News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Why did I-90 and I-94 swap?

Started by I-39, May 20, 2016, 03:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-39

Forgive me if this has already been answered, but why exactly did they swap I-90 and I-94 between the Kingery/Borman and the Skyway? I never understood that.

The Ghostbuster

Maybe so the Indiana Toll Road would only have 2 numbers instead of 3. Interstate 80 is the only Interstate that has to change roads to be continuous. That may have had something to do with it.

peterj920

It makes more sense for I-90 to be routed along the Skyway and the Indiana Toll Road from end to end.  Why have the numbers change if traffic is going to use the Skyway to get to the Indiana Toll Road? 

dzlsabe

Probably the same group of geniuses that figured at the south end of the D Ryan that THREE lanes should go to/from Memphis I-57, but TWO will suffice to/from Indiana I-94.

Does it matter what its called? Pretty much every zip code within a mile or two of I-90 Skyway or IN Toll Road...those roads are not improving the area. Even killing the area?

Including (but not limited to) 46312 (E Chicago), 394 (Whiting), 320 & 327 (Hammond), 401-11 (Gary) and Chicagos  60617, 19, 49, 37, 21...Maybe its time for an I-90 "enterprise zone". Residents & businesses get a break on tolls? :confused: :wow:
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

SEWIGuy

Quote from: peterj920 on May 20, 2016, 05:32:44 PM
It makes more sense for I-90 to be routed along the Skyway and the Indiana Toll Road from end to end.  Why have the numbers change if traffic is going to use the Skyway to get to the Indiana Toll Road? 

Does traffic "use the Skyway to get to the Indiana Toll Road?"  I can understand the idea of having I-90 being the "tolled" route, and I-94 being the "free" route.   

captkirk_4

Maybe so 94 connects with 294 at both ends.

captkirk_4

Quote from: dzlsabe on May 20, 2016, 06:00:15 PM
Probably the same group of geniuses that figured at the south end of the D Ryan that THREE lanes should go to/from Memphis I-57, but TWO will suffice to/from Indiana I-94.

I can't imagine any long distance traffic who has any Knowledge of traversing Chicagoland using the Calumet Expressway section of I-94. Milwaukee bound traffic would do better to use 294, and any thing else should take 80 across to 39. One of the main priorities in any future Interstate expansion needs to be an I-480 from Morris running through Peotone connecting back to I-80/90/94 somewhere in Indiana past Chicagoland so trans continental traffic can bypass Chicagoland entirely. Might even have US 24 upgrade to four lanes from Logansport IN to Peoria for a bypass starting at Toledo and ending at the Quad cities.

mukade

Quote from: captkirk_4 on May 21, 2016, 02:43:38 PM
Maybe so 94 connects with 294 at both ends.

Except for the fact the Borman Expressway (known as the Tri-State then) was also I-294. So I-294 was always going to connect to I-94 at both ends.

Lyon Wonder

Quote from: captkirk_4 on May 21, 2016, 02:54:07 PM

I can't imagine any long distance traffic who has any Knowledge of traversing Chicagoland using the Calumet Expressway section of I-94. Milwaukee bound traffic would do better to use 294, and any thing else should take 80 across to 39. One of the main priorities in any future Interstate expansion needs to be an I-480 from Morris running through Peotone connecting back to I-80/90/94 somewhere in Indiana past Chicagoland so trans continental traffic can bypass Chicagoland entirely. Might even have US 24 upgrade to four lanes from Logansport IN to Peoria for a bypass starting at Toledo and ending at the Quad cities.

The IA-163 and US 34 corridor between Des Moines and Galesburg can be added to this too.

andy3175

I'm guessing this happened because I-57 is the Dan Ryan Extension or Dan Ryan West Leg, so maybe through traffic from Dan Ryan Expy to Dan Ryan West leg was given priority over I-94 (Bishop Ford Fwy/Calumet Expy)? Just a guess.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Revive 755

I can't imagine any long distance traffic who has any Knowledge of traversing Chicagoland using the Calumet Expressway section of I-94. Milwaukee bound traffic would do better to use 294, and any thing else should take 80 across to 39.

Depends on traffic and whether the ~40 extra minutes I-80 to I-39 would add would be worth the $1.65 to $6.05 in tolls saved (accounting for the different routing options and the 60 cent toll one has on I-80 anyway).

As to the original question, probably because it's easier to sign the connection between the Borman and the Toll Road with only I-80 switching routes and I-90 and I-94 being straight ahead movements than trying to sign it if all the routes had to turn off to stay on.  It certainly works much better than the TOTSO with I-74 and I-80 near Quad Cities.

dzlsabe

Quote from: andy3175 on May 22, 2016, 12:14:09 AM

I'm guessing this happened because I-57 is the Dan Ryan Extension or Dan Ryan West Leg, so maybe through traffic from Dan Ryan Expy to Dan Ryan West leg was given priority over I-94 (Bishop Ford Fwy/Calumet Expy)? Just a guess.

Whats funny is they recently rebuilt and widened the bridge at 103rd and had to add an extra lane for the detour. Perfect opportunity to upgrade a stretch? Couple million extra for sure. Nope, back to the two-lane SOS.
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

Duke87

I-90 and I-94 physically cross at Lake Station. The designations, quite logically, follow the through route of the highway they are already on. To have them not cross would require forcing both to exit themselves, which is just unwieldy.

That, or break I-94 into two separate interstates. Which, given the tortuous route it takes through the Chicago area, might not have been a bad idea - the route through Michigan is not at all logically continuous with the route further west. But that wasn't what was done.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

dzlsabe

Does it matter what its called? Pretty much every zip code within a mile or two of I-90 Skyway or IN Toll Road...those roads are not improving the area. Even killing the area?

Including (but not limited to) zips 46312 (E Chicago), 394 (Whiting), 320 & 327 (Hammond), 401-11 (Gary) and Chicagos  60617, 19, 49, 37, 21...Maybe its time for an I-90 "enterprise zone". Residents & businesses get a break on tolls?  :clap:

They tried that I-480 thing, capt. It was called Illiana. Wasted $Ms and decades. Could not find the sane stakeholders to finance.

They tried the  I-494 thing. Several times. It was called Crosstown. I believe the south part is worthy of yet another study.

They havent tried I-490 yet, although there is a "rail" version being considered. www.greatlakesbasin.net

They havent tried just separating I-90 from 94. Instructions available. Major assembly required. http://imgur.com/E6RD2Co 
                                                                                                                                                         :cheers:

Answers price list:
Answers............................................. $1.00
Answers (requiring thought)................... $2.00
Answers (correct)................................ $3.00
Dumb looks .................................STILL FREE!

froggie

Quote from: dzlsabeThey havent tried just separating I-90 from 94. Instructions available. Major assembly required. http://imgur.com/E6RD2Co 

pianocello

Quote from: Duke87 on May 22, 2016, 01:22:04 AM
That, or break I-94 into two separate interstates. Which, given the tortuous route it takes through the Chicago area, might not have been a bad idea - the route through Michigan is not at all logically continuous with the route further west. But that wasn't what was done.

Interesting fictional idea: Extend I-41 down the Tri-State to I-80, make the Dan Ryan an extension of I-57 up to the Skyway, make the Bishop Ford an x57, and the Edens an x41.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

SEWIGuy

Quote from: pianocello on May 24, 2016, 05:39:44 PM

Interesting fictional idea: Extend I-41 down the Tri-State to I-80, make the Dan Ryan an extension of I-57 up to the Skyway, make the Bishop Ford an x57, and the Edens an x41.

What are you going to do with US-41?

dzlsabe

I-90 and I-94 physically cross at Lake Station. The designations, quite logically, follow the through route of the highway they are already on. To have them not cross would require forcing both to exit themselves, which is just unwieldy.

That, or break I-94 into two separate interstates. Which, given the tortuous route it takes through the Chicago area, might not have been a bad idea.

And they merge at 63rd Street.

"Two separate interstates"? No doubt, no more 90/94. I believe thats what this is.... http://imgur.com/E6RD2Co

"Unwieldy"? Many Chicago drivers and interstaters probably say something more like "Holy MFing SHAT!"

http://www.cmap.illinois.gov/documents/10180/359519/2015-08-26-Chicago-traffic-among-worst-Chicago-Tribune.pdf/5338ec11-819c-4dda-a25e-a24593238775

Theres NO point in rearranging road signs yet again. Serious concrete and steel needs to be laid between the south side and north.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

The Ghostbuster

Maybe NE2 is right, maybe we should stop discussing this thread.

pianocello

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 24, 2016, 07:45:18 PM

What are you going to do with US-41?

Whoops, forgot about that. I suppose it would be too confusing to keep the existing US route in this scenario, so I'd probably reroute US-41 south along the Tri-State and east to the current junction in Hammond, and make the existing route between Hammond and Gurnee an ALT or BUS US-41.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

SEWIGuy

It's probably just easier to keep everything where it is.

Or just route I-94 along the Tri-State with I-57 north through downtown and along the Edens and the Edens Spur.

Joe The Dragon

Edens I-94 and I-41 over the old toll us 41 route?

N9JIG

Not that it would ever happen but...

If I-41 were to be extended to cover the Tri-State then the existing US-41 (Skokie Highway) could become IL-50 north of the current US-41/IL-50 intersection in Skokie.
Then decommission US-41 in Illinois, WI and MI. Just pull it from the multiplexes from the IL line to Green Bay.
Replace the current US-41 from Green Bay to Abrams with US-141.
From there to US-2 in MI replace US-41 with a state number (WI/MI 41?) and from Rapid River to where US-41 and 141 come back together near Alberta can get a state number.
North of Alberta it could be replaced with US-141 to the end at Copper Harbor.

Like SEWIGuy says though: it will probably be easier to keep it as it is.

In Indiana just replace US-41 north of St. John with US-231.

Illinois Highways Page                                                          http://www.n9jig.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.