News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

IN: US 31 South Bend to Plymouth Upgrade report

Started by mukade, November 12, 2011, 11:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 21, 2014, 03:04:38 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 21, 2014, 02:34:41 PM
Seems like I saw a map with US 31E and US 31W in IN.  Maybe they could do that.

Yeah, US 31 used to split at Sellersburg with 31E following the current routing of 31 through Jeffersonville and over the Clark bridge.  31W followed what until recently was 311 through New Albany and across the K&I bridge (which no longer carries cars).

However, as this applies to US 41 and SR 63, I don't see any usage of Alt or E/W being an option.  Really AASHTO needs to decide that US 41 needs to be rerouted onto SR 63 and then INDOT would need to create a new designation for old 41 (SR 141?)

indot would just swap 63 and 41 in that case, but what they would love to do is put 41 on 63 and decommission old 41

Avalanchez71

ysuindy

WSBT reporting the new road will be open "by the end of August" with some lane restrictions at the north and south ends.  The lane restrictions will be lifted by the end of the year.

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/indot-new-us-31-just-weeks-from-opening/27075220

August 24 is my target :)  My next trip up to South Bend.

DJStephens

Quote from: hbelkins on July 18, 2014, 08:06:52 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on July 18, 2014, 03:30:42 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 18, 2014, 03:18:42 PM
I'm beginning to think that he doesn't want any new roads built. First the I-69 bridges and now this.

Of course, I'm one of those who thinks that US 31 was fine as it was as a four-lane surface route and a freeway wasn't needed.

It is most definitely needed.  A lot of accidents involving cars slowing to make left turns getting rear-ended.

That's why you build turning lanes or a mountable median.

Come to New Mexico.  They (NM state DOT) can't even accomplish that (center turn lanes or mountable medians)  Would say Indiana has one of the best DOT's I've seen, in terms of foresight and quality of work.  Excellent thread throughout.   

silverback1065

Quote from: DJStephens on July 26, 2014, 05:50:37 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 18, 2014, 08:06:52 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on July 18, 2014, 03:30:42 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 18, 2014, 03:18:42 PM
I'm beginning to think that he doesn't want any new roads built. First the I-69 bridges and now this.

Of course, I'm one of those who thinks that US 31 was fine as it was as a four-lane surface route and a freeway wasn't needed.

It is most definitely needed.  A lot of accidents involving cars slowing to make left turns getting rear-ended.

That's why you build turning lanes or a mountable median.

Come to New Mexico.  They (NM state DOT) can't even accomplish that (center turn lanes or mountable medians)  Would say Indiana has one of the best DOT's I've seen, in terms of foresight and quality of work.  Excellent thread throughout.

I agree, INDOT does a good job, the only thing they do that angers me is the constant rerouting and decommissioning of their routes, but that's not a huge deal.

Revive 755

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 21, 2014, 08:37:04 PM
US 41 is far more scenic then SR 63.

Scenery is irrelevant to US Route versus state route designations.  If US routes were assigned and routed on scenery, there would be a lot more in the more mountainous western states.

mukade

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 21, 2014, 07:19:59 PM
ndot would just swap 63 and 41 in that case, but what they would love to do is put 41 on 63 and decommission old 41

I don't think (current) US 41 is the kind of road INDOT wants to get rid of. INDOT wants to get rid of surface street state roads inside of cities or built-up areas. I don't know why INDOT never moved the US 41 designation to SR 63, though. The Hoosier Heartland is may be another example where US 24 should follow the better route (in favor of SR 25) even though it would make it longer.

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 27, 2014, 12:04:24 AM

Scenery is irrelevant to US Route versus state route designations.  If US routes were assigned and routed on scenery, there would be a lot more in the more mountainous western states.

In this particular instance, I would suggest that SR 63 is a prettier route anyway overall, but I can't agree more that it has no bearing on the conversation.

And finally back on topic:
Quote from: ysuindy on July 22, 2014, 03:33:56 PM
WSBT reporting the new road will be open "by the end of August" with some lane restrictions at the north and south ends.  The lane restrictions will be lifted by the end of the year.

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/indot-new-us-31-just-weeks-from-opening/27075220

August 24 is my target :)  My next trip up to South Bend.

It seems hard to see how the August target will be achieved, but September certainly should be easily achievable. I saw a lot of progress yesterday from my last visit to South bend, but both tie-ins have no pavement laid whatsoever. The bridge at the south end that is being rebuilt is getting close - a month or so ago, there was no bridge at all. The signage that is up (which is a lot) all have exit numbers on them now from US 30 up to US 20.

mobilene

Quote from: mukade on July 27, 2014, 08:23:30 AM
I don't think (current) US 41 is the kind of road INDOT wants to get rid of. INDOT wants to get rid of surface street state roads inside of cities or built-up areas. I don't know why INDOT never moved the US 41 designation to SR 63, though. The Hoosier Heartland is may be another example where US 24 should follow the better route (in favor of SR 25) even though it would make it longer.

I've always imagined that INDOT doesn't care at all about US vs. state designation. To them, they're both the same: a highway they have to maintain. I think that "civilians" might have a sense that US highway > state highway. But to INDOT, I think that distinction is not so important to them.
jim grey | Indianapolis, Indiana

mukade

Quote from: mobilene on July 28, 2014, 09:58:13 AM
Quote from: mukade on July 27, 2014, 08:23:30 AM

I've always imagined that INDOT doesn't care at all about US vs. state designation. To them, they're both the same: a highway they have to maintain. I think that "civilians" might have a sense that US highway > state highway. But to INDOT, I think that distinction is not so important to them.

It will be interesting if INDOT ever tries to make a US highway become discontinuous because of a city. So far, all of the weird cuts have been on state roads.

tdindy88

I doubt they will, you can't just mess with a U.S. highway that may span the entire country, imagine eliminating a small part of US 30, 40 or 50 and making it a discontinuously route for one town. At least with state highways you can keep in in-state and not worry about other state's reaction to it. However, I do see truncations for ENDS of U.S. highways like what's been done with US 35, 136 and 421. Thinking of that, I wonder if US 231 may get truncated west of I-65 someday, that certainly seems possible.

mukade

Quote from: tdindy88 on July 28, 2014, 09:20:42 PM
I doubt they will, you can't just mess with a U.S. highway that may span the entire country, imagine eliminating a small part of US 30, 40 or 50 and making it a discontinuously route for one town. At least with state highways you can keep in in-state and not worry about other state's reaction to it. However, I do see truncations for ENDS of U.S. highways like what's been done with US 35, 136 and 421. Thinking of that, I wonder if US 231 may get truncated west of I-65 someday, that certainly seems possible.

I doubt it as well, but INDOT could shed some useless US highways (like US 421, US 35, and US 136) and then do what they have been doing with some state roads. US 31 thru Columbus could go if US 31 followed I-65 there. Similarly, US 6 could avoid Portage by following SR 49 t to I-94. Roads like US 30 in Dyer leave few options being at a state line.

silverback1065

Quote from: mukade on July 28, 2014, 10:17:13 PM

I doubt it as well, but INDOT could shed some useless US highways (like US 421, US 35, and US 136) and then do what they have been doing with some state roads. US 31 thru Columbus could go if US 31 followed I-65 there. Similarly, US 6 could avoid Portage by following SR 49 t to I-94. Roads like US 30 in Dyer leave few options being at a state line.

US highways are harder to reroute, I thought they had to be approved by AASHTO or some other agency, is that true?

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 27, 2014, 12:04:24 AM

I never said anything of the sort.  I only mentioned that US 41 is more scenic than SR 63. 

Avalanchez71

Well US 40 runs along I-70 for a good piece in KS and MO.

ysuindy

Another Tweet from INDOT with a picture

https://twitter.com/INDOTNorthwest/status/496334845149069312

New US 31 btwn SB & Plymouth is closer than ever to opening! Traffic expected on whole stretch by end of this month.

EDIT - add my question and their response

@ysuindy  @INDOTNorthwest Great news. Full traffic on all 4 lanes this month or will there still be some work to do?

INDOT Northwest ‏@INDOTNorthwest @ysuindy There will be lane restrictions on the north & south ends thru the end of the year. But traffic will be travelling the full length.

adventurernumber1

I think an I-67 would be very nice. And this might belong in the fictional highways forum but I-67 has been discussed in this thread so I thought I would give a scenario for a future I-67 corridor. I-67 follows US 31 from Indianapolis to South Bend, then it turns sharp east and follows US 20 briefly, then it turns sharp north and follows US 131 into Michigan passing through Portage & Kalamazoo and at least getting to Grand Rapids, then MAYBE continue even more northward and having its northern terminus just a little southeast of Traverse City. What do you guys think?
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on August 07, 2014, 12:34:48 AM
I think an I-67 would be very nice. And this might belong in the fictional highways forum but I-67 has been discussed in this thread so I thought I would give a scenario for a future I-67 corridor. I-67 follows US 31 from Indianapolis to South Bend, then it turns sharp east and follows US 20 briefly, then it turns sharp north and follows US 131 into Michigan passing through Portage & Kalamazoo and at least getting to Grand Rapids, then MAYBE continue even more northward and having its northern terminus just a little southeast of Traverse City. What do you guys think?

There are still two stretches of US 31 in Indiana that will not be to insterstate standard: from Westfield north to the south side of Kokomo, and from the north side of Kokomo to Plymouth.  As neat as the idea of an I-67 would be, six-laning I-65 and I-70 would go much farther to improve safety and travel times than would finishing off the rural sections of US 31.  I would hate to see money go to converting the rest of US 31 before more important projects are finished just to get an interstate.

Oh, and good luck at getting Michigan to ever finish the connection of US 31 to I-94 just east of St. Joseph.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

seicer

For Kentucky to even consider it is a long shot. Just to upgrade the Owensboro bypass, the brand-new section of US 60 east of the city and the Ohio River approach would cost at a minimum $177 million. That's just to do interchange improvements, some new overpasses and to close off some side roads and entrances.

silverback1065

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on August 07, 2014, 12:34:48 AM

I'd rather it follow 31 that whole way up to traverse city

theline

Getting back to the subject for a moment: I drove past the north end of the project yesterday, and I saw that the asphalt base has been laid for the west carriageway. I presume that means they are close to pouring concrete there. Once the concrete is ready there and on the east carriageway at the south end of the project, INDOT should be able to shift traffic (with some lane restrictions) to the new road. They look to be close to their end-of-August goal.

Back to unrelated nonsense, I also drove about 50 miles on the Indiana Toll Road, and I was pleased to find that the concessionaire has repaved the patches that were in need. It was a much-improved ride over what I've come to expect since they took over from the commission. It was a surprise, considering the financial difficulties for the concessionaire.

silverback1065

Quote from: theline on August 11, 2014, 06:44:25 PM
Getting back to the subject for a moment: I drove past the north end of the project yesterday, and I saw that the asphalt base has been laid for the west carriageway. I presume that means they are close to pouring concrete there. Once the concrete is ready there and on the east carriageway at the south end of the project, INDOT should be able to shift traffic (with some lane restrictions) to the new road. They look to be close to their end-of-August goal.

Back to unrelated nonsense, I also drove about 50 miles on the Indiana Toll Road, and I was pleased to find that the concessionaire has repaved the patches that were in need. It was a much-improved ride over what I've come to expect since they took over from the commission. It was a surprise, considering the financial difficulties for the concessionaire.

i heard that they were going bankrupt, is that not true anymore?

NWI_Irish96

https://twitter.com/cindywardwsbt/status/501369938649825280

Quote#BREAKING The new U.S. 31 between South Bend and Plymouth will open this Thursday.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ysuindy

I will be checking it out Sunday as I deliver the son to Notre Dame:

South Bend Tribune article

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/local/new-u-s-opens-thursday/article_010db251-2fff-532c-940e-343c09af7745.html

SOUTH BEND – The new pathway of U.S. 31 from South Bend to Plymouth will open to traffic on Thursday, according to the Indiana Department of Transportation.

The new 20 miles of roadway between South Bend and Plymouth will still have restrictions near both cities for the rest of the year, as construction continues, according to a release. Three interchanges, including those at Kern Road, Indiana 4 and U.S. 6, will also open Thursday.

For South Bend drivers, the new U.S. 31 begins just south of the Jackson Road bridge. Once the new road opens, drivers will not be able to access the old U.S. 31 from this location. If necessary, drivers can use the Kern Road interchange to access the old U.S. 31 and nearby neighborhoods, according to the release.

A fourth interchange, located at 7th Road in Plymouth, is under construction and will open by the end of 2014, according to the release.

In November of last year, the first new stretch of the U.S. 31 realignment project opened around Kokomo. Next year, the portion just north of Indianapolis will open, according to the release. The project will ultimately remove 32 traffic signals about about 30 minutes of driving time between South Bend and Indianapolis, according to INDOT.

ysuindy

And an updated press release from INDOT on the project home page

http://www.us31plysb.com/128

theline

A ribbon-cutting is planned for 2:30 PM on Wednesday, next week: http://www.us31plysb.com/

QuoteSave the date!

New US 31 ribbon cutting set for Wednesday, Aug. 27

You are invited to join Governor Mike Pence, U.S. Representative Jackie Walorski and other dignitaries at 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 27, as they officially cut the ribbon on the New US 31 Plymouth to South Bend freeway.

Edit to clarify the date of the ribbon cutting.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.