News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Song medleys that some radio stations purposely leave out or cut parts out

Started by roadman65, February 01, 2012, 07:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

The Brady Bunch's bathrooms didn't even have loos - apparently the running joke on the set was that they all had to head to the gas station down the block for that minor detail.

Mike

DeaconG

When I was younger I always enjoyed listening to WDAS in Philly censoring the Isley Brothers' "Fight The Power", you always filled in the bleep with vigor..."with all that BULLSHIT going down...yeah!"
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

Quote from: mgk920 on February 05, 2012, 02:53:40 PM
The Brady Bunch's bathrooms didn't even have loos - apparently the running joke on the set was that they all had to head to the gas station down the block for that minor detail.

Mike

Hey on Sanford and Son, you never saw a bathroom.  There were some episodes where Lamont had to use what Hollywood referred to as a "fillin station."

Anyway, what did Bobby flush in the one fifth season episode when he pointed out to Peter (who made their bedroom No Man's Land) that the bathroom was on his side of the room taped off?  It must of been invisible!

On a serious note, we all know why and who is behind what.  Its all what sells and the nielsons that determine what we see on TV and radio is based off of that.  I was in advertising, and you must think like your customer if you want a sale.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Takumi

Last night the same radio station that plays Money For Nothing and Money uncensored played the censored version of Walk On The Wild Side. That struck me as a bit odd.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

english si

Quote from: Brandon on February 05, 2012, 10:31:45 AMThat was due to BBC rules, nothing in North America.  The BBC decreed that the Kinks couldn't have the "Coca Cola" version due to the possible advertising; a BBC prohibition at the time.  Hence, we have two versions of the song.  I've rarely heard the "cherry cola" version here.
Still is, though they are a bit more lax about it now (the BBC has no adverts except for trailers for it's own programming and by law cannot).

This year's Superbowl coverage handled it a lot better than previous years - both in limiting the amount of sponsored segments of the US network coverage (minimising time brand logos appear on screen) and in filling the gaps in coverage with interesting analysis and some clips, rather than American Football 101 (though to be fair, this is only the 5th year it has been aired on a free-to-air channel here and basic level explanations of what has just happened were needed by a lot of people watching a couple of years ago - we had "what is a safety" explained 2 years ago, this year it was just "why that was a safety").

agentsteel53

Quote from: roadman65 on February 03, 2012, 10:13:04 PM

Also, if I am not mistaken, but the line in Take It To The Limit by the Eagles "You can spend all your time making money, you can spend all your love making time" was most likely edited cause it does not make sense!  If money had love in it, the phrase would and be a neat one at that.

I had always thought it was hyphenated.  "you can spend all your love-making time" (making money instead, being the implication)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

renegade

Quote from: hbelkins on February 02, 2012, 03:27:51 PM
Back in the days of vinyl, the area's album rock station (WKQQ-FM in Lexington, then 98.1, now 100.1) played "Living Loving Maid" and "Ramble On" as a medley.

When they went to CDs, it became "Heartbreaker" and "Living Loving Maid."

Not sure why they made that change.

Not a change.  It's always been that way.  "Ramble On" stood by itself.  "Heartbreaker" and "Living Loving Maid" always ran together.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

1995hoo

Quote from: renegade on October 09, 2014, 01:49:25 PM
Back in the days of vinyl, the area's album rock station (WKQQ-FM in Lexington, then 98.1, now 100.1) played "Living Loving Maid" and "Ramble On" as a medley.

Not a change.  It's always been that way.  "Ramble On" stood by itself.  "Heartbreaker" and "Living Loving Maid" always ran together.

Funny, I think of "Heartbreaker" as being followed by "Communication Breakdown" because that's how they appear on the 1990 boxed set, they run together quite cleanly, and that's the first time I'd heard either song all that often because I didn't listen to the radio much until I went off to college and the only Zeppelin album I had prior to the boxed set was IV.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

spooky

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 09, 2014, 02:43:53 PM

Funny, I think of "Heartbreaker" as being followed by "Communication Breakdown" because that's how they appear on the 1990 boxed set, they run together quite cleanly, and that's the first time I'd heard either song all that often because I didn't listen to the radio much until I went off to college and the only Zeppelin album I had prior to the boxed set was IV.

The box set was so strange to me because "Heartbreaker" wasn't followed by "Living Loving Maid".  I'll agree that it runs together nicely with "Communication Breakdown", but I still found myself singing "with a purple umbrellla..."

SidS1045

Quote from: roadman65 on February 05, 2012, 02:26:16 PM
Jack Parr, one host of the Tonight Show long before Leno, got fired for mentioning the word "water closet."

Paar was not fired from the Tonight Show.  He left on his own, on March 29th, 1962.

The story is that he told the water-closet joke, which was a double-entendre-filled bit in which the letters WC were misinterpreted as "Wayside Chapel," during his monologue on February 10th, 1960.  After the show was recorded, but before it was aired on the east coast, NBC's censors edited the joke out of the video tape without notifying Paar.  He watched the show from home and obviously knew the joke had been deleted.

After supposedly getting no sleep that night, he came out on stage the next night and started talking about the deletion of the joke, remarked (in part) "there must be a better way to make a living than this," and walked off, leaving announcer Hugh Downs to do the rest of the show.  He stayed out for just under a month and returned on March 7th, remarking: "As I was saying before I was interrupted...When I walked off, I said there must be a better way of making a living.  Well, I looked, and there isn't."  He then told the WC joke again, and it was NOT cut that time.

Today the joke would be considered tame and unworthy of even a fleeting mention, but one didn't talk about toilets on TV back then.  Here it is:

An English lady, while visiting Switzerland, was looking for a room, and she asked the schoolmaster if he could recommend any to her. He took her to see several rooms, and when everything was settled, the lady returned to her home to make the final preparations to move.

When she arrived home, the thought suddenly occurred to her that she had not seen a "W.C."  around the place. So she immediately wrote a note to the schoolmaster asking him if there were a "W.C."  around. The schoolmaster was a very poor student of English, so he asked the parish priest if he could help in the matter. Together they tried to discover the meaning of the letters "W.C.,"  and the only solution they could find for the letters was "Wayside Chapel."  The schoolmaster then wrote to the English lady the following note:

Dear Madam:

I take great pleasure in informing you that the W.C. is situated nine miles from the house you occupy, in the center of a beautiful grove of pine trees surrounded by lovely grounds. It is capable of holding 229 people and it is open on Sunday and Thursday only. As there are a great number of people and they are expected during the summer months, I would suggest that you come early: although there is plenty of standing room as a rule. You will no doubt be glad to hear that a good number of people bring their lunch and make a day of it; while others who can afford to go by car arrive just in time. I would especially recommend that your ladyship go on Thursday when there is a musical accompaniment. It may interest you to know that my daughter was married in the W.C. and it was there that she met her husband. I can remember the rush there was for seats. There were ten people to a seat ordinarily occupied by one. It was wonderful to see the expression on their faces. The newest attraction is a bell donated by a wealthy resident of the district. It rings every time a person enters. A bazaar is to be held to provide plush seats for all the people, since they feel it is a long felt need. My wife is rather delicate, so she can't attend regularly. I shall be delighted to reserve the best seat for you if you wish, where you will be seen by all. For the children, there is a special time and place so that they will not disturb the elders. Hoping to have been of service to you, I remain,

Sincerely,

The Schoolmaster
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

hbelkins

No. Like I said, until the advent of CDs, it was "LLM" and "Ramble On," and "Heartbreaker" was not a part of it. Maybe that was just specific to WKQQ-FM, but that's what I was used to.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

Some stations deliberately leave out We're Not Gonna Take It's first part and begin the song from the lines "See me, feel me etc."  Even though not a medley as it is one song, some may take it as two completely different songs because of the three different tempo changes within the song.

I do not know why you leave out half the song.  Usually you would only edit lines of a song to make it shorter or instrumental parts like they did with The Doors Light My Fire.  However one station called Thunder 103 Five in Tampa always did that as well as a few others I have heard it as well.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

"See Me, Feel Me" was in fact released as a single even though it's not a solo track on the album, and you can find it in that form on Who's Better, Who's Best (as well as a live version from Woodstock on The Kids Are Alright). Based on that, I don't see any problem with a radio station playing just that portion.

bugo

Slayer's Postmortem/Raining Blood would make this list except that radio stations never play Slayer.

bugo

Quote from: Alps on February 01, 2012, 10:38:41 PMSystem of a Down's Cigaro uncensored, before the radio realized what it had done and censored every subsequent replay.

This is the song about shit stinking.

US71

Rolling Stones "Lets Spend the Night Together" was changed to "Let's Spend Some Time Together" for Ed Sullivan

Kid Rock's "All Summer Long" while we were trying different things we were smoking funny things was often changed to ...we were trying different things we were {blank} funny things
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

agentsteel53

Quote from: bugo on October 10, 2014, 04:38:49 PM
Slayer's Postmortem/Raining Blood would make this list except that radio stations never play Slayer.

the reason "Raining Blood" is nowadays believed to start with the last riff set of "Postmortem" is because the first CD release mistracked everything.  the correct tracking would be somewhere in the middle of the rainstorm, as is logical. 

I have heard Raining Blood on the radio*, and they indeed started at "my sinful glare at nothing" because that's very likely how the CD was tracked.  I believe more recent remaster CDs have a correct tracking.

* there was a show late Saturday nights called the Metal Zone, with Dr. Metal, coming out of Providence.  Dr. Metal died in the Great White fire of 2003.  I was one reluctant buddy with transportation ("dude, Great White sucks!") from being at that show.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

roadman65

On editing our local rock station now WMMO does not like the GD word in Life In The Fast Lane and not only editing it out themselves, but sounding so terrible at it. 

Then you have them edit out the line of Money For Nothing by Dire Straits that mentions "Look at the f**t with the earring and the make up, yeah that's his own hair" from their airplay, but I imagine that was done in the studio before time.

Playing Guitar by the artist named John with the many last names has the classic line "Oh yeah and learn about that macho shit and learn how to play guitar" has a version that uses "stuff" instead of the S word.

Edit :Speaking of edits What the heck is going on with this site?  It edits out the one word I am trying to make a point of on Money For Nothing and twice it changed it to the word cigarette in this here post.  It looks like music is not the only one editing out things.  Scary I must say.  The word I am talking about is obvious to what it is, but it is the one word to a gay person that is equivlant to the N word for African Americans.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

On some sites that use the same or similar software to this forum, you can get around a word filter by formatting the text midway through the word. For example, I was once a member of a forum (that no longer exists) where the word filter would not allow the word "cock" nor any word containing "cock," even legitimate words like "Hitchcock" (a name that came up often enough since it was a hockey forum and Ken Hitchcock is an NHL coach). If you formatted the text to make one or two letters mid-word boldface or italicized ("Hitchcock," for example), the word filter was fooled into allowing it.

I make no comment either way about how the moderators here would react to your doing this, and you try it at your own risk because if they feel strongly enough about it to put in a word filter, they probably have serious objections to that word. Speaking solely from own viewpoint, it seems to me people need to be mature enough to recognize when a word is being used in a neutral way–such as a quotation–and I think it's pretty pathetic that American society feels you can't even use some of those words when you are discussing those words. Or, put differently, one of my college professors (Julian Bond) taught a course about the civil rights movement and he said he would use the word "nigger" at times because he felt it offensive and inappropriate to sugar-coat the vile behavior civil rights protestors encountered, and using euphemisms like "the N-word" constituted sugar-coating in his view. In other words, I think in instances like the final sentence of your post, it should be OK to use both of the words in question–as I've done here with the racial term–because there's no remote way they're being used to offend. The moderators may disagree, however. I also think, of course, such use should be appropriately rare. It's sophistry to come up with such sentences on a routine basis simply as a means of trying to "justify" using a word that's normally offensive. (Sort of like how Bart Simpson once noted Homer's illegitimate half-brother was a bastard–a correct use of that word–but his parents made him shut up when he then tried to use it constantly.)

Edited to add: I see this technique works here because I tried it when I saw the forum censored the racial term. If the moderators deem it unacceptable, I will edit the post to remove that word.

renegade

Quote from: bugo on October 10, 2014, 04:43:47 PM
Quote from: Alps on February 01, 2012, 10:38:41 PMSystem of a Down's Cigaro uncensored, before the radio realized what it had done and censored every subsequent replay.

This is the song about shit stinking.

... aaand cock size
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Pete from Boston

The only time I ever saw a self-censoring board was one that for a week changed all instances of the word "fuck" to "Nina Totenberg."  It was Nina Totenberging hilarious.

kurumi

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 11, 2014, 11:53:56 AM
The only time I ever saw a self-censoring board was one that for a week changed all instances of the word "fuck" to "Nina Totenberg."  It was Nina Totenberging hilarious.

That's clbuttic!
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Pete from Boston

Reminds me of a BBS (remember those?) that wouldn't allow the word "chardonnay" because it contains the string "hardon."

roadman65

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 11, 2014, 01:21:55 PM
Reminds me of a BBS (remember those?) that wouldn't allow the word "chardonnay" because it contains the string "hardon."
Hey that one is interesting.  You can't spell chardonnay without H-A-R-D-O-N.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.