News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US-41 Interstate Conversion

Started by ssummers72, February 10, 2009, 09:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 28, 2014, 01:45:33 PM
Well not to mention that US-41 doesn't "END" there. 
Probably the reason they put up that END US 41 sign is to accommodate the continuation of I-41 down I-94 into IL; of course, this is the part I don't agree with, because why not just keep US 41 there?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Big John

^^ I believe there would be too much confusion amongst the public if there were 2 separate roadways with the 41 designation in the same city.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Henry on August 29, 2014, 01:43:05 PM
Probably the reason they put up that END US 41 sign is to accommodate the continuation of I-41 down I-94 into IL; of course, this is the part I don't agree with, because why not just keep US 41 there?

US-41 should have been moved off the surface streets of Milwaukee years ago.

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 23, 2014, 12:58:33 PM
Quote from: billtm on May 22, 2014, 08:25:43 PM
Quote from: Brandon on May 22, 2014, 04:29:52 PM
Quote from: billtm on May 22, 2014, 04:19:15 PM
Will Interstate 894 be decommissioned? :confused:

On another note, it seems like it would make much more sense grid wise that I-41 follow current I-43 from Milwaukee to Green Bay, while I-43 follow future I-41 from Milwaukee to Green Bay. In that case, I-894 definitely wouldn't be decommissioned.

WTF!?!  Grid-wise, I-41 should be west of I-43, and that is the plan as far as I have seen for Milwaukee to Green Bay.

As for decommissioning I-894, since the original reason for I-894 was a bypass of downtown Milwaukee (I-94), I suspect it will stay.
Sorry! I didn't know what I was thinking! :banghead: I drank way too much coffee. :wow: Also, its finals week...

If it makes you feel better, they will actually be "violating" the grid south of Milwaukee.     :D

I wondered if I-894 will disappear soon as well. I have next Friday off, I think I might drive over to Green Bay and check out the new US 41/I-41/WI 29 interchange and then clinch I-43, I-794, and I-894 before I-894 is gone! .....
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

Big John

^^ I-894 will remain even when it will be totally concurrent with I-41

merrycilantro

...because with Wisconsin's Love of Concurrencies, it's to be expected! Hence the strip from the Hale Interchange to the Mitchell Interchange where you will be going North I-43, South I-41, and East I-894! LOVE IT! There's also a strip of 10 around Waupaca that has 4 different designations a'la Madison Beltline. But you guys already knew that :)

WisDOT - Follow the Yellow Brick Road...

Post Merge: September 03, 2014, 12:12:46 AM

...WisDOT - All Roads Lead to Milwaukee...

WisDOT - Don't worry about the DIRECTION, just worry about the NUMBER!!

I could go on...but if i did i'd be afraid i'd get kicked off of here...

FightingIrish

We may get an update on the status of I-41 next week.

merrycilantro

FightingIrish, Sweet! What do we look for?

FightingIrish

A DOT flack responded to a question on one of the DOT's Facebook pages:

"... there are a few legal/legislative steps that are being worked on. I'll get an update next week and let you know the status. In the meantime go here for some FAQs:http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/projects/neregion/41/faq.htm "

-- made the url linkable --sso

SSOWorld

As part of an effort to mark alternate routes around the Zoo Interchange, seems WisDOT is getting ahead of itself - almost.  Going south, they've marked Capitol Drive and I-43 through downtown Milwaukee as ALT I-94.  Going north, they've marked it ALT US-41/US-45...

and an ALT I-(covered up).  Only one guess will be needed to figure it out - It starts with a 4.  Pics later :-D
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 29, 2014, 02:25:50 PM
Quote from: Henry on August 29, 2014, 01:43:05 PM

US-41 should have been moved off the surface streets of Milwaukee years ago.

US 41 is on the current routing that it is due to the once proposed freeway systems that US 41 was to follow. The Miller Park Way freeway was to extend southward to I-894 - the stub ramps still exist to this day used as access to a park and ride. to the north, the US 41 freeway was to extend northward to meet the completed 145 freeway along Fon du lac Ave to connect to I-43 where the Park freeway used to be and then the Park freeway itself was to extend further to the east and then turn south to I-794. All of those were cancelled and the part of the Park freeway that was actually built was torn down a few years ago in favor of Mc Kinley Blvd and a reconstructed freeway to freeway junction with I-43 to now a standard diamond interchange with WIS 145/McKinley.

Once they cancelled these freeways, it seems that it would have been a wise decision to reroute US 41 along I-894 as well simply due to the importance of US 41 north of Milwaukee
Chris Kalina

FightingIrish

A new covered-up I-41 sign spotted on Watertown Plank Rd WB before US 45, in the middle of all that reconstruction mess.

GeekJedi

Geez.  They just need to pull the trigger on this.  There's a boatload of covered up signs all over Milwaukee.  It's pretty stupid.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

FightingIrish

Quote from: GeekJedi on September 27, 2014, 08:24:33 PM
Geez.  They just need to pull the trigger on this.  There's a boatload of covered up signs all over Milwaukee.  It's pretty stupid.

The official word is that they're still waiting for the Senate to waive the weight limits for trucks. As soon as that happens, I-41 is a go. But the waiver is the only sticking point. Time to remind Senator Baldwin to nudge those geezers into calling a vote. I would say Senator Johnson, but he doesn't do anything that doesn't serve to inflate his own ego.

mgk920

Quote from: FightingIrish on September 27, 2014, 09:19:19 PM
Quote from: GeekJedi on September 27, 2014, 08:24:33 PM

The official word is that they're still waiting for the Senate to waive the weight limits for trucks. As soon as that happens, I-41 is a go. But the waiver is the only sticking point. Time to remind Senator Baldwin to nudge those geezers into calling a vote. I would say Senator Johnson, but he doesn't do anything that doesn't serve to inflate his own ego.

OTOH, Baldwin is from Madison, where they already have plenty of I-routes, whereas Johnson is from Oshkosh, a city whose corporate limits US(I)-41 passes through.

:nod:

Mike

amroad17

Appropriate that we are on page 41 of this topic.

Wisconsin really needs to get the ball rolling on the conversion.  This upgrade has seemed to take as long as the NY 17 upgrades (50 years!).
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

SEWIGuy

Wisconsin is ready and even has some signage in the field.  The issue is granting the exemption for heavy trucks, which literally takes an act of Congress.

SSOWorld

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 29, 2014, 01:38:46 PM
Wisconsin is ready and even has some signage in the field.  The issue is granting the exemption for heavy trucks, which literally takes an act of Congress.
What Congress? :P
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

Brandon

Quote from: SSOWorld on September 29, 2014, 08:29:20 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 29, 2014, 01:38:46 PM
What Congress? :P

To quote John Adams from 1776:

QuoteI have come to the conclusion that one useless man is a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress!
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SSOWorld

and 20,000 lawyers at the bottom of the sea is "a good start". ;)
Scott O.

Raise your what?

JCinSummerfield

Maybe they're re-hashing the idea of calling it I-57 again...

merrycilantro

^^LOL!!! Probably have to bind and gag some IDOT members for that to happen... :P

Joe The Dragon

as well as the tollway But the new ramps will fit nice into that plan.

Idot get's to take some of I-57 off there books and only have to deal with that small part from WI to tollway that the tollway takes care of anyways.

FightingIrish

Quote from: JCinSummerfield on September 30, 2014, 02:05:27 PM
Maybe they're re-hashing the idea of calling it I-57 again...

I thought it was I-55 that Wisconsin interests were lobbying for.

I94RoadRunner

I-55 was the original number that was asked for by Wisconsin.
Chris Kalina

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.