me that will occassionally play the full version are 95.9 The River in Aurora/Naperville IL and 97.1 The Drive in Chicago.

Also, unless a station, like The Drive, is doing an album sides weekend, you never hear "Another Brick in the Wall Part 1 or Part 3. What evferyone knows as that song is actually Part 2 and "Happiest Days of Our Lives" (the helicopter bit at the beginning).

Speaking of Pink Floyd, there are other songs that people think are just 1 song when they are really combined. For example, "Young Lust" is always paired with "Empty Spaces" at the beginning on the radio.
Brain Damage and Eclipse are two seperate songs, yet played together.

Zeppelin's Heartbreaker and Living Loving Made are two separate songs.

Travelin Man and Beautiful Loser are two separate songs by Seger that are played as one, but ironically are two different tracks on cd.

Fortuneatly, these are played on Classic Rock where they usually do not edit or play shortened versions, but the defunct Thunder 103.5 in Tampa was the one that cut out We're Not Gonna Take It by the Who.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: kurumi on February 01, 2012, 08:19:17 PM
There are a bunch that should be played together and sometimes are not. (Some titles may not be exactly correct)

Led Zeppelin, "Heartbreaker" / "Livin' Lovin' Maid"
Tears for Fears, "Head Over Heels" / "Broken" (partial)
ZZ Top, "Waiting for the Bus" / "Jesus Left Chicago"
Van Halen, "Eruption" / "You Really Got Me"*
Queen, "We Will Rock You" / "We are the Champions"
Yes, "Long Distance Runaround" / "Schindleria Praematurus"
Chicago, "Hard to say I'm Sorry" / "Getaway"
Journey, "Feelin' that way" / "Anytime"

Perfume's "Polyrhythm" has a polyrhythmic bridge (by far the most interesting part of the song) that was omitted in the radio edit. It has counts of 5, 6, and later 3 against a 4/4 bed.

And there are many songs with more interesting parts that I think would not make the radio edit today. The 6/4 vamp at the end of Toto's "I'll Supply the Love" for instance.

* go find the original Kinks version of "Eruption"; it's quite interesting :-)

I wish they would play the whole piano note at the end of Day In The Life by the Beatles.  Sometimes I even heard them leave out the Sergeant Pepper Reprise when playing that song too.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Green Day, Jaded sometimes follows Brain Stew on the radio, as if they go together. They don't.
I heard ONCE, and thankfully only once, We Will Rock You without We Are the Champions. I bet the DJ got fired for that one.
The end of Weezer's Undone often gets cut. It's a sort of piano solo, played I believe in the back of the piano where the strings are. It's the best damn part of the song.
One that really annoys me: when a few bars at the end of Boulevard of Broken Dreams get cut. Yes, they all sound the same, but there's a reason the end is prolonged. It sounds like shit when it goes right to the ending.
Finally, don't get me started when I'm traveling, and the one station with good music is the one that plays all its songs 1.1 times as fast to fit in more ads. I can hear the difference in pitch. I'd rather travel in silence and go crazy.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on February 01, 2012, 08:30:39 PM
I heard ONCE, and thankfully only once, We Will Rock You without We Are the Champions. I bet the DJ got fired for that one.

given that I think "We Are the Champions" is one of the most utterly stupid songs ever - I would buy that DJ a beer.

(the most utterly stupid classic rock song I can think of, btw, is Pat Benatar's "Hit Me With Your Best Shot".  Urgh.  Offspring's "Self Esteem" is also pretty onerous, but I don't think that's quite classic rock just yet.)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

The High Plains Traveler

How about songs where, years after the fact, suddenly people are taking offense? For instance, Lou Reed's Walk on the Wild Side; you won't hear the lyric played for many years "But she never lost her head, even when she was given head..." (maybe the censors just found out what that means).

Or, Dire Straits' classic Money for Nothing. There's the line that goes, "See that little (f*****t) cigarette with the earring and the makeup, yeah buddy, that's his own hair".  Now, I don't condone slamming gay people, but within the context of that song (some yokels working at Best Buy, hanging around the TV section from my reckoning) that line is totally ironic.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

agentsteel53

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on February 01, 2012, 08:44:58 PM
"See that little cigarette with the earring and the makeup, yeah buddy, that's his own hair".  

board censorship, or did you change the word yourself?

I think these days people are starting to figure out that the Christmas staple "Baby, It's Cold Outside" is kinda desperately creepy.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

texaskdog

Alan Parsons Projects, beginning of "Eye In The Sky", the part Ricky Steamboat once used for a ring entrance.

tchafe1978

Two songs that I think should be played together but aren't all the time, is Def Leppard's Bringin' on the Heartbreak and Switch 625. The second song is completely instrumental, but the first leads right into the second, with no break. I used to hear them played together all the time, but rarely anymore.

On another slightly related note, Mariah Carey's cover of Bringin' on the Heartbreak is one that should have never been done, and every copy of it should be blown up in a re-enactment of the Disco Night at old Comiskey Park. That's gotta be one of the worst covers ever.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 01, 2012, 08:47:27 PM
"See that little cigarette with the earring and the makeup, yeah buddy, that's his own hair".  

board censorship, or did you change the word yourself?

I think these days people are starting to figure out that the Christmas staple "Baby, It's Cold Outside" is kinda desperately creepy.
Wow, this is a politically correct board.  Intending offense to no one, just quoting a song and explaining its context, honest! One of my best friends is a cigarette :D.

Yeah, I do agree with you about Baby It's Cold Outside. Very suggestive in the 1950s era. We all know what happens after that "maybe just one cigarette more". (Literally a cigarette here).

xonhulu

Quote from: tchafe1978 on February 01, 2012, 09:09:51 PM
Two songs that I think should be played together but aren't all the time, is Def Leppard's Bringin' on the Heartbreak and Switch 625. The second song is completely instrumental, but the first leads right into the second, with no break. I used to hear them played together all the time, but rarely anymore.

The song was remixed or re-recorded after the success of "Pyromania," and the album it appeared on, "High 'N' Dry," was re-released with that and another new track.  The newer version didn't include Switch 625, and it's the one I hear played on the radio most often; that might explain things.

I'm just impressed you hear radio stations that play "Bringing On The Heartbreak" at all.  It's a great track, but I haven't heard it on the radio in ages!

roadman65

On another slightly related note, Mariah Carey's cover of Bringin' on the Heartbreak is one that should have never been done, and every copy of it should be blown up in a re-enactment of the Disco Night at old Comiskey Park. That's gotta be one of the worst covers ever.

I think Club Novea with their rap version of the Bill Withers tune Lean On Me is the worst do over ever!  Then there is that one rap group ( do not know their name) that redid Juice Newton's Angel of the Morning that rated high on Billboard's Top 40, but to me it ruined another good song.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

How about songs where, years after the fact, suddenly people are taking offense? For instance, Lou Reed's Walk on the Wild Side; you won't hear the lyric played for many years "But she never lost her head, even when she was given head..." (maybe the censors just found out what that means).

Or, Dire Straits' classic Money for Nothing. There's the line that goes, "See that little (f*****t) cigarette with the earring and the makeup, yeah buddy, that's his own hair".  Now, I don't condone slamming gay people, but within the context of that song (some yokels working at Best Buy, hanging around the TV section from my reckoning) that line is totally ironic.
I've actually heard all of those lyrics on the radio, along with the word "shit" by Lynyrd Skynyrd and Green Day. And System of a Down's Cigaro uncensored, before the radio realized what it had done and censored every subsequent replay.

Alps

Quote from: xonhulu on February 01, 2012, 09:26:26 PM

The song was remixed or re-recorded after the success of "Pyromania," and the album it appeared on, "High 'N' Dry," was re-released with that and another new track.  The newer version didn't include Switch 625, and it's the one I hear played on the radio most often; that might explain things.

I'm just impressed you hear radio stations that play "Bringing On The Heartbreak" at all.  It's a great track, but I haven't heard it on the radio in ages!

www.wdhafm.com

Takumi

"The Perfect Kiss" by New Order has long instrumental intro and outro sections, but the radio version edits them. The shorter version also inexplicably cuts out the vocals in the third verse (the music is still there, just an instrumental). That verse doesn't have any controversial lyrics; in fact, the only time the song's title is spoken is there.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

TheStranger

I think I've only heard "Any Colour You Like" from Pink Floyd 2 or 3 times, when it is directly linked to "Us and Them".

And that's on classic rock stations that in theory would be willing to play album tracks in full!
Chris Sampang

NE2

Quote from: Steve on February 01, 2012, 10:38:41 PM
I've actually heard all of those lyrics on the radio, along with the word "shit" by Lynyrd Skynyrd and Green Day.
It's only recently (10 or so years, off my lawn) that I've heard Pink Floyd's Money censored.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kurumi

The "Book of Rock Lists" notes that the AM radio edit of "Devil Went Down to Georgia" changed "I told you once, you son of a bitch" to "son of a gun" -- even though he's Satan, you'd better not describe him with a profanity on AM.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

The High Plains Traveler

Thinking of more bleeped (or not) songs - Show Biz Kids by Steely Dan, I know the FM station I listened to in Minneapolis played the entire line that went "Show biz kids making' movies of themselves, you know they don't give a f*** about anybody else."

Not sure if Green Day's Boulevard of Broken Dreams was originally bleeped. When I hear it on the radio it is now.  American Idiot is the only CD I own that has a parental advisory label.

Takumi

I once heard Boulevard of Broken Dreams at work, uncensored, about 4 years ago. I thought this was extremely odd, because CVS has a satellite radio that plays mostly softer music. It only played that one time, and I don't miss it. (I'm not exactly a fan of Green Day.)
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

elsmere241

Quote from: texaskdog on February 01, 2012, 09:09:02 PM
Alan Parsons Projects, beginning of "Eye In The Sky", the part Ricky Steamboat once used for a ring entrance.

That instrumental is called "Sirius".

Another one is "1984", before "Jump" by Van Halen.

1995hoo

Censored songs: Steve Miller's "Jet Airliner" has the single edit (which also appears on his greatest hits album that every college kid owns) that changes "funky shit goin' down in the city" to "funky kicks." I've only heard the uncensored version on XM, never on FM. First time I heard it I was surprised because I had only heard the single edit, but the censored lyric doesn't make any sense anyway. "Heart of Glass" is usually played as the single edit to avoid the "pain in the ass" line, but the single edit sounds better in my opinion because Debbie Harry's voice is recorded strangely at the end of the full version.

Oddly, "Who Are You" with its "who the fuck are you" is seldom censored even on FM in my experience. But many radio stations play the shorter single edit that leaves out the verse at the end and I find that jarring. The single edit of "Won't Get Fooled Again" is even worse, just destroys the song. Wang Chung's "Everybody Have Fun Tonight" often has that long interlude near the end edited out, the part that goes "every-body, every-one" over and over again; the reason I dislike hearing that omitted is that it contains the best line in the song when that guy sings "Can you tell me what a Wang Chung is?"

One song medley I do NOT mind hearing cut off on the radio is Chicago's "Hard to Say I'm Sorry/Get Away." While the edit is a little awkward if it's not faded properly, I've always thought the "Get Away" coda is utterly unnecessary and messes up a pretty good song and that the band should have just found a better way to end it on the first part.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.