News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NC is requesting I-36 for US 70 East Corridor and I-89 for RDU to Norfolk corr

Started by CanesFan27, May 05, 2016, 01:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will AASHTO Approve or Reject the I-36 or 89 designations?

Approve Both
12 (18.5%)
Approve 36 and Reject 89
30 (46.2%)
Reject 36 and Approve 89
3 (4.6%)
Reject Both
20 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Voting closed: May 26, 2016, 02:17:33 PM

WashuOtaku

Quote from: JacobNC on May 26, 2016, 09:41:49 AM
The major problem I have with the proposed I-87 -- and I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone in this thread bring it up -- is that it's utterly redundant.  No one would ever use this route to travel between Raleigh and Norfolk.  It's almost 30 miles longer than taking I-95/US-58.

Well, all that can be said is North Carolina wanted another interstate and Virginia doesn't give two sh*ts about upgrading highways outside of Northern Virginia.

LM117

Quote from: WashuOtaku on May 26, 2016, 11:29:09 AM
The major problem I have with the proposed I-87 -- and I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone in this thread bring it up -- is that it's utterly redundant.  No one would ever use this route to travel between Raleigh and Norfolk.  It's almost 30 miles longer than taking I-95/US-58.

Well, all that can be said is North Carolina wanted another interstate and Virginia doesn't give two sh*ts about upgrading highways outside of Northern Virginia.

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

MazdaStrider

Quote from: LM117 on May 26, 2016, 11:40:29 AM

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Or they does, but politics in Northern Virginia doesn't want money going that way?

Henry

I like I-42 for the US 70 upgrade, but I-87 kind of threw me for a loop. I would've liked to have I-97 instead, so that the missing link could be filled in with freeway upgrades to US 13 and US 50. Then there could be a continuous nonstop alternative to I-95 between Baltimore and Raleigh.

Now that I think of it, Steve proposed I-87 to run up DE 1 and US 202 years ago. This would open the door for an extension down the US 13 corridor through the Tidewater area, and provide a nonstop alternative between NYC/Philly and the Triangle.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

JacobNC

Quote from: LM117 on May 26, 2016, 11:22:49 AM
Quote from: JacobNC on May 26, 2016, 09:41:49 AMThe major problem I have with the proposed I-87 -- and I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone in this thread bring it up -- is that it's utterly redundant.  No one would ever use this route to travel between Raleigh and Norfolk.  It's almost 30 miles longer than taking I-95/US-58.

True, but being able to avoid VA's infamous US-58 speed traps is an idea that I'm sure most people who have driven on US-58 (including myself) can get behind.  :spin:

That's true, but much of the road from Emporia to Suffolk has been upgraded and now has 60mph speed limits so it's not so slow.  Just don't drive above 65mph.  There is a 45mph and 35mph section in Suffolk that would need to be bypassed if upgraded to an Interstate though.

Yeah, If they ever did it they would probably toll it for 200 years to pay for it too.

froggie

Quote from: wdcrft63if you accept the notion that the US 64/17 corridor is north/south, then the grid says that I-87 is the best choice.

A big "if", as si noted.  But the reality is that it is less north-south (78 miles) than it is east-west (125 miles).

Quote from: JacobNCThe major problem I have with the proposed I-87 -- and I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone in this thread bring it up -- is that it's utterly redundant.  No one would ever use this route to travel between Raleigh and Norfolk.  It's almost 30 miles longer than taking I-95/US-58.

If they really wanted to improve travel between Raleigh and Norfolk, upgrading US-58 east of Emporia would be the way to go.  Actually, an interstate from I-85 near the VA/NC state line all the way to Norfolk would give travelers a faster route between Norfolk and Durham, and Norfolk and Charlotte as well.  (The proposed I-87 would not, check out a map.)  Some of it would have to be on new location, but some of it could be built from the existing US 58 highway.  The problem is, Virginia would have to pay for this.

But this is a complete waste of money.  The largest city along the route between Rocky Mount and VA is Elizabeth City, pop. 18,000.  No reason to make an interstate that goes so far out of the way between point A and point B just to connect several tiny eastern NC towns.

Very logical.  But logic flies completely in the face of eastern North Carolina business interests who want a shiny red/white/blue shield (paid for by someone else, of course) in order to support their business.

Quote from: LM117True, but being able to avoid VA's infamous US-58 speed traps is an idea that I'm sure most people who have driven on US-58 (including myself) can get behind.

In my own considerable experience, I'd say the Emporia speed trap is more bark than bite.  Does it exist?  Yes.  But people make it out to be a bigger deal than it really is.

Quote from: WashuOtakuWell, all that can be said is North Carolina wanted another interstate and Virginia doesn't give two sh*ts about upgrading highways outside of Northern Virginia.

First off, this is utter nonsense, not that you really care.  Second, it shows that VDOT is more interested in addressing real traffic issues than throwing freeways willy-nilly all over a rural area like your state does.  Let me know how that I-40 commute or the I-77 Charlotte commute are going, please...

wdcrft63

Quote from: froggie on May 26, 2016, 12:35:29 PM
Quote from: JacobNCThe major problem I have with the proposed I-87 -- and I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone in this thread bring it up -- is that it's utterly redundant.  No one would ever use this route to travel between Raleigh and Norfolk.  It's almost 30 miles longer than taking I-95/US-58.

If they really wanted to improve travel between Raleigh and Norfolk, upgrading US-58 east of Emporia would be the way to go.  Actually, an interstate from I-85 near the VA/NC state line all the way to Norfolk would give travelers a faster route between Norfolk and Durham, and Norfolk and Charlotte as well.  (The proposed I-87 would not, check out a map.)  Some of it would have to be on new location, but some of it could be built from the existing US 58 highway.  The problem is, Virginia would have to pay for this.

But this is a complete waste of money.  The largest city along the route between Rocky Mount and VA is Elizabeth City, pop. 18,000.  No reason to make an interstate that goes so far out of the way between point A and point B just to connect several tiny eastern NC towns.

Very logical.  But logic flies completely in the face of eastern North Carolina business interests who want a shiny red/white/blue shield (paid for by someone else, of course) in order to support their business.

Quote from: WashuOtakuWell, all that can be said is North Carolina wanted another interstate and Virginia doesn't give two sh*ts about upgrading highways outside of Northern Virginia.

First off, this is utter nonsense, not that you really care.  Second, it shows that VDOT is more interested in addressing real traffic issues than throwing freeways willy-nilly all over a rural area like your state does.  Let me know how that I-40 commute or the I-77 Charlotte commute are going, please...

There's a spirited discussion of VDOT's priorities going on today in the I-73 in VA thread of the Mid-Atlantic forum. Not everyone there agrees with you.

Fact is, every state has its own set of priorities and they always reflect a lot of the politics internal to that state. Frankly, I enjoy seeing how they work out in each state. In NC, the metropolitan areas are not as dominant as they are in Virginia or in many other states.

hbelkins

OK, I had to google "Towel Day" to find out what it is and what it has to do with the number 42. I'm usually blissfully ignorant of pop culture, but sometimes it puts me way behind the curve to know what people are talking about.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

QuoteThere's a spirited discussion of VDOT's priorities going on today in the I-73 in VA thread of the Mid-Atlantic forum. Not everyone there agrees with you.

They may not agree with me regarding I-73, but they were also rather incorrect in how money flows in Virginia.

Third Strike

Quote from: froggie on May 26, 2016, 12:35:29 PM

As a Charlottean, I wish we got a bone from the state from all these new Interstate main and auxiliary routes. I was hoping US 74 would have gotten a route from Asheville to Charlotte, and then to Wilmington, but that was squashed, though we might get an Interstate spur between I-26 and I-85. The state seems to have an obsession with wanting to create limited-access expressways in the Charlotte region, like the NC 16 corridor between here and Hickory, and the NC 24/27 corridor between Charlotte and Fayetteville. Even the NC 49/US 64 corridor between Charlotte and Asheboro is suppose to be an expressway, but US 64 between Asheboro to Cary is planned as a freeway.

The Ghostbuster

Well, so much for Interstate 36 and Interstate 89. Both were rejected. Personally, I still think both corridors should have gotten even-numbered Interstate designations. Here's another question for my fellow AARoads posters. Once 495 becomes 87, where would you move the 495 designation to, if anywhere?

LM117

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 28, 2016, 02:36:39 PMHere's another question for my fellow AARoads posters. Once 495 becomes 87, where would you move the 495 designation to, if anywhere?

Personally, I'd just get rid of it. Greenville has been pretty vocal about wanting US-264 from US-64 (future I-87) in Zebulon to Stantonsburg Road in Greenville upgraded to Interstate standards. I-287 would be a good number for it, if and when the upgrade happens. I-795 would remain concurrent with US-264 and hypothetical I-287 to the I-95 junction, similar to I-785 and I-840 in Greensboro. That's about all I can say without diving headfirst into fictional territory.

CanesFan27

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 28, 2016, 02:36:39 PM
Well, so much for Interstate 36 and Interstate 89. Both were rejected. Personally, I still think both corridors should have gotten even-numbered Interstate designations. Here's another question for my fellow AARoads posters. Once 495 becomes 87, where would you move the 495 designation to, if anywhere?

Old Faison Road in Knightdale.

Thing 342

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 28, 2016, 02:36:39 PM
As for new spur routes, I think that if they ever completed the US-17 bypass of New Bern (unlikely, the only reason to do so would be to cut off some extra mileage) , it would make a good I-142, but that's way, way out in fictional territory.

roadman65

So its official, being that the ribbon cutting ceremony for the Goldsboro Bypass has I-42 as the future interstate for US 70.  That means I-36 is dead then?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

LM117

Quote from: roadman65 on May 29, 2016, 11:37:47 AM
So its official, being that the ribbon cutting ceremony for the Goldsboro Bypass has I-42 as the future interstate for US 70.  That means I-36 is dead then?

Yep. I-36 got trashed (and rightfully so) for obvious reasons and was replaced with I-42 by AASHTO. FHWA still has to sign off on Future I-42, but it's just as good as approved. FHWA can't deny US-70 from becoming a future Interstate corridor since it was signed into law and I don't see any reason why they would deny the I-42 number since it fits the grid and isn't in the same state as US-42. I'm not worried about FHWA's decision. From the way I see it, all FHWA can do within reason is rubber-stamp it.

LM117

Random thought, but assuming VDOT surprises me and actually builds and signs their part of I-87, what are the chances of I-87 taking over I-464 and ending at I-264 in Norfolk instead of I-64 in Chesapeake? I'd like to see it happen. Thoughts?  :hmmm:

roadman65

That would be a good idea.  464 or 87, does not make a difference really.  Hey they eliminated VA 44 for an extension of I-264 to the beach, why not do the same here?

Sheryl Crowe

WashuOtaku

Quote from: LM117 on May 29, 2016, 08:35:47 PM
Random thought, but assuming VDOT surprises me and actually builds and signs their part of I-87, what are the chances of I-87 taking over I-464 and ending at I-264 in Norfolk instead of I-64 in Chesapeake? I'd like to see it happen. Thoughts?  :hmmm:

Cannot see why not, but that is probably years away.

roadman65

I think why AASHTO thought of I-87 in hopes that the Delmarva might upgrade US 13 completely to interstate standards someday like in 2100.  However, if that ever did happen even in our lifetime, it would give the 1 to 6 on the NJ Turnpike an interstate designation as after I-95 in Delaware, it could duplex to the Delaware Memorial Bridge and up the NJT to duplex again in Central and North Jersey and connect to the other I-87 in the Bronx!

Sheryl Crowe

LM117

Quote from: WashuOtaku on May 29, 2016, 08:40:52 PM
Quote from: LM117 on May 29, 2016, 08:35:47 PM

Cannot see why not, but that is probably years away.

On one hand, true, but on the other hand, VDOT could ask AASHTO to decommission I-464 and go ahead and sign it as I-87, like what NCDOT plans to do with I-495 and part of I-440. At least both ends in Raleigh and Norfolk would have a start. Of course, it's just wishful thinking on my part since VDOT never bothered to send a request to AASHTO to sign US-17 as Future I-87 from the NC state line to I-64 in Chesapeake.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: LM117 on May 29, 2016, 09:00:32 PM
On one hand, true, but on the other hand, VDOT could ask AASHTO to decommission I-464 and go ahead and sign it as I-87, like what NCDOT plans to do with I-495 and part of I-440. At least both ends in Raleigh and Norfolk would have a start. Of course, it's just wishful thinking on my part since VDOT never bothered to send a request to AASHTO to sign US-17 as Future I-87 from the NC state line to I-64 in Chesapeake.

I don't see Virginia being proactive.  I expect them to wait till its built right to the border then muddle for several more years before reluctantly building their small section of it.

Thing 342

When the Dominion Blvd Project is complete in 2017, the entirety of the proposed route of I-87 in VA will have been completely rebuilt in the last 15 years. I don't see VDOT spending more money to upgrade a road that serves its purpose quite adequately. Keep in mind that the Grassfield and Scenic Pkwy intersections along the new Dominion Blvd are only being built at-grade. (and would be difficult to convert into interchanges due to abutting businesses)

LM117

Quote from: WashuOtaku on May 30, 2016, 09:26:40 AM
Quote from: LM117 on May 29, 2016, 09:00:32 PM

I don't see Virginia being proactive.  I expect them to wait till its built right to the border then muddle for several more years before reluctantly building their small section of it.

-sigh- I agree. Like I said, it's just wishful thinking on my part. :pan: The leaders in Hampton Roads definitely support I-87 but the interstate has no love in Richmond. Hell, only 4 out of 11 VA congressmen supported the ROAD amendment of the FAST Act while all of NC's supported it. I guarantee Hampton Roads wouldn't have had a future interstate corridor signed into law if it wasn't for NC. In the unlikely case VA ever does build their part, Hampton Roads can thank NC for it.

LM117

Quote from: Thing 342 on May 30, 2016, 09:52:28 AMKeep in mind that the Grassfield and Scenic Pkwy intersections along the new Dominion Blvd are only being built at-grade. (and would be difficult to convert into interchanges due to abutting businesses)

Too bad the interstate idea wasn't thought of before the Dominion Boulevard project got underway.  Bad timing.  :banghead:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.