News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

State highwys that end at a state line with no counterpart in the ajacent state

Started by dvferyance, May 24, 2016, 11:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The High Plains Traveler

Two I can think of involving Colorado: KS-51 ends at the Colorado border, where it becomes a county road (many years ago it would have been CO-51). CO-318 ends at the Utah border.

LATE EDITI should have thought about this one since I've driven it: CO-116 crosses into Kansas where it is a county road - and a pretty good one - to Johnson City. This is the original route of U.S. 160, until it was rerouted to the south.

Also, there is a WY-10 that enters Colorado at what looks like NFS roads.

For New Mexico, NM-402 ends at the Oklahoma border and bends north into a county road that straddles the Oklahoma state line before bending east completely into Oklahoma.

For Minnesota, off the top of my head, MN-117 ends at the SD state line. SD-158 ends at the MN state line.

Here's one I'm not sure of: ND-13 used to connect with MN-210 at Wahpeton ND-Breckenridge MN. But, a bypass was built around the north side of these two towns and called ND-210/MN-210. ND-13 enters Wahpeton from the west but then intersects southbound ND-127, and I can't tell if it's still state highway from there east to the state line. Google Maps doesn't show route markers on it, and it's logical that ND might have relinquished that to the city. It's CSAH 12 on the Minnesota side.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

froggie

Quote from: The High Plains TravelerHere's one I'm not sure of: ND-13 used to connect with MN-210 at Wahpeton ND-Breckenridge MN. But, a bypass was built around the north side of these two towns and called ND-210/MN-210. ND-13 enters Wahpeton from the west but then intersects southbound ND-127, and I can't tell if it's still state highway from there east to the state line.

According to NDDOT GIS data, it's still ND 13 to the river, so I included it upthread.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 25, 2016, 10:45:16 PM
* IN 312 at the Illinois border, though I believe the road on the Illinois side is actually under IDOT's jurisdiction

IN 312 ends before the state line
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

US71

AR 265 north of Pea Ridge ends at the MO State Line, then you follow a county road to connect to Missouri KK (KK may have been extended...I haven't looked in a while).

To the best of my knowledge, Arkansas has no highways that end  with no counterpart, but Missouri has numerous Secondary Routes that end at Arkansas.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

dvferyance

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 25, 2016, 03:52:39 AM
Minnesota-Iowa:

MN 22 becomes a county road
MN 91 becomes a county road (Iowa decommissioned the matching IA 91)
MN 105 becomes a county road
IA 91 was like what 2 miles long? Was that decommissioning really necessary? Same goes for M-205. I don't get why these DOT's are so picky about maintaining a precise amount of highways and even the slightest add ons area big no no.

Rover_0

Quote from: Rover_0 on May 25, 2016, 11:29:32 AM
UT-42, UT-23, and UT-200 all end at the Utah/Idaho border, with the road on the Idaho side continuing as a county road.

To add onto this, I don't think there's a single state route continuing between Utah and Idaho (unless you count US 91 and US 89).

Apologies for quoting myself.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

hbelkins

The Bluefield end of VA 102 continues as a city street in Bluefield, WV.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

Quote from: Rover_0 on May 26, 2016, 11:44:13 AM
UT-42, UT-23, and UT-200 all end at the Utah/Idaho border, with the road on the Idaho side continuing as a county road.

To add onto this, I don't think there's a single state route continuing between Utah and Idaho (unless you count US 91 and US 89).

Does ID 81 no longer exist?

Mapmikey

Quote from: froggie on May 26, 2016, 02:07:16 PM

Apparently it now ends at ID 77 - https://goo.gl/maps/tH4wkZK6XQ82.

But the route towards UT 42 it is posted as ID 30-S at the 77-81 junction: https://goo.gl/maps/riA6GxJSLJJ2

freebrickproductions

TN 121 becomes a county route at the Alabama State Line. Along with TN 274.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Kacie Jane

Quote from: Mapmikey on May 26, 2016, 02:20:53 PM

But the route towards UT 42 it is posted as ID 30-S at the 77-81 junction: https://goo.gl/maps/riA6GxJSLJJ2

That's not an ID 30-S shield -- couldn't even be an ancient one, since Idaho has used a state outline similar to its current shield since the beginning of time.  It might be a Cassia County route shield, but I can't find much info on county highways there, and the rest of Idaho usually uses modern pentagons when they do mark them.  (But maybe it's an ancient one of those.)

renegade

SR-64 ends at Loar Hwy at the Michigan state line in Metamora, Ohio.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

tckma

PA/MD seems to have a lot of them:

PA/MD - PA 134 becomes a county road (which, in Maryland, are not signposted) -- Harney Road.
PA/MD - PA 16 becomes MD 140.  I don't know why the numbers change, particularly when MD 140 used to be US-140, although in that area US-140 swapped routing with MD-97, so the consistency would have made it PA 97... PA 97 is actually consistent and becomes MD 97 -- that was the former route of US-140.
PA/MD - PA 94 becomes MD 30.  Not sure why the inconsistency here, either... there is an MD 94 in Howard County, though.
PA/MD - PA 516 becomes MD 86.

MD/PA - MD 45 becomes... Main Street.

MA/NY - MA 102 becomes (presumably unsigned) NY Reference Route 902D.

NH/MA - NH 128 becomes Mammoth Road.  (Obviously MA 128 was already taken.)

CT/NY - CT 104 becomes Long Ridge Road

That's all I remember off hand.

tckma

Having grown up on Long Island, I have often wondered if NY-135 was supposed to connect to CT-135 via the never-built bridge that was once planned across the Long Island Sound.  Fairfield County seems to be home to a lot of CT state routes in the 130-series, so I wonder if NY-135 was numbered as such to accomodate, as north-south state routes on Long Island tend to be in the NY-10x and NY-11x series.  NY-135 seems out of place.  Although there are also a bunch of NY-13x routes in Westchester County, which could also have made sense had an alternate Bayville-to-Rye routing of the same bridge been constructed.

Beeper1

RI-100 continues as local Wallum Lake Road over the MA state line.

kphoger

Quote from: Darkchylde on May 25, 2016, 08:19:16 AM
In/near Kansas City, MO 150 transitions into a local road on the Kansas side. MO 18 also does the same a bit south of the Kansas City metro. MO 76 does similar into Oklahoma.

At the Arkansas/Missouri line, there are numerous instances of numbered Arkansas routes crossing over and becoming lettered routes, but since those are still state-maintained, they probably wouldn't count here.

Which makes me wonder... Just how many Missouri lettered SSRs end at a state line with no continuing state route on the other side?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

corco

Quote from: Kacie Jane on May 26, 2016, 04:54:55 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on May 26, 2016, 02:20:53 PM

That's not an ID 30-S shield -- couldn't even be an ancient one, since Idaho has used a state outline similar to its current shield since the beginning of time.  It might be a Cassia County route shield, but I can't find much info on county highways there, and the rest of Idaho usually uses modern pentagons when they do mark them.  (But maybe it's an ancient one of those.)

It's the Raft River Highway District, along an old alignment of US 30S. In places, Idaho has highway districts that are independent of counties and cities. This is one of those.

Revive 755

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 26, 2016, 08:21:52 AM
* IN 312 at the Illinois border, though I believe the road on the Illinois side is actually under IDOT's jurisdiction

Is there a very short gap before the state line, or did INDOT truncate IN 312 since Google last took photos in the area?  Streetview of End West IN 312 assembly

paulthemapguy

Quote from: dvferyance on May 26, 2016, 11:02:01 AM
Minnesota-Iowa:

IA 91 was like what 2 miles long? Was that decommissioning really necessary? Same goes for M-205. I don't get why these DOT's are so picky about maintaining a precise amount of highways and even the slightest add ons area big no no.
I echo that sentiment.  State DOT's should keep those little stubs, no matter how small they are--the M-217's and Illinois 35's of the world.  Continuity in a route network is important.

On leap day, I took OH-613 to its western endpoint at the Indiana State line, where it doesn't connect with any Indiana state road.  OH-500 and OH-114 to the south do the same thing, as does OH-111 to the north.

Was going to add IN-114 to the list of highways that crap out at a state line, but then I saw that IN-114 has been truncated west to US41.  Was that a recent thing, or have I just been reading maps incorrectly?
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

Eth

GA 66 ceases to be a state highway at the North Carolina line. It looks like its NC counterpart may have been there (via old US 64) until about the mid-1960s.
GA 184 becomes a secondary road in South Carolina. GDOT maps show it connecting to (presumably) a state route up through 1950, but with no number shown.
The eastern segment of GA 94 becomes FL 2 at its west end, but County Road 2 to the east (was FL 2 until about 1991).
GA 109 becomes CR 278 upon entering Alabama.
GA 337 becomes CR 99 in Alabama.

There don't appear to be any going the other direction; all other states' numbered routes reaching Georgia remain state highways here.

ftballfan

vdeane

Quote from: tckma on May 26, 2016, 06:27:26 PM
Having grown up on Long Island, I have often wondered if NY-135 was supposed to connect to CT-135 via the never-built bridge that was once planned across the Long Island Sound.  Fairfield County seems to be home to a lot of CT state routes in the 130-series, so I wonder if NY-135 was numbered as such to accomodate, as north-south state routes on Long Island tend to be in the NY-10x and NY-11x series.  NY-135 seems out of place.  Although there are also a bunch of NY-13x routes in Westchester County, which could also have made sense had an alternate Bayville-to-Rye routing of the same bridge been constructed.
CT 135 is quite a ways east of NY 135; a bridge to connect to it would more likely involve a spur of the Sunken Meadow State Parkway.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 26, 2016, 09:00:53 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on May 26, 2016, 08:21:52 AM

Is there a very short gap before the state line, or did INDOT truncate IN 312 since Google last took photos in the area?  Streetview of End West IN 312 assembly

I thought it had been truncated to Calumet Ave, but perhaps not.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

DandyDan

Quote from: paulthemapguy on May 26, 2016, 09:29:07 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on May 26, 2016, 11:02:01 AM
Minnesota-Iowa:

I echo that sentiment.  State DOT's should keep those little stubs, no matter how small they are--the M-217's and Illinois 35's of the world.  Continuity in a route network is important.
I second that.  I even second that for that particular highway, which is actually 4.5 miles long (or so).  IA 91 was the road I used to turn at to go to my aunt's farm when I'm driving up north to SW Minnesota from Omaha, but after 2003, I got to remember some particular county road and it's just easier to remember a state highway shield than some county road.  At least they have signage pointing the way to Ellsworth, MN (the town right over the border there).  In the complete opposite corner of Iowa, the old southern IA 15, which connects to MO 15, was decommissioned at the same time, but IA 81, which goes to MO 81, remains yet today.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Bickendan

Quote from: Kacie Jane on May 25, 2016, 03:38:45 AM
Washington has SR 433, a short route leading from SR 432 in Longview to the Lewis and Clark Bridge.  SR 433 ends at the state line; ODOT maintains the Oregon approaches but it's not one of their numbered highways.

That's actually not quite correct, and neither is the Wikipedia article. WSDOT maintains the entire bridge (save the Oregon approaches, as noted), and up to a few years ago, there was a WA 433 shield on the Oregon side at the beginning of the bridge. It's a rare instance of a state highway being inside another state -- NY 17 dipping into Pennsylvania's probably the best known example, while MN 23 clips a corner of Wisconsin, BC 97 and YT 1 hop across the BC/YT border a bit, and NT 5 dips into Alberta twice. And, another Washington highway technically enters Oregon: WA 409, as a ferry crossing across the Columbia to Westport, Oregon because Washington's ferries are part of the state highway system. And despite OSM putting the WA 409 designation on Westport Ferry Rd, that's not maintained by ODOT or WSDOT, so WA 409 qualifies for this thread.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.