News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Hwy 99 in California

Started by Tom, June 22, 2009, 09:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

With talk of changing Hwy 99 to an Interstate, do you favor this change?

Change to I-7
10 (33.3%)
Keep as CA-99
1 (3.3%)
Change to I-9
7 (23.3%)
Revert to US-99
12 (40%)
Other/Unsure
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: September 29, 2009, 09:42:25 PM

Quillz

Well, I've changed my mind. I just came back from Three Rivers the other day, and I've come to realize just how much I like CA-99. I'd hate to see the number retired. 99 is an important number to Californians, it was once called the "Main Street of California."

I think my new opinion is to make all of CA-99 between Wheeler Ridge and Sacramento up to Interstate standards (the speed limit has recently been upped to 70 MPH), but keep the CA-99. Don't sign it as an Interstate highway at all. (Similar to how I-238 is built to Interstate standards but considered non-chargeable, so it doesn't actually require the Interstate shield.)

Roadsign199qc

Hi!

Interstate Trav

I do agree, I think that keeping it as SR 99 is fine.  they just need to upgrade the 99. I also feel the same way about the 14, I really hope they don't eventually convert that to an Interstate.

nexus73

Since there are some very large sections of 99 in the Pacific Coast states, I'd like to see US 99 put back in place.  Cosign it with I-5 from Redding to Ashland and then as needed as we go north.  Feeling really ambitious?  Cosign US 99 through SoCal to SR 86S/86 and then give back US 99 to the Coachella and Calexico folks! 

To Interstate Trav: SR 14 in California could get the US 6 number back and be cosigned with US 395 when it intersects that road on the way to Bishop.  "US Highway" sounds more important than "State Route" and the Antelope Valley Freeway is certainly important!  CalTrans intends to have all of what is now 14 upgraded to 4-lanes on that road's northernmost section.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Interstate Trav

True the Antelope Valley Freeway is important (actually is also one of my favorite Freeways) I guess thats why I want the SR 14 to stay since I'm very used to it.

xonhulu

While I usually would want to see a US Route restored, putting US 6 back onto CA 14 would involve such a long duplex with 395 that it really wouldn't be practical.  But I'm totally with you on restoring US 99, and extending US 60 back to LA would also be cool.

agentsteel53

the most logical place to extend US-60 is over AZ-72 and CA-62.  There'd be about a 20 mile multiplex with I-10 unless the road were put onto old 60 at Banning for the last 8 miles or so to the current CA-60 split at Beaumont.  Between Banning and 62 there really is no alternate route besides 10, as the freeway was built essentially on top of the old road.  Maybe the road through Cabazon (another old 60 alignment) and also Old Morongo Road (not old 60, but well-known as the last place to have an uncovered "US 60" sign in California, which survived until 2005), but those are fairly obscure.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Desert Man

"Keep it fine at 99" from Bakersfield or starting at the Ridge Route north of L.A. of Sylmar to the inland ports of Stockton or Lodi, south of Sacramento. I don't know about another interstate from Sac. Airport to Red Bluff or Redding, despite the growth around Chico and Yuba City/Marysville in a relatively lesser populated region.

To further add the I-7 and I-9 (and I believe I-11) were once proposed highway routes for the San Diego area, Imperial and Indio/Coachella valleys, except they are now Cal. routes 7, 78, 86, 111 and I-905 in San Ysidro from I-5 to the Mexican border port entry/Otay Mesa state prison.

Interstate-11 is now for a proposed freeway from either Reno, Nevada or Las Vegas to Kingman, Arizona or Phoenix.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Quillz

Quote from: xonhulu on February 24, 2011, 03:53:57 PM
While I usually would want to see a US Route restored, putting US 6 back onto CA 14 would involve such a long duplex with 395 that it really wouldn't be practical.  But I'm totally with you on restoring US 99, and extending US 60 back to LA would also be cool.
I really don't see the issue with this concurrency. It's a bit long, yes, but looking at a map, it makes perfect sense. There are far worse concurrencies that are either longer or make less logical sense to be together in the first place (like two east-west routes sharing a road). There is already a concurrency shared between US-395 and CA-168, so what's one more?

Besides, CA-14 doesn't even fit, as it's almost an entirely north-south route. Free up the number for use elsewhere and bring back US-6 (as well as restoring its status as the longest road in America.)

TheStranger

Quote from: Quillz on May 18, 2011, 06:12:28 AM
yes, but looking at a map, it makes perfect sense. There are far worse concurrencies that are either longer or make less logical sense to be together in the first place (like two east-west routes sharing a road).

The whole purpose of the 1964 renumbering - good or bad - was to remove excessive amounts of concurrencies and excessively long concurrencies, of which US 6 to Long beach fit both categories at times.

Route 14 is far from the only even north-south route in California, for that matter.
Chris Sampang

NE2

Besides, CA-14 doesn't even fit, as it's almost an entirely north-south route. Free up the number for use elsewhere and bring back US-6 (as well as restoring its status as the longest road in America.)
Last I checked, US 6 was also an even-numbered north-south route in California.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Quillz

Quote from: NE2 on May 18, 2011, 01:40:36 PM
Last I checked, US 6 was also an even-numbered north-south route in California.
Yes but the vast majority of the route is east-west, or diagonal. Caltrans generally assigns numbers based on the route's overall orientation.

Although they have given "east" and "west" cardinals directions to some freeway entrance locations for US-101 in the S.F. Valley because of a lengthy east-west alignment.

NE2

Quote from: Quillz on May 18, 2011, 03:59:21 PM
Yes but the vast majority of the route is east-west, or diagonal.
Until you enter California.

Quote from: Quillz on May 18, 2011, 03:59:21 PM
Caltrans generally assigns numbers based on the route's overall orientation.
Really? Does the "1926-1964" to the left mean that you're talking about pre-renumbering?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Quillz

Yes, that was the last year US-99 was recognized in CA, although I think it may have continued to exist on paper until around 1972 or so.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Quillz on May 18, 2011, 04:34:42 PM
Yes, that was the last year US-99 was recognized in CA, although I think it may have continued to exist on paper until around 1972 or so.

I think the last US-99 signs were put up in 1969.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Quillz

Oh, they were? I didn't know that, I thought all new signage would have ended around '64 or so.

Although I figure signage would have continued until I-5 was fully completed through the state.

Desert Man

The topographic-road map of the Coachella Valley, updated from the first sketch in the 1950s to final upgrade in the late 1970s. Use the arrows and re-sizing method, to see what the area looked like from downtown Palm Springs...east to Palm Desert and Indio, by following the US routes 60-70-99 (the railroad bypasses Palm Springs) and state route 111 meets the US highway again in Coachella.

http://www.trails.com/topo.aspx?lat=33.8303&lon=-116.54529&s=50&size=s&style=drgsr
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

OCGuy81

The Western I-99  :-P

If Pennsylvania gets a numbering error, we can too!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.