News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Columbia Missouri Business Loop 70

Started by andy3175, December 29, 2015, 12:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy3175

I located a few articles about redevelopment along Business Loop 70 in Columbia, Missouri. There were two items I found to be of interest:

- Business Loop 70 in Columbia was commissioned in 1960 (replacing US 40) according to this article:
http://kbia.org/post/thinking-out-loud-architecural-and-social-history-old-highway-40

- A new taxing community improvement district was created for the areas along Business Loop 70 to improve services along the route. Evidently this business loop is called either that or "the loop." In most places I've visited that have an off-Interstate business loop traveling through them, I've not seen the business loop designation used as a place name in a community. I've only passed through Columbia once in my travels. A series of articles appears in the local newspaper and TV station about the intent of the district, including the following links:

http://www.columbiatribune.com/business/street_talk/after-sales-tax-election-victory-business-loop-cid-looks-to/article_babbcc57-541d-5a5e-aca5-5f83dc95bfdd.html

http://www.abc17news.com/news/cid-board-of-directors-to-meet-for-first-time-after-business-loop-sales-tax-passes/37008382

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/news/local/business-loop-cid-examines-debt-future-projects-after-sales-tax/article_80d3aaa8-a4d6-11e5-bfbc-37db703e8a2e.html

QuoteCarrie Gartner, the district's executive director, said some of the sales tax revenue will be set aside to address debt and that some revenue would immediately be invested into the Business Loop. Gartner said she didn't know specifically how much would go toward paying down debt or toward projects within the district.

A few possible plans were discussed, including partnering with MU's Museum of Art and Archaeology to hang banners along the Business Loop and working with the city to landscape concrete medians near Hickman High School.

But more detailed plans are on hold until the board hires a consultant and receives more feedback from a community survey on its website.

The survey had 220 respondents by Monday. When asked what the district's top priority should be, making the Business Loop "more attractive," business "development, recruitment and retention" and "infrastructure improvements" were the top three responses. Respondents also listed "old" and "ugly" as the top two words that described the Business Loop.

http://www.komu.com/news/business-owners-respond-to-business-loop-70-cid-tax-approval/

http://www.abc17news.com/news/voters-to-decide-on-business-loop-cid-sales-tax-thursday/36886822

Do locals in Columbia actually refer to the area through which Business 70 passes as the "business loop" or "loop" part of town? Is the route really that run down?
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

brycecordry

I live in Columbia. The area in which the Business Loop runs through is considered to be either downtown or north of town, depending on who you ask. I myself consider Business Loop to be the dividing line between the two, but more northern, as northern Columbia is notorious for VERY high crime, which category the Business Loop Area fits into, especially east of Hickman High School. I can also affirm the fact the Business Loop is VERY run-down, especially the further east you go, due to the lack of developed businesses along that stretch. What follows is a description of driving down the road from east to west.

After getting off of the "left exit" on I-70 (exit 128), you encounter a bunch of old motels that are now used for low-income housing, a car repair shop, and a few Hardware Stores on the south side, and a local restaurant and used appliance shop on the north. After intersecting Old Highway 63 and passing under Paris Rd, you find a few tractor shops and auto parts stores, all close to Paris Rd. You then pass the power plant and another old abandoned motel, as well as another car repair garage. On the corner of College Ave, you will find a Roller Rink, a Pawn Shop, a Used Car Dealership, and a third car repair garage. Between College and Range Line, there are more car repair shops, and numerous title loan outfits, not to mention the Senior Center. Past Range Line, there is a whole strip of almost all abandoned buildings along the south side of the street, which I assume used to be businesses for Route 40 travelers. The few businesses that remain are a few bars and gentleman's clubs. On the north side, there are more pawn shops and title loan places, plus a flooring shop. However as soon as you pass that abandoned strip, more fast-food restaurants and businesses dot the strip, as you approach Hickman High School and Providence Road. West of Providence, there are more fast-food restaurants and more general activity, although there are still a few abandoned buildings and strip malls here and there. As you approach Garth Ave, you encounter the Chevrolet Dealership, as well as the first gas station along the route. A shoe shop is also on that corner. Going on, there is a medical office building, combined with more fast-food restaurants and a chain used-car shop (as opposed to the local ones back east). You then pass the Parkade Plaza, on the north side. This houses a community college, and some other shops out front. Across the street there are more stores, an office building, a few banks, and the town's Kia Dealership. Just before reaching I-70 there are two grocery stores and the U-Haul lot, as well as an Econo-Lodge. After passing under I-70 (Exit 125), the Business Loop changes character again. Adjacent to the interstate there is a Comfort Suites motel, an antique mall, and a mostly-full strip mall on the south, while on the north side there is a cemetery. After this section, the north side is bordered by a large park for the rest of the block. Across from the park, there is a Veterinarian's office, a retirement community/nursing home, as well as several accountants and insurance agents. A self-storage facility and extended-stay motel top off the strip before terminating at Stadium Blvd, adjacent to its interchange with I-70 (exit 124).

Hope this helps!
A freeway is a freeway. We could cheaply build many new Interstates if it weren't for the nitty-gritty intricacy of Interstate Standards.

m2tbone

As someone from the Columbia area, it has always been referred to as Business Loop 70 or just the Business Loop.  Compared to the rest of Columbia, it is a bit aged and run down.  However, most of Columbia has been booming with new growth for years, so in comparison, Business Loop 70 is behind the rest of the city. 
I wouldn't consider the Business Loop downtown at all.  Back in the 80s, this is where many new restaurants and businesses were located, but as the city has expanded, this area has seen relatively little reinvestment.  The power lines along the road make it look very dated, and the development along the route is very random.  The area near Providence Rd. feels the most up-to-date, as well as the west end of the route near I-70.  (I know it continues over to Stadium Blvd., but that doesn't feel like the same area since it is disconnected.). Many of the buildings have been reused over the years but aren't like the attractive historic buildings you see downtown. A change in zoning and some beatification work could boost this area, I think.

mrsman

Quote from: brycecordry on December 29, 2015, 04:23:49 PM
I live in Columbia. The area in which the Business Loop runs through is considered to be either downtown or north of town, depending on who you ask. I myself consider Business Loop to be the dividing line between the two, but more northern, as northern Columbia is notorious for VERY high crime, which category the Business Loop Area fits into, especially east of Hickman High School. I can also affirm the fact the Business Loop is VERY run-down, especially the further east you go, due to the lack of developed businesses along that stretch. What follows is a description of driving down the road from east to west.

After getting off of the "left exit" on I-70 (exit 128), you encounter a bunch of old motels that are now used for low-income housing, a car repair shop, and a few Hardware Stores on the south side, and a local restaurant and used appliance shop on the north. After intersecting Old Highway 63 and passing under Paris Rd, you find a few tractor shops and auto parts stores, all close to Paris Rd. You then pass the power plant and another old abandoned motel, as well as another car repair garage. On the corner of College Ave, you will find a Roller Rink, a Pawn Shop, a Used Car Dealership, and a third car repair garage. Between College and Range Line, there are more car repair shops, and numerous title loan outfits, not to mention the Senior Center. Past Range Line, there is a whole strip of almost all abandoned buildings along the south side of the street, which I assume used to be businesses for Route 40 travelers. The few businesses that remain are a few bars and gentleman's clubs. On the north side, there are more pawn shops and title loan places, plus a flooring shop. However as soon as you pass that abandoned strip, more fast-food restaurants and businesses dot the strip, as you approach Hickman High School and Providence Road. West of Providence, there are more fast-food restaurants and more general activity, although there are still a few abandoned buildings and strip malls here and there. As you approach Garth Ave, you encounter the Chevrolet Dealership, as well as the first gas station along the route. A shoe shop is also on that corner. Going on, there is a medical office building, combined with more fast-food restaurants and a chain used-car shop (as opposed to the local ones back east). You then pass the Parkade Plaza, on the north side. This houses a community college, and some other shops out front. Across the street there are more stores, an office building, a few banks, and the town's Kia Dealership. Just before reaching I-70 there are two grocery stores and the U-Haul lot, as well as an Econo-Lodge. After passing under I-70 (Exit 125), the Business Loop changes character again. Adjacent to the interstate there is a Comfort Suites motel, an antique mall, and a mostly-full strip mall on the south, while on the north side there is a cemetery. After this section, the north side is bordered by a large park for the rest of the block. Across from the park, there is a Veterinarian's office, a retirement community/nursing home, as well as several accountants and insurance agents. A self-storage facility and extended-stay motel top off the strip before terminating at Stadium Blvd, adjacent to its interchange with I-70 (exit 124).

Hope this helps!

If it's a dangerous area, better not to sign a business route through.  Keep tourists away from this area and any US 40 traffic should stay on I-70.

brycecordry

Quote from: mrsman on December 30, 2015, 09:00:30 AM
If it's a dangerous area, better not to sign a business route through.  Keep tourists away from this area and any US 40 traffic should stay on I-70.

It is not really that dangerous to those driving by, but there is just simply not really anything of worth there. This is likely because the southern part of town (where I live) has grown up to be a more livable place, while the northern part has fostered much much more crime, which in turn drew businesses away from almost anything north of Downtown (except the Mall and Conley Rd area). Many of my neighbors avoid the area north of town (especially north of I-70 and west of 63) like the plague.
A freeway is a freeway. We could cheaply build many new Interstates if it weren't for the nitty-gritty intricacy of Interstate Standards.

andy3175

Thank you everyone for your insight! If I find anything else of interest on Columbia's business loop, I'll be sure to post it here.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

cappicard

Due to Scotts Boulevard being shut down for road construction in the SW part of town, a relative of mine suggested I take K Highway as a detour a few weeks ago.  A bit funny of my car featuring a K-State tag being driven through the west edge of Mizzou campus.

I eventually took 163 Highway upto I-70. Wow, that stretch of 70 westbound just west of 163 was somewhat undaunting with the road construction there (no shoulders).

route56

Quote from: cappicard on January 04, 2016, 03:06:10 PM
A bit funny of my car featuring a K-State tag being driven through the west edge of Mizzou campus.

Could be worse. It could be a Jayhawk tag (or any Kansas tag with a "DG" in the upper left-hand corner) being driven through the west edge of the Mizzou campus. ;)
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

cappicard

Quote from: route56 on January 08, 2016, 08:12:42 PM
Quote from: cappicard on January 04, 2016, 03:06:10 PM
A bit funny of my car featuring a K-State tag being driven through the west edge of Mizzou campus.

Could be worse. It could be a Jayhawk tag (or any Kansas tag with a "DG" in the upper left-hand corner) being driven through the west edge of the Mizzou campus. ;)
That is so true! Lol!

iPhone

noelbotevera

I wonder why they haven't mirrored the business loop to run south of the city, considering the north side is armageddon.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

brycecordry

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 08, 2016, 08:45:17 PM
I wonder why they haven't mirrored the business loop to run south of the city, considering the north side is armageddon.

Well, the business loop does run south of the interstate, but the city has grown up south rather than north.

m2tbone

The north side of Columbia is not bad at all.  Hundreds of new homes and several businesses have opened north of I-70 there in the last decade.  Many roads have been improved in that time, too.  The Business Loop 70 area is just behind in its redevelopment than the rest of the city. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.