State-named interstate shields

Started by Mergingtraffic, May 06, 2014, 09:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Alex on June 22, 2016, 04:02:08 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on June 22, 2016, 09:43:34 AM
What's the difference between "Always" and "Widespread"?  Does "Always" mean they have never stopped using state named shields, and "Widespread" means they have always used state named shields, but a few neutered shields have slipped through the cracks from contractors and such?

Well keep in mind that I worked with what paulthemapguy came up with and came up with the classifications on the fly. So it's still open to interpretation.  :coffee:
With that stated, widespread meant that the state installs both state named shields and neutered shields, but with a tendency for the former. Georgia is a good example. You can find a mixture of both state and non-state name on the I-95 mainline for instance. Widespread also conveys that it is not hard to find a state-named shield. Contrast this to a state like Virginia where you may find some for I-81, but you will never find one for I-77 as the last was replaced several years ago.

The reason I ask is I have seen some neutered shields in California.  They are rare, but just as rare as seeing a neutered shield in Arizona.

Any neutered instance in California is either a local install or a contractor error. Those angular 3-di width neutered I-5's installed in the Central Valley for instance were placed in error. The error reference is from when Andy corresponded with Caltrans about them a few years back. So more or less, all state named shields is what you get (or are supposed to get).

Texas has had a love/hate relationship with state named shields.  There were times they did and times they didn't.  I would say Texas should not be in the "Not until recently" category.  There should be a "neuter/state shield mix" category.  That way, states that are big like Texas that have several districts (and believe it or not, TxDOT districts do things way different from district to district) can be better represented because one district may be state shield heavy while another never puts out state shields.

Yes, you are correct, Texas was vastly neutered up until a few years ago. The state is "recently added," because of our very own Jeff R, who led efforts to have the state re-add the name on Interstate shields. He went to a number of agencies, chambers of commerce, etc. to pitch the idea. In the end, the right people liked the concept of having their state's name displayed that much more often, so it was re-added to their signing practices. He was similarly successful with convincing LADOTD to readopt it in Louisiana.

Is Arkansas correct?  I thought they recently incorporated neutered shields, but still have some state shields, like on Interstate 49.

The Arkansas neutering news, along with Iowa and Missouri, was also from Jeff R. Most new assemblies. I cannot confirm if they all new assemblies are, but ones I have seen posted here, such as those for I-555 are neutered with the over sized numbers. Granted there are plenty of remaining state named shields in place (and will be for years to come), I mostly wanted to pass on the info that a few states that previously used the state name no longer will.

What I am trying to say about Texas is they, have been using state shields on and off since the interstate highway system started.  There were sections of the state that used only state shields for a long time (like the entire length of I-37, and that freeway was finished in the mid 80's, so up until maybe the 1990s they were still posting state shields).  I would say since the early 90s until the late 2000s Texas used neutered shields, but Texas is in the "not until recently" category, which makes it seem like they never did it, then just a few days ago they did it for the first time.  All I mean is you can find some state shields that are not dated a few years ago, and are also not dated from 1962 when it was standard to have a state shield and there was no neutered option.

I am still confused on the difference between "Always" and "Widespread".  I hear you California are always state shields and there are some contractor nurtured shields, but Arizona and New Mexico are the exact same way.  It is in their respective highway departments to have a state shield, and if there is a nurtured one, it is a contractor error, yet they are in the "Widespread" category. 

I realize I might be splitting hairs, just asking for a clarification as to what makes you an "Always" state vs. a "Widespread" state.

paulthemapguy

Basically, "Occasional" is where both types exist, but state-named shields are less common than neutered.  "Widespread" is when state-named shields are as common or more common than neutered shields.  If there are only a few ancient signs with state names on them, I'm keeping it as red, like with Illinois.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 22, 2016, 07:04:59 PM
Basically, "Occasional" is where both types exist, but state-named shields are less common than neutered.  "Widespread" is when state-named shields are as common or more common than neutered shields.  If there are only a few ancient signs with state names on them, I'm keeping it as red, like with Illinois.

That all makes sense, but I am asking the difference between "Always" and "Widespread".  I guess what do the "Always" (or green) states have that the "Widespread" (or yellow) states don't?  I guess I am saying have you seen x amount of neutered shields in Oklahoma, or there are x amount of pictures of neutered shields in Oklahoma to make it "Widespread" and not "Always", while California is considered "Always" because the nurtured shields found in California (are we counting some of the old ceramic BGS with smaller button copy shields with no state name as well?) are 1000000% known to be put up by a contracted company?

I am not trying to pick this apart, I am just having a hard time differentiating the yellow and the green states since in my experience, I would consider them the same.  Little help.

Alex

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on June 23, 2016, 04:42:18 PM
I am not trying to pick this apart, I am just having a hard time differentiating the yellow and the green states since in my experience, I would consider them the same.  Little help.

Green - neutered shields are rare
Yellow - mostly state name, but plenty of neutered mixed in

paulthemapguy

In some states, it's pretty much impossible to find neutered shields.  Those states are green.  And don't get me wrong- I'm not putting this map together based on my knowledge alone lol.  I'm trying to get all the input from others in this thread and assemble it together in a way that's easy to demonstrate.

Regarding Florida, are the shields popping up new or are they just really old ones that adhere to an archaic standard?

Quote from: Alex on June 21, 2016, 05:12:34 PM

Kansas should be Widespread, not "not until recently".

When did they switch over?  Do you know?  I'm considering changing it.

While Seattle's city department occasionally crafts state named shields, I'd still say the state should be red. Maybe hatch work for the state, add another color category for states with local jurisdictions still posting them, or just put an orange dot over Seattle :p

The orange wasn't originally part of the map...The orange is already my idea of a mix/hatch between red and yellow lol
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Bickendan

There is one, recent state-name I-5 shield in Oregon: Halsey, at the intersection of OR 99E and 228.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: cl94 on June 21, 2016, 05:36:19 PM
While Seattle's city department occasionally crafts state named shields, I'd still say the state should be red. Maybe hatch work for the state, add another color category for states with local jurisdictions still posting them, or just put an orange dot over Seattle :p

Vermont still has quite a few state name shields around, even with the mass replacement. Noticed a bunch along I-91 when I was through there this weekend.

Ooooh I'd love to know where? PM me if you wish.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

cl94

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on June 24, 2016, 09:11:33 PM

Vermont still has quite a few state name shields around, even with the mass replacement. Noticed a bunch along I-91 when I was through there this weekend.

I-91 south of I-89, SB side. Don't know about NB. One is immediately south of I-89. As you can see, it is in very good shape.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

freebrickproductions

Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 23, 2016, 08:02:23 PM
In some states, it's pretty much impossible to find neutered shields.  Those states are green.  And don't get me wrong- I'm not putting this map together based on my knowledge alone lol.  I'm trying to get all the input from others in this thread and assemble it together in a way that's easy to demonstrate.
I know with Alabama, neutered are somewhat hard to find, unless you know where to look (such as the east end of I-22).
Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 23, 2016, 08:02:23 PM
Regarding Florida, are the shields popping up new or are they just really old ones that adhere to an archaic standard?
IIRC, the state named ones that have popped up recently are new ones!
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jp the roadgeek

I would classify CT as "Widespread" rather than "Always".  I've seen one sign go from a state shield 20 years ago to neutered up until about 3 years ago, and now it's a state shield again.  I've seen both at the same interchange.  Seems ConnDOT went toward neutered shields about 15 years ago, but state shields are popping up again.  Overall, there are more state shields than neutered. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 22, 2016, 04:22:50 PM
Contrast this to a state like Virginia where you may find some for I-81, but you will never find one for I-77 as the last was replaced several years ago.

Not that it changes the meaning of your thoughts, but as of Sept 2015 there was still at least 1 state-named I-77 shield:
https://goo.gl/maps/592CmGCN9KS2

Wow, nice find there.  Thought that the last one for I-77 had been this one along US-11.  Guess it survived because of not being along a numbered route.  I'm going to have to make a note to go there and try to get a picture next time I'm down that way if I have the time, and if nobody reports it as being gone.

Mapmikey

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on June 25, 2016, 08:24:17 AM
Contrast this to a state like Virginia where you may find some for I-81, but you will never find one for I-77 as the last was replaced several years ago.

Not that it changes the meaning of your thoughts, but as of Sept 2015 there was still at least 1 state-named I-77 shield:

Wow, nice find there.  Thought that the last one for I-77 had been this one along US-11.  Guess it survived because of not being along a numbered route.  I'm going to have to make a note to go there and try to get a picture next time I'm down that way if I have the time, and if nobody reports it as being gone.

Well if it's gone I did get a half-way decent picture of it in 2007...

hbelkins

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 25, 2016, 11:17:37 AM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on June 25, 2016, 08:24:17 AM

Well if it's gone I did get a half-way decent picture of it in 2007...

If I get to make my county-collecting trip to South Carolina, I'll be in Wytheville. (Possibly overnighting in the area.) I'll try to remember to get a photo. Unfortunately it'll be in the afternoon and that faces southwest.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hbelkins

Quote from: cl94 on June 24, 2016, 11:35:42 PM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on June 24, 2016, 09:11:33 PM

I-91 south of I-89, SB side. Don't know about NB. One is immediately south of I-89. As you can see, it is in very good shape.

Saw a few northbound when I was there a few years ago.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

slorydn1

I have seen state named shields on both I-95 and I-40 (or roads leading up to them) in North Carolina over the recent months but they are few and far between to be sure. Although a small number of those were in good enough shape to be classified as recent installs and not left over relics, I am not sure if that alone would be good enough to change your ranking from none to occasionally.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Alex

Quote from: slorydn1 on June 26, 2016, 11:13:31 AM
I have seen state named shields on both I-95 and I-40 (or roads leading up to them) in North Carolina over the recent months but they are few and far between to be sure. Although a small number of those were in good enough shape to be classified as recent installs and not left over relics, I am not sure if that alone would be good enough to change your ranking from none to occasionally.

The none could be amended to "none with very few exceptions". There is the infamous "State" shield assembly in TN, and Bickendan's post upthread about a state named shield in Oregon adds at least one for the state. But otherwise in states like those and in NC, finding state named shields is so extremely rare that it might as well be "none." I-26 for instance has one known shield, and that's an NPS based assembly. The newish I-540 that was installed in the 2000s by Raleigh has already been replaced, so even contractor errors don't always have a long life span in neutered states. Whatever paulthemapguy decides for the map description is fine with me. :)

Nice find. I recall that the one in Wytheville previously referenced by James was the last one. At the time, I read that there were none left...glad to know that there is.

bzakharin

Do any states put state named shields on BGSs? I ask because, though I've seen plenty of standalone state named shields in NJ and PA, I am pretty sure I've never seen one on an overhead sign (same goes for county routes in NJ. They're all neutered on overheads).

Alex

Quote from: bzakharin on June 27, 2016, 09:54:22 AM
Do any states put state named shields on BGSs? I ask because, though I've seen plenty of standalone state named shields in NJ and PA, I am pretty sure I've never seen one on an overhead sign (same goes for county routes in NJ. They're all neutered on overheads).

More recently Mississippi and Utah have some regular uses of state named shields on guide signage. Otherwise the placement of them on green signs is somewhat random and generally not a standard practice.

mariethefoxy

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Alex on June 27, 2016, 09:41:09 AM
There is the infamous "State" shield assembly in TN...
Anyone got a photo of that?
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Ian

Quote from: mariethefoxy on June 27, 2016, 10:53:24 AM
doesnt Maine do that?

They did for a time, and they sometimes still do, but it's not standard. When MaineDOT swapped I-95 onto the Maine Turnpike north of Falmouth (practically deleting I-495, making it unsigned on the Falmouth Spur) and extended I-295 to Gardiner, they slapped on replacement shields over the old ones on the BGSs that included the state name. On what was I-495, MaineDOT used 3-digit state named I-95 shields to cover the old 495 shields.

What it looked like before (photo from AARoads, from 2003)...

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Mapmikey

rickmastfan67

PA does have a few on overhead signs.  I know of a few for I-81 (starting with that BGS and I think the next two also have them), and one for I-279 (however, it's on PA-28).

jakeroot

Dis-regarding the little-green signs with all the state-named shields in Seattle, there are a couple of BGS' with state-named interstate shields in Washington:

This one is in Tukwila (very faded, see right BGS), EB along the South Boeing Access Road:

And this one is in suburban Pierce County (likely the last state-named shield in Pierce County), SB along Canyon Road as it approaches WA-512:

cl94

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on June 28, 2016, 05:57:10 PM

PA does have a few on overhead signs.  I know of a few for I-81 (starting with that BGS and I think the next two also have them), and one for I-279 (however, it's on PA-28).

I saw a few in the vicinity of Breezewood today for I-70 and I-76.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.