News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmeiser

Wouldn't hurt to widen Ditch and that bridge either along with the roundabout at 96th.  Lots of traffic backups there around rush hour.

silverback1065

Quote from: bmeiser on May 10, 2016, 11:23:27 AM
Wouldn't hurt to widen Ditch and that bridge either along with the roundabout at 96th.  Lots of traffic backups there around rush hour.
That roundabout is overmatched at times, I wish it were 2 lanes coming in from all directions. They are metering the roundabout at keystone and smokey row (136th) due to congestion during rush hr.

ysuindy

billtm

Quote from: ysuindy on May 12, 2016, 09:23:15 AM
A nice aerial view of the upcoming reroute of US 33 in Goshen in this story

http://www.wndu.com/content/news/Ceremony-for-groundbreaking-of-US-33-realignment-project-379155001.html

So why in the world would they put US33/SR15 on Main St. instead of 3rd for the stretch between Pike and Madison St.? 3rd looks like a higher quality road to me. :confused:

Revive 755

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 10, 2016, 11:25:29 AM
They are metering the roundabout at keystone and smokey row (136th) due to congestion during rush hr.

I'm curious how they are doing the metering - with an upstream traffic signal, police directing traffic, or did they install ramp meter type indications?

silverback1065

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 14, 2016, 12:38:42 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on May 10, 2016, 11:25:29 AM
They are metering the roundabout at keystone and smokey row (136th) due to congestion during rush hr.

I'm curious how they are doing the metering - with an upstream traffic signal, police directing traffic, or did they install ramp meter type indications?
with a signal

silverback1065

A google maps error now shows that SR 431 has been resurrected on keystone. And SR 37 is back on binford!

tdindy88

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: billtm on May 14, 2016, 10:11:55 AM

http://www.wndu.com/content/news/Ceremony-for-groundbreaking-of-US-33-realignment-project-379155001.html

So why in the world would they put US33/SR15 on Main St. instead of 3rd for the stretch between Pike and Madison St.? 3rd looks like a higher quality road to me. :confused:

My memory may be rusty, but this is how I think it went down: City of Goshen wanted to take control of Main between Pike and Madison.  They upgraded 3rd in the hopes of getting 33 and 15 re-routed over to 3rd.  For some reason they didn't get approval to move 33.  Maybe it was because this project was in the works or something to do with it being a US highway.  Now that the new segment of 33 is being built that will get it off Main, I imagine they'll move 15 over to 3rd. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

silverback1065

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 16, 2016, 12:08:05 PM
Quote from: billtm on May 14, 2016, 10:11:55 AM

My memory may be rusty, but this is how I think it went down: City of Goshen wanted to take control of Main between Pike and Madison.  They upgraded 3rd in the hopes of getting 33 and 15 re-routed over to 3rd.  For some reason they didn't get approval to move 33.  Maybe it was because this project was in the works or something to do with it being a US highway.  Now that the new segment of 33 is being built that will get it off Main, I imagine they'll move 15 over to 3rd.
Hopefully indot won't just leave a gap like they normally love to do.

dfwmapper

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 16, 2016, 10:36:55 AM
A google maps error now shows that SR 431 has been resurrected on keystone. And SR 37 is back on binford!
Some dumbshit keeps putting highways back on their old routings, citing out of date maps hosted by IU. Google's Indians showed their typical understanding of things and approved the changes instead of telling him to piss off, even when I and other mappers had left comments about just how wrong he is. We're trying to get his garbage undone and him banned.

US 41

This is an interesting concept that Vigo County and INDOT came up with 10 years ago that never happened. INDOT was going to build an interchange on US 41 at Harlan Drive south of Terre Haute. SR 63 was also going to be rerouted onto Harlan Drive. It's too bad that this never happened.

http://www.indianaeconomicdigest.net/main.asp?SectionID=31&SubSectionID=62&ArticleID=35771

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3308617,-87.4446348,13z
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

cjw2001

Quote from: dfwmapper on May 16, 2016, 10:10:50 PM
Some dumbshit keeps putting highways back on their old routings, citing out of date maps hosted by IU. Google's Indians showed their typical understanding of things and approved the changes instead of telling him to piss off, even when I and other mappers had left comments about just how wrong he is. We're trying to get his garbage undone and him banned.
It's been escalated to the appropriate places, however it may take some time to undo the damage.

US 41

Has INDOT ever considered decommissioning SR 134?

cjw2001

Quote from: cjw2001 on May 17, 2016, 11:28:17 AM
Quote from: dfwmapper on May 16, 2016, 10:10:50 PM
It's been escalated to the appropriate places, however it may take some time to undo the damage.
Quite a bit of the damage has been cleaned up, however there is more yet to do.   Unfortunately the effort to do the cleanup is quite a bit more complicated and time consuming than the effort it took by the spammer to break things in the first place.

jhuntin1

After this weekend's Friday night-Monday morning lane restrictions on I-465 in southwest Indy, the westbound lanes between US-31 and Sam Jones Expwy. have a new lane in the inside median and the outside lane is barrel-ed off. It still allows 3 lanes of traffic. The eastbound lanes weren't affected, just patches in the inside lane.

It had to be a pain for the asphalt-layer driver. The inside median on that section of I-465 has a lot of drainage plates along the base of the jersey barrier with thin diagonal line drains coming off them (imagine a letter "K" where the barrier is the | with the drain lines forming the diagonal; obviously I don't know the technical names for this  :D). The paver left them all exposed while paving the space in-between, which made for some interesting looking asphalt sections on my commute in the new inside lane this morning.

Does anyone know if this is the sign of something bigger to come, or is it simply to make paving the outside lane easier without having to close lanes again?

silverback1065

Quote from: jhuntin1 on May 23, 2016, 08:23:13 PM
After this weekend's Friday night-Monday morning lane restrictions on I-465 in southwest Indy, the westbound lanes between US-31 and Sam Jones Expwy. have a new lane in the inside median and the outside lane is barrel-ed off. It still allows 3 lanes of traffic. The eastbound lanes weren't affected, just patches in the inside lane.

It had to be a pain for the asphalt-layer driver. The inside median on that section of I-465 has a lot of drainage plates along the base of the jersey barrier with thin diagonal line drains coming off them (imagine a letter "K" where the barrier is the | with the drain lines forming the diagonal; obviously I don't know the technical names for this  :D). The paver left them all exposed while paving the space in-between, which made for some interesting looking asphalt sections on my commute in the new inside lane this morning.

Does anyone know if this is the sign of something bigger to come, or is it simply to make paving the outside lane easier without having to close lanes again?

The technical name is "slotted drain" you typically see these on interstates or in sags (low) spots to keep ponding from happening when you can't solve this with a couple of inlets.  My guess for your other question is either the shoulder just needed paving, or they will cross traffic onto the shoulder to do more major mainline paving. haven't heard anything about widening there though.  465 at us 421 appears to be in the early stages of something, I see a new cantilever sign is up, without a bgs on it.

jhuntin1

They repaved what was the inside lane as well, so those two lanes of asphalt look really nice. I imagine that they're going to repave the other two lanes then move things back to normal, but I've never seen INDOT do this before on a repave job.

EDIT: Thanks for the technical help, silverback1065!

dvferyance

Quote from: US 41 on May 17, 2016, 01:52:10 PM
Has INDOT ever considered decommissioning SR 134?
I think INDOT has decommissioned enough already if anything too much.

tdindy88

SR 134, as short as it is, connects to the Indiana Women's Prison which is a state institution and I think INDOT likes to keep state facilities connected to the state highway system as much as they can. I see to recall a few short three-number spurs to state parks and whatnot to go along with this theory of mine.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: tdindy88 on May 24, 2016, 09:23:55 PM
SR 134, as short as it is, connects to the Indiana Women's Prison which is a state institution and I think INDOT likes to keep state facilities connected to the state highway system as much as they can. I see to recall a few short three-number spurs to state parks and whatnot to go along with this theory of mine.

Yes, INDOT does maintain a lot of short roads running to state institutions and parks.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

US 41

INDOT is going to redesign the current US 41 / SR 163 intersection in Lyford from a "Y" into a "T". Construction is supposed to start next February.

http://wthitv.com/2016/05/25/driving-towards-a-safer-future-indot-plans-for-new-intersection-at-lyford-y/

Avalanchez71

Is there a resource for any of the former Business US 41 routes along US 41 in IN?

US 41

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 27, 2016, 01:13:08 PM
Is there a resource for any of the former Business US 41 routes along US 41 in IN?

I'm not sure what you mean. I know for a fact that Clinton St and Lafayette Ave (same road, different names) in Terre Haute used to be BR 41. There is still a sign just south of the Lafayette / Park Ave intersection that labels the route as 41.

There is also a BR 41 in Vincennes that still exists and it is signed very well. It starts at the US 41/150/50 cloverleaf and ends at SR 441.

Avalanchez71

I know that there was one in Princeton.  I seem to recall one in Kentland and I thought that there used to be others.  I thought there was one in Evansville at one time as well.  I seem to recall a few BR US 41 routes back in the 90s.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.