Historic U.S. 6 - west of Quad Cities

Started by Alex, May 25, 2012, 07:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

The stretch of former U.S. 6 between Davenport and Wilton gets Historic U.S. 6 signage.

Old 6 gets its proper name back

QuoteEight big historic-type signs will be erected next month. They will say "Historic Iowa US 6 Route"  and the state of Iowa or federal government has nothing to do with it.

Mayors of three towns along the way – Walcott, Durant and Wilton – agreed on the signs at a summit meeting with the Route 6 Tourist Association.

QuoteAll was well for the Old 6 stretch out of Davenport to Wilton until it was upstaged by I-80. Bureaucrats turned it into an alphabet soup of names, none of them with a "6."  By 1980, the federal government turned the highway over to the state, renaming it IA 927. By 2003, the historic route had been reduced to a mere county road, F58.

QuoteA presentation and dedication of the signs will be 6 p.m. June 14, Wilton Community Center.

Alps

Alex

Quote from: Steve on May 25, 2012, 07:37:59 PM
Just after I took the road, too. :P

I have yet to travel along that road, but will definitely check it out next visit to the QC.  :nod:

bugo

QuoteAll was well for the Old 6 stretch out of Davenport to Wilton until it was upstaged by I-80. Bureaucrats turned it into an alphabet soup of names, none of them with a "6."  By 1980, the federal government turned the highway over to the state, renaming it IA 927. By 2003, the historic route had been reduced to a mere county road, F58.

LOL

Alps

What's so funny about Federal Route 6?

pianocello

I'm glad they're doing this to a road that doesn't have as huge a national significance as 66 or 99. They should sign other locally important historic US highways around the nation as well.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.