News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Oklahoma US70 Alternate (Wilson)

Started by yakra, May 25, 2012, 04:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yakra

Oklahoma US70 Alternate (Wilson):

AASHTO does not recognize this route.
GIS & Okladot control section maps list it as US70A. OK76 trumps US70A for a primary route number, so it's inconclusive whether it overlaps OK76 or ends at it.
City (1990) & County (2010) maps have US70A shields on the whole thing.
Even if Okladot considers this a US Route on paper, they don't sign it as one:
Every sign I see in GMSV has it signed inna Meat Cleaver stylee as OK70A, and it's pretty clear about END!ing at OK76.

The GMSV photos are dated June 2009. Anyone know if the signage situation has changed in the last few years?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Scott5114

As far as I know it should be OK-70A, and ODOT just has gotten their wires crossed. Oklahoma tends to number short routes like this as the parent route+a letter. This could just as easily be OK-76A, or OK-70H, or whatever. (You can see examples of this further to the east...nearby is OK-77S and OK-70F.)

I think that considering it to be OK-70A makes the most sense as 1) AASHTO never approved a US 70A or US 70 ALT here, 2) it doesn't make any sense as an alternate of US 70 (it should be a business loop if anything), 3) there are other OK-##As in the state and they serve a similar function to this 70A, 4) that's how it is signed in the field.

ODOT similarly has their wires crossed over US 75 ALT in the Tulsa area...some signs say US 75 ALT, some say US 75A, some say OK-75A. But AASHTO recognizes it as 75 ALT, so that's what it is.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bugo

It's US 75A/ALT 75.  And it ends at the US 75/I-244 interchange, no matter what the signage says.

yakra

AAAUUGH!! You said "OK-77S"! I had to spend a good 15 minutes rocking back & forth in the fetal position in the corner before I could reply to this post. But anyway...

I asked because Oklahoma US70 Alternate (Wilson) is included on the Clinched Highway Mapping site, and I just wanna be sure my decision to remove it soon is completely justified.
One little thing to note is that Okladot duplicates US-##As & US-##Bs, but doesn't seem to duplicate OK-##Xs. At least, that I've seen, that I'm aware of. There is another OK-7A, farther east, here. So, there's that weird little wrinkle.

Either way, I agree that it's the same in its function as other OK-##x routes, and the field signage is an even stronger argument in its favor.
Thanks for the replies.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Scott5114

To be correct it should just be ALT 75. 75A is not necessarily a synonym for ALT 75 in Oklahoma like it is in Arkansas, since Oklahoma uses letter suffixes to denote spur routes (see OK-74B C D E F and formerly A and G, OK-77C D H and S, etc.). (It could be OK-75A if ODOT wished, but AASHTO has it on their books as ALT 75, so unless ODOT gets it removed from that system, it's wrong to sign it that way.)

The control section maps show ALT 75 as ending at the point where SH-66 merges into I-44. It doesn't continue into Tulsa County. (Signage ends at the SH-66 junction back in Sapulpa, doesn't it?)

Also, yakra, I hate to shatter your illusions about OK's highway system, but...there are three 9As. :spin: Why they're not 9A, 9B, and 9C, I have no idea, since the aforementioned SH-74 runs its spurs up to 74F (and formerly had a 74G). Also, if you've looked at 77S then OK-63A will seem tame by comparison... For weird route numbering fun, look no further than OK-251A.

yakra

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 25, 2012, 11:50:32 PM
The control section maps show ALT 75 as ending at the point where SH-66 merges into I-44. It doesn't continue into Tulsa County. (Signage ends at the SH-66 junction back in Sapulpa, doesn't it?)
I'd be hesitant to say control section maps say anything definitive about a route's end, as they just list the primary route number for a given section. Whether anything is multiplexed over it takes additional detective work.

QuoteAlso, yakra, I hate to shatter your illusions about OK's highway system, but...there are three 9As. :spin:
<grin> No illusions here, that's why I qualified it, saying ones I'd seen. :) All for the better, it makes more sense this way. A little. I mean... as much sense as Oklahoma can make...

QuoteWhy they're not 9A, 9B, and 9C, I have no idea, since the aforementioned SH-74 runs its spurs up to 74F (and formerly had a 74G). Also, if you've looked at 77S then OK-63A will seem tame by comparison...
Hm. That's a good one. OK-77D is pretty fun too.

QuoteFor weird route numbering fun, look no further than OK-251A.
Bah! An orphaned route, I can live with. (I can swear I've seen`em elsewhere, forget where...) I's got only two endpoints, and isn't shaped like an X! Taaame! 77S really takes the cake; that's gotta be the most bizarre route I've seen in the US.

Scott5114

251A makes less sense when you realize there never has been a 251.

yakra

Alps

Quote from: yakra on May 26, 2012, 12:58:56 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 25, 2012, 11:50:32 PM
For weird route numbering fun, look no further than OK-251A.
Bah! An orphaned route, I can live with. (I can swear I've seen`em elsewhere, forget where...) I's got only two endpoints, and isn't shaped like an X! Taaame! 77S really takes the cake; that's gotta be the most bizarre route I've seen in the US.
Wait... so... 77S goes up... BOTH sides of the lake?

yakra

Yes.
And west to I-35. *And* south to OK32.
Like this.

Alps

Quote from: yakra on May 26, 2012, 01:40:02 PM
Yes.
And west to I-35. *And* south to OK32.
Like this.
Google maps shows the west and east branches as SR 77. I kind of like the idea that maybe OK 77R could be half of the plus and 77S can remain the other half. Or we can bask in the idiotic glory that is 77S as it stands. (Check out Monmouth County Route 6 in NJ sometime for a laugh, also on my site.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.