News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Remaining narrow grassy medians on Oklahoma Turnpikes

Started by bugo, February 18, 2010, 04:40:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

The part of the Muskogee south/east of Muskogee has the narrow dangerous grassy median, and the last time I was through there the Cimmaron east of US 177 had the grassy median.  What other Okie turnpikes retain this relic?

Scott5114

Got pictures? All of the I-44 turnpikes have concrete barrier medians.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

I was under the impression that all of the pre-1980 turnpikes still had the grassy median.  Certainly the full length of the Cimarron Turnpike still had it when I did a day trip to Tulsa (out of Wichita) in early January.  The H.E. Bailey Turnpike still had the grassy median when I drove its entire length in December 2002.  I don't know how far OTA has gotten in terms of cable barrier retrofits, but I don't remember any on the Cimarron Turnpike.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

okroads

The southern section of the H.E. Bailey (I-44 between U.S. 70 & OK 36) still has this narrow grassy median.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alex

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 18, 2010, 07:21:40 AM
Got pictures? All of the I-44 turnpikes have concrete barrier medians.

My video of Interstate 44 between OKC and Tulsa shows construction to replace some of the then-grassy medians.

bugo

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.