News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Denver to Salt Lake City

Started by Fcexpress80, April 24, 2009, 02:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corco

The intent is that it serves the Denver to Las Vegas/Los Angeles corridor, shaving a couple hundred miles off of that (compared to I-80 or I-40). I-70 in isolation looks useless, but expand your vision to include I-15 and suddenly it looks like a pretty nice diagonal from Denver to Vegas.

That said, an extension to Reno would be neat

agentsteel53

maybe as a two-lane interstate... US-50 west of Cove Fort is indeed a very lonely highway.  There is no need for it to be four lanes.  To I-15, four lanes makes sense as there is a moderate amount of truck traffic, but past it, no.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Hellfighter

Quote from: corco on January 01, 2010, 04:55:12 PM
The intent is that it serves the Denver to Las Vegas/Los Angeles corridor, shaving a couple hundred miles off of that (compared to I-80 or I-40). I-70 in isolation looks useless, but expand your vision to include I-15 and suddenly it looks like a pretty nice diagonal from Denver to Vegas.

That said, an extension to Reno would be neat

There's an idea, widen US-50 and raise the speed limit to 90!  ;-)

TXtoNJ

Quote from: Hellfighter on January 01, 2010, 04:27:13 PM
I feel that that section of I-70 is wasted because it's not really going anywhere. If they really wanted to make it good, they would extend it to meet up with I-80 west of Reno.

Think of it less as a highway from Denver to anywhere, and more as the fastest way from Los Angeles to Chicago and New York City by road. Then I-70 makes a lot more sense, and fully justifies the expense.

agentsteel53

I feel that that section of I-70 is wasted because it's not really going anywhere. If they really wanted to make it good, they would extend it to meet up with I-80 west of Reno.

the only problem with US-50 west of Salina is the slightly perverse path it takes to Scipio.  Given traffic volumes, the two-lane corridor is perfectly sufficient to Reno.

the part of US-50 that needs an upgrade, badly, is from Reno to the foothills where the current freeway begins.  Also that one intersection with 49 in Placerville.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

sammack

NV's answer to that, no.

They feel US 50 is adequate for the traffic.

A multi-billion dollar interstate is not going to happen

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.