News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Overhead Sign Blowing Around on Calgary Freeway

Started by dmuzika, August 15, 2012, 11:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmuzika

There was a severe thunderstorm that went through Calgary, someone caught this footage of an overhead sign bouncing around in the wind (gusts at 100 km/h / 60 mph).

Notice how one of the signs falls at the end of the video.

Stephane Dumas

agentsteel53

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on August 15, 2012, 04:24:48 PM
The "dancing sign" was on AB-2(Deerfoot Trail) in Calgary.
http://jalopnik.com/5935065/watch-a-canadian-highway-sign-bend-like-crazy-in-the-wind?comment=51890193

glad nobody was hurt.  "impaled by a Clearview sign" would be the shittiest thing to have written on one's gravestone, ever.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

vdeane

QuoteI especially like how drivers are hitting their brakes right as they see it, because who the hell wants to drive under that? Actually, that prudence is warranted, as at the end of the video, half the sign plummets to the ground.
While you do get more reaction time at slower speeds, you also increase the time you're in the danger zone.  The driver filming this wouldn't have been near the falling sign if traffic moved faster through there.  Seems to me the safest thing to do here would be to move to the outer lanes and put the petal to the metal.  Going slowly to increase your reaction time does not help you if there's nowhere to maneuver to, as in this situation.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

dmuzika

^^^
True enough, and easy to say in retrospect, but that's not necessarily true.  For example, what if it was the larger "Deerfoot Trail"  sign that fell instead of "32 Ave" ?  Also, it's possible that the sign might have fallen sooner than it did, allowing the driver to slam on the brakes.

Either way, it would still be crazy to see that while driving on a freeway!

rickmastfan67

That is unreal!  I've never seen a gantry do that before!!

(BTW dmuzika, I fixed the link above so it would embed here in the forums properly. ;))

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

rickmastfan67

Brandon

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 15, 2012, 04:28:36 PM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on August 15, 2012, 04:24:48 PM
The "dancing sign" was on AB-2(Deerfoot Trail) in Calgary.
http://jalopnik.com/5935065/watch-a-canadian-highway-sign-bend-like-crazy-in-the-wind?comment=51890193

glad nobody was hurt.  "impaled by a Clearview sign" would be the shittiest thing to have written on one's gravestone, ever.

Agreed.  Just so long as the tombstone isn't written in Clearview.  :pan:

I'm not so sure I'd have continued going under the gantry once I saw it dancing like that in the wind.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

dmuzika

Reminds me of the old videos of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse.  This has hasn't been seen in Calgary before, and we get high winds a fair bit with the Chinooks.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

Quote from: dmuzika on August 15, 2012, 06:29:10 PM
^^^
True enough, and easy to say in retrospect, but that's not necessarily true.  For example, what if it was the larger "Deerfoot Trail"  sign that fell instead of "32 Ave" ?  Also, it's possible that the sign might have fallen sooner than it did, allowing the driver to slam on the brakes.

Either way, it would still be crazy to see that while driving on a freeway!
Better to have the side door grazed by the big sign in the left lane than to be in the center lanes and have it crash through the roof.  Plus the longer wait = greater likelihood of it falling on top of you.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

deathtopumpkins

Is it just me or does that monotube gantry look WAY too thin for the sign it's holding? It looks more like a lighter-duty signal mast arm or something. Doesn't look nearly as thick and substantial as the monotube gantries used here in Mass.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.