Rest Areas off Exits (I-17 Exit 252)

Started by HighwayMaster, July 30, 2011, 08:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy Volvo Guy

PA welcome center on I-84 at the NY border.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

vtk

Not quite the same thing as the original post, but there's that rest area on EB I-84 near Danbury, CT.  You exit the freeway, then choose whether you want to exit to surface roads or go to the rest area.  Then, on leaving the rest area, you can only go back to the freeway.  I found this rather aggravating as there was a considerable traffic jam on I-84 that evening.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Mapmikey

North Carolina also has:

US 29 SB Welcome Center is actually on NC 700, 1st exit heading south.
US 17 NB Welcome center is actually on NC 130 in Shalotte

Mapmikey

Kacie Jane

Quote from: vtk on September 05, 2011, 05:13:08 PM
Not quite the same thing as the original post, but there's that rest area on EB I-84 near Danbury, CT.  You exit the freeway, then choose whether you want to exit to surface roads or go to the rest area.  Then, on leaving the rest area, you can only go back to the freeway.  I found this rather aggravating as there was a considerable traffic jam on I-84 that evening.

There's a rest area in/near Vancouver, WA on I-5 NB with the same setup.

IIRC, there used to be a service area on the New Jersey Turnpike northbound at Exit 13A with the same setup as well, but it was eliminated when they built the IKEA and/or outlet malls there a decade or two ago.

golden eagle

If you want to count welcome centers, you must exit I-20 to get to the Mississippi welcome center at Vicksburg.

D-Dey65

Sounds like I-95 at  Exit 1 and the Northbound Georgia Welcome Center.

Mike_OH

There's one in Kentucky off I-75 in Berea.  It's the only rest area on I-75 between Lexington and the Tennessee line.

jwolfer

Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 05, 2011, 10:01:23 PM
Not quite the same thing as the original post, but there's that rest area on EB I-84 near Danbury, CT.  You exit the freeway, then choose whether you want to exit to surface roads or go to the rest area.  Then, on leaving the rest area, you can only go back to the freeway.  I found this rather aggravating as there was a considerable traffic jam on I-84 that evening.
Sounds like I-

95 at  Exit 1 and the Northbound Georgia Welcome Center.

This one used to have you leave the rest area and go back onto the exit ramp.  go thru the stop sign at st marys road and then use the entrance ramp back to I95

Fixed quote tag

D-Dey65

Quote from: jwolfer on September 09, 2011, 11:43:30 AM
This one used to have you leave the rest area and go back onto the exit ramp.  go thru the stop sign at st marys road and then use the entrance ramp back to I95
I thought I saw evidence of a former ramp there. Anyway, I took an aerial shot of the Danbury Welcome Center on I-84 and it looks pretty cool. This is what I get for not having been to New England in nearly 30 years.

shadyjay

ME: 
In addition to the two previously mentioned (I-295 in Yarmouth and the Maine Turnpike & I-295 in Gardiner), there is a Rest Area/Tourist Info Center off I-95 at Exit 302 in Houlton, about 3 or so miles from the US/Canadian border.   Also of note, the NB I-95 welcome center in Kittery has access from both I-95 and US 1, and you can exit the facility and get to US 1, and vice versa.

NH:
On I-93 in Littleton, the Rest Area/Info Center is off Exit 44 and is also a Scenic Vista.
There are also several info centers just off various exits further south on I-93.  RMcN identifies them as "rest areas" even though they're more regional info centers.

VT:
There's a Welcome Center off I-91 Exit 11 NB/12 SB in downtown White River Jct at the railroad station.  This is also advertised from I-89 NB (from NH).   Though I am not sure if this facility is still open - as of last week, the signs were covered up ("blue-out").
There seems to be more of a push in VT as of late to establish welcome centers off the highway, since in 2010 several more rest areas along I-89 and I-91 were closed.
That's all well and good if you're looking for info, but if you need to use the restroom or stop for a second without having to get off the highway, it's a downfall.

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: vtk on September 05, 2011, 05:13:08 PMNot quite the same thing as the original post, but there's that rest area on EB I-84 near Danbury, CT.  You exit the freeway, then choose whether you want to exit to surface roads or go to the rest area.  Then, on leaving the rest area, you can only go back to the freeway.  I found this rather aggravating as there was a considerable traffic jam on I-84 that evening.

HAHAHA, typical.  Been there many times.  Both through that area on I-84 and that rest area.  I'm no stranger to any of the above, that part of 84 stops if someone breathes wrong.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

Alex

Another one for the list exists off of Interstate 82 at Exit 80 in Prosser, Washington.

newyorker478

In Connecticut the ramp for Exit 22 [Round Hill Road] is also the exit ramp to access the rest area.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.