News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Incorrect highways marked on Google Maps

Started by Riverside Frwy, November 08, 2009, 09:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kacie Jane

The next person who brings up a "U.S. Route X in XXXX" error will be viciously and repeatedly slapped in the face with a fish.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Kacie Jane on May 03, 2012, 09:01:26 PM
The next person who brings up a "U.S. Route X in XXXX" error will be viciously and repeatedly slapped in the face with a fish.

Agreed.  We all know about this happening.  No need to keep telling us. lol.  Just report it to Google (if you want to) and leave it at that. ;)  Save this thread for the really crazy ones that aren't the "U.S. Route X in XXXX" error. LOL. :-D

corco

rickmastfan67

Quote from: corco on May 03, 2012, 10:32:04 PM
US 66 has been reinstated!

ROTFL!!! If you didn't believe that the Google Mods are idiots, this proves it!!
http://g.co/maps/7qra5

agentsteel53

are we sure the 66 isn't intentional?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mukade

Everyone knows that should be US 66 in Illinois.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 03, 2012, 10:46:34 PM
are we sure the 66 isn't intentional?

Well, it's certainly intentional on someone's part, it didn't just show up by mere accident.  That doesn't make it correct.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Kacie Jane on May 03, 2012, 11:39:03 PM
Well, it's certainly intentional on someone's part, it didn't just show up by mere accident.  That doesn't make it correct.
I don't mind it too much, but I wish they'd use something like a brown or gray shield, and also label the old alignment.  any idiot can drive US-66 by taking I-40, 44, etc.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

So US 66 is back. If it hasn't happened yet, this is Google Maps' "jump the shark" moment.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bickendan

Google Maps: Used by the cast of Happy Days.

mcdonaat

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 03, 2012, 11:52:52 PM
So US 66 is back. If it hasn't happened yet, this is Google Maps' "jump the shark" moment.
Nobody should report it :P

Kacie Jane

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 03, 2012, 11:47:52 PM
Quote from: Kacie Jane on May 03, 2012, 11:39:03 PM
I don't mind it too much, but I wish they'd use something like a brown or gray shield, and also label the old alignment.  any idiot can drive US-66 by taking I-40, 44, etc.

I find it ironic that your post starts with the words, "I don't mind it too much", and then you state exactly why I do mind it.  I have no problem with RMcN's treatment of Route 66.  It doesn't specify it as old or historic, but it does separate it from present day routes, and it labels an alignment that people would actually be interested in following for its historical significance, rather than simply labelling a corridor.

Mr. Matté

So I tried changing all of US 40 to "U.S. Route 40 in New Jersey" (because there's "Too much bias for the Midwest for misnamed U.S. Routes. (US 30 in Nebraska, US 67 in Illinois, etc.)"). This is the response I got:

QuoteReason: Good information changed for the worse
Comments: That routes identified by state name have spread across the country is a bug that will soon be fixed. Let's not give Google one more bug to sort through.

I don't think these naming issues are bugs though...

Bickendan

Maybe it is, though attempting to change the whole name of the route to another state isn't. At least they're 'aware' of it and claim they'll fix it soon. Prediction: The US route error will be fixed, only for a similar issue for the Interstates, E-Routes or (more subtly) for the Rocky/Prairie TCH...

sr641

indiana 641 is labeled as yellow and it shows indiana 63 ending at hulman  street rather than at the exit with us 41 in terre haute
Isaac

kphoger

Apparently, Mexican federal highway 95(D) goes by number on one side, and goes by name on the other.
Also notice the English tag 'Toll road' versus the Spanish tag 'Vía de peaje' (a term not really used in México).
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

HighwayMaster

Why can't GM use the reddish notation for toll roads that is used in Europe for the US and Canada instead of just using "(Toll road)"?
Life is too short not to have Tim Hortons donuts.

Bickendan

For that matter, why do Japan and the British Isles get a different symbology from the rest of the world?
(With that said, the Japan/British symbology looks cleaner than the rest of the worlds x.x)

kphoger

I also like how nearly every federal or state highway in México is drawn with an orange line, whereas only freeways are orange in the States.  Zoom out, and it looks like the U.S. has a pathetic road system compared to our southern neighbors.  :crazy:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

txstateends

I looked at the US 66 "redesignation", and the OK 4-route overlap is back: http://g.co/maps/2tz82

Meanwhile, another "blanket" labeling, along US 62 (which I first noticed several days ago), "Brownfield Hwy.", has apparently been removed.  I've checked several spots, none of which listed the naming--which should only label the part between Lubbock and Brownfield, TX.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Michael

Quote from: mukade on May 03, 2012, 10:48:54 PM

Everyone knows that should be US 66 in Illinois.

I literally LOL'd.

Here's something a little different than the "US X In _____" error.  It's two "US X In _____" errors on the same road!

P.S.: Kacie, please don't slap me with a fish!

Kacie Jane

Quote from: Michael on May 11, 2012, 05:42:57 PM
Here's something a little different than the "US X In _____" error.  It's two "US X In _____" errors on the same road!

P.S.: Kacie, please don't slap me with a fish!

I'll concede that it is quite amusing to have each direction labeled as being in a different state.

Nevertheless, here, have a herring...

Central Avenue

Perhaps the median runs down the state line.  :-D
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Morriswa

ftballfan

M-394 in Cass County is still on the map.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.