Interstate 73/74

Started by Voyager, January 18, 2009, 08:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanesFan27

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 01, 2011, 02:38:11 PM
Is it just me, or does that U-turn on I-74 in eastern NC look kind of screwed up?  Seems it should go south from Whiteville into SC, or east into Wilmington, not go halfway to Wilmington and change its mind.

Well considering congress legislated I-74 to go to South Carolina.  Although, that hasn't stopped some for arguing I-74 to go to Wilmington.

As for the I-20 proposal, that came directly from former Governor Mike Easley.  When first proposed, South Carolina had no comment - which pretty much meant they aren't interested.

http://web.duke.edu/~rmalme/prog74.html

http://web.duke.edu/~rmalme/i74seg18.html#i20nc

Revive 755

I'm still not seeing why a corridor generally along NC 130 or NC 905 wasn't considered.

CanesFan27

Because they knew folks from outside the area and suggested it - and decided against it.  Honestly, I don't know and really at this point does it matter on the corridor.  It's not even going to see daylight until well after 2020, and so many things can change between now and then that they could move I-74 to Wilmington (they've already moved it to Myrle Beach from Charleston), they could renumber it, they could ditch the whole thing, who knows what.

Grzrd

Quote from: CanesFan27 on April 27, 2011, 01:48:47 PM
Not so fast ... there are a few more steps to clear before dirt will fly."

Here is a new BIG step to clear; EPA is asking Army Corps of Engineers to deny wetlands permit for South Carolina I-73 construction:

http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/04/30/2130223/frozen-in-midstride.html

... In a March 28 letter, the EPA asked the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to deny a wetlands permit, saying an upgrade to existing roads might be preferable.
The federal agency said the state had relied on outdated data to justify the highway and newer information shows that modifying current roads could cause less harm to the environment. If road proponents can't mollify the EPA, the agency could see that the permit is never approved. The corps has federal jurisdiction to issue wetland permits, but the EPA can take control of a permit and deny it if the agency thinks the environmental impacts are too substantial.
Transportation officials have so far been silent on the EPA's missive, but the hurdle this creates could be significant for the Grand Strand's proposed connection to the interstate highway system ...

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on May 02, 2011, 08:34:04 PM
In a March 28 letter, the EPA asked the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to deny a wetlands permit, saying an upgrade to existing roads might be preferable.

EPA sent another letter on April 28, which speaks in even more forceful terms about why a wetlands permit should be denied for I-73, and also suggests an upgrade of S.C. 38/US 501 as a preferred alternative:

http://www.thestate.com/2011/05/04/1804415/epa-fights-beach-freeway.html

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's top regional official recommends denying a wetlands permit for a new freeway to Myrtle Beach, saying Interstate 73 "will have substantial and unacceptable impacts'' on important natural areas of eastern South Carolina, according to a letter released Tuesday.
Regional administrator Gwendolyn Keyes Fleming's involvement escalates a growing dispute between government regulators and boosters of Interstate 73, a long-anticipated road that would cut through about 80 miles of the state's rural Pee Dee region between McColl and Conway .... the Keyes Fleming letter, dated April 28, is a significant warning that could force changes in the road's design – and ultimately denial of a wetlands permit if those plans aren't altered. To build the road, the state Department of Transportation wants to fill 272 acres of wetlands, an unusually large amount in South Carolina.
The Keyes Fleming letter, written to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, is the second by the agency in a month urging denial of a wetlands permit for I-73. A letter last month said the DOT had used flawed data in studying the best route for the road, estimated to cost $2.4 billion in South Carolina. The most recent letter has greater weight than the previous letter, written March 28, because it was signed by Keyes Fleming, instead of a lower level staff member ...
Officials with the S.C. Department of Transportation, which applied for a wetlands permit from the Corps of Engineers, declined to talk about the matter this week. Corps officials had no timetable on a decision for the wetlands permit ...
In the April 28 letter, Keyes Fleming suggested that one of the existing routes to the beach could be upgraded more cheaply and with less damage to the environment than constructing the proposed new road. The letter urges more study of alternate routes.
"EPA recommends the consideration of (the) existing S.C. 38/U.S. 501 route, along with phased upgrades, as the preferred alternative for the I-73 corridor, as it is an existing four-lane highway with upgrade potential,"  she wrote. "This recommendation is proposed as a lower impact alternative."

EDIT

It's an overreach by unelected bureaucrats,'' ... "We're going to fight that.'
So says South Carolina US Senator Lindsey Graham.
http://www.thestate.com/2011/05/05/1805877/graham-blasts-epa-for-opposing.html

The article suggests that the EPA may be receiving some guidance from the Southern Environmental Law Center.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on April 27, 2011, 02:20:48 PM
The I-73 project is one of several that SCDOT has approved in anticipation of the joint bond issue, and SCDOT is soliciting comments on these projects until May 26

In terms of the people who bothered to submit comments during the Comment Period, overwhelming support exists for the I-95/I-73 interchange project:

http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/06/10/2213214/comments-show-support-for-interstate.html

Debate over Interstate 73 could heat up in Columbia next week ... The S.C. Department of Transportation commissioners will get an update Thursday on its proposed $344 million bond package, which includes part of I-73 at Interstate 95 and four other projects ... The list of projects racked up 1,098 comments during the 30-day comment period, with 894 supporting the bond proposal and 204 opposing it, according to an e-mail sent to the commissioners ... Of those supporting the bond package, 873 specifically were in support of I-73 while 21 gave general support of the bond package, according to the e-mail. Of the comments opposed to the bond package, 162 specifically opposed I-73, while 42 opposed the bond package ... "The people overwhelmingly support it,"  said Danny Isaac of Myrtle Beach, chairman of the DOT commissioners ... Isaac said he expects a tame meeting Thursday, saying six of the seven commissioners support I-73 and the piece of the project in the bond package, which would build an I-73 interchange at I-95 and five miles of the road to Latta ... Even if it has the support, the I-73 project still has a ways to go before construction can start in South Carolina. The comment period was required before projects can be added to the Statewide Transportation Improvement Plan, and funding must be identified before they can be added, DOT spokesman Pete Poore said ... "Before the bonds can be considered for approval, SCDOT would need to fine tune project costs, bond draw-down schedules, timing of the bond issues, etc.,"  he said. "Once this is all nailed down, then approvals need to come from the Joint Bond Review Committee, State Treasurer and the Budget and Control Board."  ...  DOT aims to go to the Joint Bond Review Committee between November and January, Poore said. Isaac aims to have the permit from the U.S. Corps of Engineers by February. I-73 would pass through four counties in South Carolina -- Horry, Marion, Marlboro and Dillon -- and is estimated to cost about $2 billion ... "It still has to go through many steps,"  Poore said. "It's always a long process.

Jerseyman4

Only my 2nd post... forgive me if this particular discussion has been talked about already:

I think the biggest problem with I-73 and I-74 in North Carolina is the area between Asheboro and Randleman. The state has no long-term plans to widen it to 6 lanes and make improvements to the 4 lane freeway with consolidating exits along the Asheboro bypass. Heres why: Asheboro has a lot of commuters going to Greensboro which seems to double the AADT counts after the US 64 exit. Secondly, there are too many exits between US 64 and the Vision Drive Exit with left/right lane exit ramps. Third, what is going to happen with I-74 being completed from Mount Airy/VA State line to Randleman where all of the out of state traffic (OH, WV, MI) bombard the multiplex section between Randleman and Asheboro? It will be interesting how much traffic would potentially increase when US 311/I-74 connects US 220/I-73 in Randleman from the Center Square Road exit in the coming months around 2012. US 220/I-73 north of Randleman should see fewer through traffic from out of state vacationers.

Grzrd

Project involving what will arguably be first I-73 dirt turned in South Carolina has been approved by SCDOT, should begin in a couple of months, and should be completed in 2013:
http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/09/15/2391106/i-73-project-gets-boost.html

The first construction work associated with controversial Interstate 73 won approval from state road commissioners Thursday in a decision heavily criticized by opponents of the $2 billion freeway into Myrtle Beach ... In the next three months, construction crews are expected to begin rebuilding a bridge that would later make it easier to construct the superhighway through eastern South Carolina, according to the S.C. Department of Transportation. The work would be done sometime in 2013 ...Critics said the state Transportation Commission's 5-1 vote for the relatively small bridge project — costing $11.5 million — is an attempt to jump start the interstate project, which is drawing increasing scrutiny over its cost and environmental impact on eastern South Carolina ...  Commissioner Sarah Nuckles, who voted against the bridge work, said the commission's vote is a bigger deal than many people might realize ... "This is the first dirt moved"  for I-73, Nuckles said. "This is very significant."  ... Thursday's decision awards the work to a company to begin the bridge project near Latta in Dillon County. The work will make it easier to build an interchange linking I-73 to I-95, officials said. The interchange would cross Interstate 95 ... "The bridge ..... will be replaced with a longer bridge with a higher vertical clearance,"  the DOT said in a statement after Thursday's meeting. "This bridge must be replaced to accommodate the future ramps associated with the I-95/I-73 interchange."  ... But even if I-73 is never constructed, agency officials insisted the bridge work approved Thursday will make roads safer and easier to travel in rural eastern South Carolina. In addition to a new bridge across I-95, the project also will widen parts of two roads, U.S. 501 and S.C. 301, and make interchange improvements near the path of the proposed interstate ...  "It is a complementary part of it that would be necessary to accommodate I-73, yes,"  said John Walsh, the DOT's deputy secretary for engineering. "The beauty of the project is that it also is a valid, stand-alone project."  ...

Also, here is a link to a video report about an I-73 public forum that was held in Florence Sept. 16:
http://www.carolinalive.com/news/story.aspx?id=664128

Here's a link to an article about the Sept. 16 meeting containing an exchange between a coastal politician and an Upstate SCDOT Commissioner/I-73 opponent which reflects the interstate haves vs have-nots tension also seen in similar debates in other states:
http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/09/16/2391976/opponents-expected-at-meeting.html

Sarah Nuckles, a DOT commissioner from Rock Hill who opposes the road, said there is no justification for the expense, and that people will come to Myrtle Beach anyway. She also questioned the accuracy of economic projections and expected job creation.
Rep. Nelson Hardwick, R-Surfside Beach, stood up and waved his arm and cried out for her attention.
``Has I-85 been good for the Upstate?'' he asked her.
``Yes it has,'' Nuckles said.
``Thank you,'' Hardwick replied.

jwolfer

Quote from: CanesFan27 on May 01, 2011, 07:42:57 PM
...... It's not even going to see daylight until well after 2020, and so many things can change between now and then that they could move I-74 to Wilmington (they've already moved it to Myrle Beach from Charleston), they could renumber it, they could ditch the whole thing, who knows what.

I like renumbering US 74  to I-28  from I-26 thru Charlotte and on to Wilmington.  Don't even bother with the I-74 wet dream through VA, WV and OH.  Maybe would have happened in 1955 but never now.  Not to mention having I-74 coming down to the I-2x territory and duplicate of US 74 and I-74 in the same state and on the same road

Grzrd

Facing the grim reality of scarce state and federal funds, Horry County, S.C. is considering using local funding to pay for I-73: either an extension of a 1 1/2% hospitality tax or implementation of a 1% increase in the sales tax:
http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/11/14/2493997/an-i-73-plan-if-we-want-it.html

... here's the idea in a nutshell:
The county's tax funds from RIDE — the Road Improvement Development Effort that built much of S.C. 31, S.C. 22 and dozens of other projects — are scheduled to come to an end at the close of 2021. In fact, because the 1.5 percent tax on lodging, restaurants and attractions is authorized to collect only so much money and revenues have been higher than expected, it could end as soon as 2020.
Gray and others are hoping to extend that RIDE tax for up to 20 more years to pay for construction of I-73, at least from the road's interchange with I-95 near Florence to its Grand Strand terminus at S.C. 22. Barring that, another option under consideration is to let the hospitality tax lapse and instead enact a 1 percent sales tax across the board to help pay for the highway ...

Here's a link to an earlier, Nov. 7, article:
http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/11/07/2486023/myrtle-beach-horry-county-and.html

Building the I-73 connector between I-95 and S.C. 38 is possible using Horry County RIDE 1 sales tax money ... said Myrtle Beach City Councilman Wayne Gray at Monday's joint meeting between the city, the county and members of the legislative delegation.
Gray asked the officials present to consider forming a committee to explore the ideas of using some of the RIDE 1 1.5-cent sales tax revenue for the project, or extending the tax past its sunset date in 2023 to pay the estimated $600 million bill.
He said he recognizes that people will ask why Horry County tax funds should be used to build a project in Dillon, Marion and Williamsburg counties.
"Because it's the right thing to do,"  Gray said. "We will be the biggest beneficiary of that road."  ...

CanesFan27

Bob Malme reviews 2011 and previews 2012 for I-73:

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2011/12/i-73i-74-in-nc-year-in-review-part-1.html

He gives an update on the Asheboro US 220 improvement projects and discusses the I-73 contracts that will be out to bid in 2012 including the first part (of 3) of the NC 68/US 220 connector north of Greensboro, and the first segment of the Rockingham Bypass that will connect existing I-73/74/US 220 to the US 74/Future I-74 route south of Rockingham.

CanesFan27

And Bob has the 2011 year in review for I-74 in NC up as well:

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2011/12/i-73i-74-in-nc-year-in-review-part-2.html

Also, the King/Tobaccoville interchange reconstruction on US 52 (Future I-74) is finished, upgraded to standards, and the roadway was configured for possible expansion to six lanes.

CanesFan27

A unit of Michael Baker Corporation has been selected to do the final design for the 5.7 mile segment of I-73 in South Carolina from I-95 to US 501.

The contract award was $5.1 million - nothing in this press release on when this step will be completed or when construction will begin.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/baker-selected-by-south-carolina-dot-to-design-new-section-of-interstate-highway-2012-01-16

jcarte29

Is it just me, or does that U-turn on I-74 in eastern NC look kind of screwed up?  Seems it should go south from Whiteville into SC, or east into Wilmington, not go halfway to Wilmington and change its mind.

I think it's hilarious...what should happen is that I-74 should end in Wilmington at the eventual extension of I-140, and if the Carolina Bays Parkway is extended north from SC, then it could be an I-x74 North/South designation. (or it could also be an I-x73 since it will come via the Conway By-Pass)

I-20 is a pipedream, it'll never reach the border of SC/NC. just sayin.

Fixed quote. - rmf67
Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

NE2

An I-20 extension would be pointless. It would be 70 miles long yet only save 10 miles over the I-95 to I-74 route.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Henry

Quote from: NE2 on February 03, 2012, 03:31:30 AM
An I-20 extension would be pointless. It would be 70 miles long yet only save 10 miles over the I-95 to I-74 route.
Besides, it could've been extended to Myrtle Beach when the opportunity was there years ago; that would've been a better eastern terminus than Wilmington.

Quote from: jcarte29 on February 03, 2012, 02:15:06 AM
Is it just me, or does that U-turn on I-74 in eastern NC look kind of screwed up?  Seems it should go south from Whiteville into SC, or east into Wilmington, not go halfway to Wilmington and change its mind.

I think it's hilarious...what should happen is that I-74 should end in Wilmington at the eventual extension of I-140, and if the Carolina Bays Parkway is extended north from SC, then it could be an I-x74 North/South designation. (or it could also be an I-x73 since it will come via the Conway By-Pass)

I-20 is a pipedream, it'll never reach the border of SC/NC. just sayin.

Fixed quote. - rmf67
I like that idea! I think an I-x73 number would be a better fit for the highway, since the first piece of I-73 is already there.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

CanesFan27

NCDOT awards project on another small piece of I-73 in Greensboro. This is on one of the multiple segments of the US 220/NC 68 connector that will become I-73.

https://apps.dot.state.nc.us/pio/releases/details.aspx?r=6158

Bob Malme has more - including some signing samples - on the blog:
http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2012/03/ncdot-awards-next-i-73-project.html

jcarte29

Does anyone have any pictures or updates (besides looking at the "progress report" from NCDOT) on the last piece of the I-74/US 311 connector to Randleman?
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

dfilpus

Quote from: jcarte29 on March 13, 2012, 12:39:45 PM
Does anyone have any pictures or updates (besides looking at the "progress report" from NCDOT) on the last piece of the I-74/US 311 connector to Randleman?
From October: http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2011/12/i-73i-74-in-nc-year-in-review-part-2.html

bob7374

Thought that since I've joined this forum, I would post my own I-73/74 info instead of you having to rely on others to forward it to those who are interested.

Latest I-73/I-74 in NC news since the year in review blog post:
1. The US 311 Bypass (I-74) project is 85.8% complete as of the end of April. Not much progress has occurred in the past couple months as progress has only gone up about 2%. Still NCDOT is forecasting an October 2012 opening. My local contact in the Randleman area reports all the bridges are complete, except for work on the railroad bridge just south of the future freeway interchange with current 311. I will be heading to NC next month for 8 weeks and hope to get new photos of the construction work.

2. US 220 (Future I-73/74) through Asheboro. Construction, according to NCDOT, is 72.3% complete as of the end of April. Work is proceeding on the left-hand shoulders north of US 64/NC 49. The project south of there to NC 134/Business 220 is mostly complete. My contact reports new exit signage along with new exit numbers have gone up along this stretch (for those with exit lists at home, the new numbers are 68 for NC 134/Business 220 and 71 for McConnell Rd). According to an Asheboro newspaper article in March, the remainder of the new signage and exit numbers in the project area should go up at work's completion, currently scheduled for late October. NCDOT has a project to update signage and exit numbers south of Asheboro to Ellerbe, but that will not start until the summer of 2013. Until then probably some motorist confusion. North of Asheboro, the numbers will probably be changed to I-73 mileage too, at least up to the I-74 interchange, at the conclusion of that project.

3. Work started last month on the US 220 widening phase of the US 220-NC 68 Connector Project which will take I-73 north of Greensboro, and perhaps eventually to VA. Work on the Connector won't start for another couple years, but the beginning of the interchange between the Connector and US 220 will be started as part of the current project. For those who haven't seen my blog post:
http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2012/03/ncdot-awards-next-i-73-project.html

4. For those that did not see the year-in-review blog post referred to in earlier posts, the FHWA has allowed NCDOT to sign the US 220 freeway as an interstate, both north of Asheboro and south of Candor once the construction project in Asheboro is complete. It will be interesting to see how quick the Future I-73 (I-73/I-74) shields are replaced in those sections. That's all I have for now.

I-73/I-74 in NC: (as of now still updated through the Fall of 2010): http://www.duke.edu/~rmalme/prog7374.html

CanesFan27

Last Weekend, Bob, Chris Allen, and I did some exploring on the progress of I-74 in Randolph County.

Bob's Roadtrip Report:
http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2012/06/road-trip-along-i-73i-74-corridor.html

My photo set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adamontheroad/sets/72157630150484034/

jcarte29

Thank you guys for the updates on 73/74. I remember about 15 years ago when I first traveled the first completed by-pass work south of Candor, and even though I don't live in that area anymore, I am still very interested in its progress (hometown Winston-Salem). Much appreciated!
------------------

CarolinaPaladin

Does anyone know if a route connecting I-73/I-74 in Randleman to US-64 toward Siler City or to US-421 towrad Liberty is somewhere in the pipeline?

Strider

I can't be more than happy for how NC and SC is trying to make the interstates come true. I dont know about Virginia though.. I think that in the future, I-73 will just exist from Roanoke to Myrtle Beach, and I-74 from I-81 southward as well.

Is there more pictures on the US 220 improvements though Asheboro? Just wondering.

When is the new updated I-73/74 website up and running?

dfilpus

Quote from: CarolinaPaladin on June 18, 2012, 12:30:35 AM
Does anyone know if a route connecting I-73/I-74 in Randleman to US-64 toward Siler City or to US-421 towrad Liberty is somewhere in the pipeline?
The only new highway in the pipeline for that area is the US 64 bypass of Asheboro, which will be built south of town. It will run between town and the zoo. It will provide a highway access to the zoo. The long term intent is for US 64 to be four laned with freeway bypasses of towns for its entire length. However, no proposals for bypasses of Siler City and Ramseur have surfaced yet.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.