News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New McDonald'ses too ugly to eat in

Started by GCrites, September 05, 2014, 04:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

You know it is not just McMac's as we all know, as posted previously, as KFC, Taco Bell, and even Wendy's are all changing the facade of their stores.  In fact KFC in Waterbridge Downs Plaza in Orlando, FL actually tore the old building down and built a new one from the ground up.

It seems like we live in the time where new is the thing whether its road signs, ball parks, or restaurants.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Zeffy

In Hillsborough, there's a Burger King less than 2 minutes away from my house that has been closed for nearly a year now (if not more) to completely re-do the building. The result? Well, I'll tell you this: My craving for a Whopper has been astronomically high since it closed.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

roadman65

You have not seen the McDonalds on Sand Lake Road and I Drive in Orlando.  The building was expanded so many times over that you can see the original building buried beneath the new additions.

Believe me you would not have a desire to want a Big Mac either if you drove by here.

Sheryl Crowe

golden eagle

If you think the McDonaldses are bad, you should go inside Wendy's. I almost feel like I need to put on a tuxedo when I go into one.

GCrites

on_wisconsin

Quote from: roadman65 on September 12, 2014, 03:27:20 PMIt seems like we live in the time where new is the thing whether its road signs, ball parks, or restaurants.
Indeed, you say this like it's a bad thing. Out with the old in with the new, as the saying from time immemorial goes. One can fight it, but in the end you can't stop time/ progress.

On Topic: McDonald's new and re-imaged stores are a hell of a lot better then the old cheap wallpaper and plastic booth motif. IMHO
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

vdeane

To the levels it's taken today, it is.  Replacing old with new if new is better is a good thing, but these days want new for the sake of new even if old is better.  Just look at the smartphone/tablet frenzy and the subsequent dumbing-down of computing that not even desktop PCs are immune to, or the insistence on putting a computer in everything (for example, it is now impossible to dispose of a copier without risking the leak of private information due to the fact that they include hard drives and store every copy ever made, or the fact that cars get more vulnerable to hacking every year).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

formulanone

Quote from: GCrites80s on September 19, 2014, 05:49:27 PM
Wendy's is for girls.

Smack my ass and call me Susan.

I'll enjoy my food rather than worry about aesthetics.

english si

roadman65

I have a new Wendy's near my house and already its being gutted for a new store.  Many Wendy's have changed the font on its logo and are now changing the facades on each building little by little.  I kind of like the new look, but everything is going overboard.

Quote from: on_wisconsin on September 20, 2014, 10:35:41 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on September 12, 2014, 03:27:20 PMIt seems like we live in the time where new is the thing whether its road signs, ball parks, or restaurants.
Indeed, you say this like it's a bad thing. Out with the old in with the new, as the saying from time immemorial goes. One can fight it, but in the end you can't stop time/ progress.

On Topic: McDonald's new and re-imaged stores are a hell of a lot better then the old cheap wallpaper and plastic booth motif. IMHO
Actually I am, but not that much as to pick it the streets, but for many years road signs have existed and never been changed.  Now in many places, like take DE for example with how many times signs have been changed in the past twenty years on the 295 and 95 freeways, when in the previous 30 years prior the same signs stood with no need to change.

Thank God for the traditional fans of the Chicago Cubs or Wrigley Field would be a memory.  If you are a true sports fan, then you would know that a Ball Park is part of sports nostalgia and they are just as part of history as the teams and players.   In Orlando we needed the new Amway Centre like we need a hole in our heads!  The old Amway was only 22 years old when demolished and it served its purpose of being a great home for the Orlando Magic.  If it ain't broke then don't fix it!

Sheryl Crowe

getemngo

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 09, 2014, 03:04:37 PM
Are there any McDonalds' that still have the building in the original look & shape? 

Back in the mid-80s, there was one along MA 38 near I-495 in Lowell that still featured the old retro 50's look (red & white tile with arches on each side of the building).  It currently no longer sports that look.

There really is a Wikipedia article for everything.

FYI, the current building style is officially called "Forever Young"; retail enthusiasts have nicknamed it the "Eyebrow of Doom".
~ Sam from Michigan

on_wisconsin

Quote from: roadman65 on September 20, 2014, 01:19:17 PM
If you are a true sports fan, then you would know that a Ball Park is part of sports nostalgia and they are just as part of history as the teams and players.
True, but the majority of baseball parks built in the last 20 years have replaced mostly non-historic concrete dumps such as Three Rivers Stadium, Veterans Stadium, Cinergy Field (Riverfront), Busch Stadium II, the Metrodome, King Dome, Qualcomm Stadium, Shea, Fulton County Stadium, etc.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Scott5114

McDonald's has got a bunch of road enthusiasts talking about their restaurant designs. Every time someone refreshes the off topic forum they briefly think about McDonald's.

This is why McDonald's spent the money to rebuild their restaurants.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jp the roadgeek

I have a new Wendy's near my house and already its being gutted for a new store.  Many Wendy's have changed the font on its logo and are now changing the facades on each building little by little.  I kind of like the new look, but everything is going overboard.

Actually I am, but not that much as to pick it the streets, but for many years road signs have existed and never been changed.  Now in many places, like take DE for example with how many times signs have been changed in the past twenty years on the 295 and 95 freeways, when in the previous 30 years prior the same signs stood with no need to change.

Thank God for the traditional fans of the Chicago Cubs or Wrigley Field would be a memory.  If you are a true sports fan, then you would know that a Ball Park is part of sports nostalgia and they are just as part of history as the teams and players.   In Orlando we needed the new Amway Centre like we need a hole in our heads!  The old Amway was only 22 years old when demolished and it served its purpose of being a great home for the Orlando Magic.  If it ain't broke then don't fix it!

Tell that to the Braves, who are replacing a park that was opened in 1997!!
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Laura

Quote from: on_wisconsin on September 20, 2014, 01:40:45 PM
If you are a true sports fan, then you would know that a Ball Park is part of sports nostalgia and they are just as part of history as the teams and players.
True, but the majority of baseball parks built in the last 20 years have replaced mostly non-historic concrete dumps such as Three Rivers Stadium, Veterans Stadium, Cinergy Field (Riverfront), Busch Stadium II, the Metrodome, King Dome, Qualcomm Stadium, Shea, Fulton County Stadium, etc.

This. It genuinely pains me that so many young stadiums have been replaced. The Romans could build a stadium that has lasted 2000 years and we start replacing them after 20 years. However, knowing that most of them were bland, concrete doughnuts unsuitable for either baseball or football makes me feel a bit better about the situation.

What doesn't make me feel better is the way taxpayers are held hostage into paying for stadiums and are still paying them off after they've been demolished. Teams should pony up the costs for stadiums themselves.

I'd like to hope that we won't be massively rebuilding this generation of stadiums.

iPhone

The Nature Boy

Demolishing Yankee Stadium and rebuilding it in the parking lot was a stupid idea. I also hated that Tiger Stadium was demolished for the sake of revitalizing Downtown Detroit (at the expense of hurting Corktown). Between those two stadiums, so much baseball history went up in smoke.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: The Nature Boy on September 21, 2014, 10:30:14 PM
Demolishing Yankee Stadium and rebuilding it in the city park baseball field was a stupid idea. I also hated that Tiger Stadium was demolished for the sake of revitalizing Downtown Detroit (at the expense of hurting Corktown). Between those two stadiums, so much baseball history went up in smoke.

FTFY.

Tiger Stadium provided the most satisfying game-watching experience I've had in a major league park.  The cheap seats were great.

Look up "Navin Field Grounds Crew."  The site of Tiger Stadium is still kind of a bright light in that neighborhood.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 21, 2014, 11:34:28 PM

Demolishing Yankee Stadium and rebuilding it in the city park baseball field was a stupid idea. I also hated that Tiger Stadium was demolished for the sake of revitalizing Downtown Detroit (at the expense of hurting Corktown). Between those two stadiums, so much baseball history went up in smoke.

FTFY.

Tiger Stadium provided the most satisfying game-watching experience I've had in a major league park.  The cheap seats were great.

Look up "Navin Field Grounds Crew."  The site of Tiger Stadium is still kind of a bright light in that neighborhood.

Been there and walked around the grounds. It's a sad situation.

I've met Michiganders who defend the decision by saying "Oh Comerica is a great park." I've been to Comerica and it is a great ballpark but it lacks the history of Tiger Stadium.

SD Mapman

I've been to some in Wyoming that are awesome... the one in Evanston has fountains and is quite pretty.
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 20, 2014, 05:56:56 PM
McDonald's has got a bunch of road enthusiasts talking about their restaurant designs. Every time someone refreshes the off topic forum they briefly think about McDonald's.

This is why McDonald's spent the money to rebuild their restaurants.
Yes! Product Placement!
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Laura

Quote from: The Nature Boy on September 21, 2014, 11:53:15 PM

FTFY.

I've met Michiganders who defend the decision by saying "Oh Comerica is a great park." I've been to Comerica and it is a great ballpark but it lacks the history of Tiger Stadium.

Yep. The absence of these two stadiums is quite sad to me.

I miss Baltimore's Memorial Stadium being such a presence in the Waverly neighborhood. They've built some really nice senior housing and a Y there, but it's not the same.

iPhone

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Laura on September 22, 2014, 08:54:38 AM

FTFY.

I miss Baltimore's Memorial Stadium being such a presence in the Waverly neighborhood. They've built some really nice senior housing and a Y there, but it's not the same.

iPhone

It kind of brings into question for me the whole idea of putting a stadium in downtown. Sure, it helps to revitalize it but it also helps to economically bring down another part of your city. Detroit already had Ford Field in their downtown, I don't think Comerica added enough to warrant tearing down Tiger Stadium. Now with the Joe going down and the Red Wings moving downtown, Detroit's downtown is basically becoming the "Illitch Family Sports Complex." You can never convince me that tearing down Tiger Stadium was the right thing to do. Even if you use the excuse that it had fallen into disrepair, they could've closed done what was done with Fenway and slowly renovate it over a decade.

Detroit basically sacrificed Corktown and a large chunk of their history to somehow revitalize downtown. It's a weird bit of urban planning.

Laura

Quote from: The Nature Boy on September 22, 2014, 09:02:30 AM

FTFY.

iPhone

It kind of brings into question for me the whole idea of putting a stadium in downtown. Sure, it helps to revitalize it but it also helps to economically bring down another part of your city. Detroit already had Ford Field in their downtown, I don't think Comerica added enough to warrant tearing down Tiger Stadium. Now with the Joe going down and the Red Wings moving downtown, Detroit's downtown is basically becoming the "Illitch Family Sports Complex." You can never convince me that tearing down Tiger Stadium was the right thing to do. Even if you use the excuse that it had fallen into disrepair, they could've closed done what was done with Fenway and slowly renovate it over a decade.

Detroit basically sacrificed Corktown and a large chunk of their history to somehow revitalize downtown. It's a weird bit of urban planning.

Baltimore is not the best example for this because it was the archetype. It worked very well here to move the Orioles to Camden Yards and to built M&T Bank Stadium next to it when the Ravens moved to town. Yes, it did remove baseball from Waverly, which changed its neighborhood, but the benefits downtown can't be argued.

I can't speak for other cities at this time, but I can probably give a better answer by the end of the semester.

iPhone

GCrites

Here's an Eyebrow of Doom sans eyebrow. I don't know what's going on with the building. It's in East Memphis.

McDonald's (Oakhaven in east Memphis): Giant missing eyebrow of doom by l_dawg2000, on Flickr

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Laura on September 22, 2014, 09:50:24 AM

Quote from: The Nature Boy on September 22, 2014, 09:02:30 AM

FTFY.

iPhone

Baltimore is not the best example for this because it was the archetype. It worked very well here to move the Orioles to Camden Yards and to built M&T Bank Stadium next to it when the Ravens moved to town. Yes, it did remove baseball from Waverly, which changed its neighborhood, but the benefits downtown can't be argued.

I can't speak for other cities at this time, but I can probably give a better answer by the end of the semester.

iPhone

There's a lot to be said for Oriole Park but if it's the archetype, it's not really the prototype.  While it's tasteful, considered, and relevant to its surroundings, many of the buildings it begat are sort of ugly hulks dressed up in brick and painted steel, looking often like a big lumpy adult wearing children's clothes to look cute.  Modern sports facilities often have more common lineage with shopping malls than with Tiger Stadium or Shibe Park.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: GCrites80s on October 13, 2014, 11:57:10 AM
Here's an Eyebrow of Doom sans eyebrow. I don't know what's going on with the building. It's in East Memphis.

McDonald's (Oakhaven in east Memphis): Giant missing eyebrow of doom by l_dawg2000, on Flickr

Is it finished?  There are McDonald's in some towns (Newton, Mass., Sturbridge, and someplace on the Cape come to mind) that don't allow the big electric signage on the older stores.  I could see the "eyebrow" being restricted away there.  Some of these places have a wooden sign with a light shining upon it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.