News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

FHWA Admin visit I-90/Cliff in Sioux Falls

Started by M86, September 21, 2013, 03:45:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M86

This is a bit old, but I stumbled upon it again.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/pressroom/fhwa1338.cfm

I'm from Sioux Falls (love the city, hope to move back someday), and I welcome the new SPUI at I-90/Cliff Avenue, but why was the FHWA Administrator (Victor Mendez) there?  I consider myself a Liberal Dem, but jeez, what a waste of $$$.

There are currently 4 SPUIs in Sioux Falls (three on I-29 and one on I-229).  The one being constructed at Cliff & I-90 isn't anything special.

Any thoughts?

Scott5114

I think Mendez shows up at the dedication of every major highway project. He spoke at the I-40 realignment in Oklahoma City.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

M86

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 21, 2013, 02:42:04 PM
I think Mendez shows up at the dedication of every major highway project. He spoke at the I-40 realignment in Oklahoma City.

I can see him showing up for the I-40 project in OKC... but I-90/Cliff in Sioux Falls?  Seems silly to me... He didn't show up when I-29 was reconstructed through Sioux Falls from 2 lanes in each direction to 3 lanes with auxiliary lanes, and new interchanges at Benson Road and Madison Street, and a SPUI at 12th Street.

I probably should be grateful that he's giving a crap about the smaller states.  Represent!

froggie

Wow...South Dakota has a 6-lane road now...?!

agentsteel53

Quote from: froggie on September 24, 2013, 08:48:43 AM

of course.  they're not North Dakota.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

The High Plains Traveler

South Dakota does love those SPUIs. There are at least 4 that I know of at Rapid City.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

M86

Quote from: froggie on September 24, 2013, 08:48:43 AM

Actually, if you include the auxiliary lane on I-29, it's eight lanes.  Big city livin'.

I don't live there anymore, but damn, do I miss their planning for the future growth.

froggie

Quoteof course.  they're not North Dakota.

Believe it or not, North Dakota's may predate South Dakota's.  Fargo area has had a 6-lane I-94 for at least 15 years, and a 6-lane I-29 for over 10.

M86

Quote from: froggie on September 25, 2013, 03:15:45 AM
Quoteof course.  they're not North Dakota.

Believe it or not, North Dakota's may predate South Dakota's.  Fargo area has had a 6-lane I-94 for at least 15 years, and a 6-lane I-29 for over 10.

Ummmm, I believe you might be wrong.  There is no way Fargo has had 6 lanes since 1998... and the 6 lane on I-29 was within the last 10 years.  I-94 in Moorhead has a new interchange at 34th Street S... And I believe they closed off the interchange at Main Avenue/I-94 Business Loop.  The current Google Street View (Satellite imagery) :  http://goo.gl/maps/PlWIL

Fargo does have the nice flyover from I-29 SB to I-94 EB. :)

froggie

M86:  I-94 between I-29 and US 75 has been 6 lanes since at least 1999.  I was first on it then and also have a couple scanned photos floating around.  MnDOT's project logs for the river bridge suggest it might have been before that.  6 lanes on I-29 (including the flyover you mentioned) was in place no later than summer of 2005, but I'm pretty sure I remember part of the 6-laning north of I-94 existing before then.

M86

Quote from: froggie on October 03, 2013, 08:42:22 AM
M86:  I-94 between I-29 and US 75 has been 6 lanes since at least 1999.  I was first on it then and also have a couple scanned photos floating around.  MnDOT's project logs for the river bridge suggest it might have been before that.  6 lanes on I-29 (including the flyover you mentioned) was in place no later than summer of 2005, but I'm pretty sure I remember part of the 6-laning north of I-94 existing before then.
Froggie, I was mistaken.  Thank you for the info.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.