News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NCDOT to add I-495 onto US 64 from I-440 to I-95

Started by Mapmikey, February 27, 2013, 08:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcarte29

Quote from: broadhurst04 on May 11, 2013, 09:16:40 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on May 09, 2013, 04:48:34 PM
I still think the I-640 switch is a good idea.  :-/

So do I. The Raleigh Outer Loop is the most horribly mis-managed freeway project I've ever seen. Part toll, part free, AND the wrong number.

Amen. I know Charlott-ians have to be laughing while the final segment of I-485 (the only actual loop of its kind in NC) gets built.

While I'm not so concerned about Greensboro, it would make sense for I-840 to be a complete loop and share the southern half with I-85 on the SE side and I-73 on the SW side. Or why not re-designate it as an even x85?? (Such as I-685) It could start at the same spot since that's the I-40/85 split, and here's an idea, let Winston-Salem have 840 for Green 40 once its upgrade is completed.
Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

CanesFan27

Charlotte isn't laughing.  They've done nothing but complain about how they didn't have a full loop when Raleigh had one and is getting two.  The thinking in Charlotte is that the Raleigh Beltline is a loop already. Charlotte has complained about Wilmington and Fayetteville loop projects as well.  Especially during the Governor Easley administration.

As for the Raleigh Outer Loop being mismanaged?   A lot of it has done with the lack of funding available as a result of the outdated 'equity formula'.  The only reason 540 is toll in Southwestern Wake County is because it was the only means to build the highway.

The wrong number was the result of a FHWA Administrator saying that the highway had to be 540 because it didn't connect to another Interstate at the time.

You can argue that the handling of construction of the toll road and its operation since is mismanaged.  But to say that it is mismanaged because half is free, half is toll, and it's a 5 instead of a 6 in front of it, is silly.

Henry

Quote from: CanesFan27 on May 13, 2013, 09:15:59 AM
Charlotte isn't laughing.  They've done nothing but complain about how they didn't have a full loop when Raleigh had one and is getting two.  The thinking in Charlotte is that the Raleigh Beltline is a loop already. Charlotte has complained about Wilmington and Fayetteville loop projects as well.  Especially during the Governor Easley administration.

As for the Raleigh Outer Loop being mismanaged?   A lot of it has done with the lack of funding available as a result of the outdated 'equity formula'.  The only reason 540 is toll in Southwestern Wake County is because it was the only means to build the highway.

The wrong number was the result of a FHWA Administrator saying that the highway had to be 540 because it didn't connect to another Interstate at the time.

You can argue that the handling of construction of the toll road and its operation since is mismanaged.  But to say that it is mismanaged because half is free, half is toll, and it's a 5 instead of a 6 in front of it, is silly.
That's yet another example of the state's largest city bullying its capital city. In addition, Charlotte is overlooking one fact: It already has a loop highway of its own (I-277), even if it only serves downtown and surrounding areas. So, like Raleigh, it'll have two loop highways when the I-485 Outerbelt is finally done.

As for the complaints about I-540 and how it carries the wrong number, a lot of roadgeeks were convinced that the number is only temporary and will eventually change to I-640 after the entire loop is completed. But I-540 is still there, and most of us will probably fret if it connects back to I-40 south of Raleigh. I-520 is a similar example, but it gets away with reconnecting to its parent in another state.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Strider

Charlotte always complain about anything. It's a #1 city in North Carolina for a reason.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Henry on May 13, 2013, 11:07:10 AM
That's yet another example of the state's largest city bullying its capital city. In addition, Charlotte is overlooking one fact: It already has a loop highway of its own (I-277), even if it only serves downtown and surrounding areas. So, like Raleigh, it'll have two loop highways when the I-485 Outerbelt is finally done.

There is a big difference between I-277 (4-mi downtown partial loop) and I-440 (16-mi city partial loop), these are not apples to apples.

bob7374

I've created a new page on my NC Future Interstates site to track the developments regarding I-495. The page can be reached at www.gribblenation.net/ncfutints/fut495.html

CanesFan27

WashuOtaku

Meh... fine.  Should switch I-540 to I-640 while they at it, but I know they wont.

CanesFan27

Quote from: WashuOtaku on December 12, 2013, 05:58:42 PM
Meh... fine.  Should switch I-540 to I-640 while they at it, but I know they wont.

NCDOT actually requested that the FHWA give an exception in keeping the designation as I-540. 

bob7374

Quote from: CanesFan27 on December 12, 2013, 06:14:50 PM
Quote from: WashuOtaku on December 12, 2013, 05:58:42 PM

NCDOT actually requested that the FHWA give an exception in keeping the designation as I-540. 
Doesn't NCDOT's actions to try to keep the I-540 designation while asking for the I-495 number seem a little inconsistent? They asked for an even x95 because, though the route acts like a spur, it connects to interstates at both ends, meanwhile, they want I-540 which will also connect interstates at both ends, to keep its number. I know the 540 route number has been around for more than a decade and they say it will cause less problems to keep it the same but then, why not ask for an odd designation for US 64, since it serves the function of an interstate spur, if the concept of having an even number interstate is not really that important. The suggestion on my Future Interstates page back in the early 2000s was to call an I-95 spur route to Raleigh via US 64, I-395.

Duke87

QuoteThe section between I-440 and I-540 on the east side of Raleigh will have the I-495 designation, while the stretch of U.S. 64 between I-540 and I-95 will be designated Future I-495.

*facepalm*

Either make the whole route an actual interstate or don't bother! This bullshit about "future" interstates is ridiculous.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

froggie

QuoteEither make the whole route an actual interstate or don't bother! This bullshit about "future" interstates is ridiculous.

A)   they can't designate it as a full Interstate until the shoulders get improved.

B)  unlike other states, North Carolina has been pretty consistent about following through on its Interstate intentions.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: Duke87 on December 15, 2013, 10:23:23 PM
*facepalm*

Either make the whole route an actual interstate or don't bother! This bullshit about "future" interstates is ridiculous.

I don't see why not considering PA has plenty of signed Interstate highways that are of lower quality than that stretch of US-64.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: NJRoadfan on December 16, 2013, 04:29:52 PM
I don't see why not considering PA has plenty of signed Interstate highways that are of lower quality than that stretch of US-64.

Those roads were probably built before standards got tougher, they are grandfathered in now.  New interstates on the map must meet higher standards.

broadhurst04

hbelkins

And when I clicked the link, there were at least three familiar names in the comments section.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CanesFan27

corco

It is amusing, I suppose, but what an obnoxious and pointless article. It doesnt paint the discussion on this thread in a fair light and then he spends the entire article whining that its a pointless subject that nobody cares about- why even write it? Its basically trolling.

CanesFan27

Quote from: corco on December 31, 2013, 03:41:07 PM
It is amusing, I suppose, but what an obnoxious and pointless article. It doesnt paint the discussion on this thread in a fair light and then he spends the entire article whining that its a pointless subject that nobody cares about- why even write it? Its basically trolling.

Gotta fill column inches.  Anyways for those that may be interested,  I-495 shields are now showing up on google maps along the designated section of the Knightdale bypass.

bob7374

Quote from: CanesFan27 on February 22, 2014, 08:23:35 PM
Anyways for those that may be interested,  I-495 shields are now showing up on google maps along the designated section of the Knightdale bypass.
Somehow, I-495 appearing on Google Maps doesn't impress me very much. The same map does not have I-74 along US 311 in Forsyth County, not only does it show US 117 still using the I-795/US 264 freeway, but has both US 117 and US 117 Alt paralleling I-795, plus they list I-74 on the Rockingham Bypass, US 220 still on the Ellerbe Bypass, plus other long-standing mistakes.

Rover_0

I still think that I-495 should be a 2di like I-44 (E), I-46, or even I-50. I mean, where else would I-50 be used?

</tangent>
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Alps

Quote from: Rover_0 on February 25, 2014, 01:47:41 AM
I still think that I-495 should be a 2di like I-44 (E), I-46, or even I-50. I mean, where else would I-50 be used?

</tangent>
I-50 would have been be a great number for proposed I-66 across Kentucky.

mvak36

I concur. They won't connect with the Eastern I-66 and we have all of those unused even 2di numbers.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

rickmastfan67

Does anybody know if I-495 shields have gone up yet?  I noticed somebody added some "I-495" ref tags on OSM and was wondering if it was truly posted yet.  If not, I want to fix the ref tags in that area later today when I have the time.

oscar

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 05, 2014, 01:54:27 AM
Does anybody know if I-495 shields have gone up yet?  I noticed somebody added some "I-495" ref tags on OSM and was wondering if it was truly posted yet.  If not, I want to fix the ref tags in that area later today when I have the time.

They weren't, as of late January on eastbound US 64 between US 264 and I-95.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.