News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What is the worst movie you have paid to see in the theatres?

Started by SteveG1988, November 04, 2011, 11:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sanctimoniously

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on March 20, 2012, 12:11:32 PM
Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on November 05, 2011, 08:01:21 AM
Battlefield Earth, no contest!!!!  I had read the book more than once and anxiously awaited the movie adoption.  But it was the worst movie adoption I had ever seen.  It has to be one of the worst movies of all time.
Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on March 20, 2012, 12:10:53 PM
Battlefield Earth............hands down, worst movie I have ever paid to see!!  And yet the book that awful movie was based on is one of my all-time favorites.

what

I don't see any contradiction.  book good, movie bad, rinse, repeat.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

PAHighways

The Blair Witch Project

SPOILER ALERT:  People get lost and wander around in the woods for an hour and 21 minutes.

Stephane Dumas

Police Academy 7: Mission to Moscow. I didn't saw it in theaters but I rent it at the videoclub. They menaged to do worst then Police Academy 6.

berberry

I'm having to really reach back here to remember one, because as I've aged I've become much more picky about what movies I go see.  Honestly, the first thing that pops to mind is something called Bigfoot, from back when I was about 10 (and judging from the year of its release it must have been on a second or third run by 1970, when I was 10).  Even at that age I could tell the picture was bullshit.  My dad had suggested it as he seemed to be interested in the ridiculous topic, some half-man half-ape creature that the people who bought the rolls of film and took the pictures claimed had scared them nearly to death while they were on holiday.

I'm sure I didn't fully understand just how ridiculous such supposed "real-life" monsters were at age 10, but I do remember for certain that I hated this movie.  I think it might have been because I had not long before seen the classic 'King Kong', and there was no way some drivel like this could have compared, even to a young kid.

berberry

Quote from: PAHighways on March 20, 2012, 01:38:45 PM
The Blair Witch Project

SPOILER ALERT:  People get lost and wander around in the woods for an hour and 21 minutes.

Oh no, that can't be the worst!  Bad, but not the worst, surely!  It did have its moments.

I especially liked the "soundtrack":  since the picture had no music, iirc, this was merely a sampling of songs on themes ranging from the ethereal to the existential. I don't think I could name a single one of them for you, but the idea was different.

If you look at BWP more as a metaphor for the whole movie industry at that time, it kinda works.  In a way.  Sorta.

Stephane Dumas

At least that movie didn't hit theatres, it was a tv-movie. The lind of movie you find it good first or "ain't that bad but could be better" and 20 years later, you wonder what the *censored* and how did you liked that movie.

jwolfer

"The Allnighter" with Susannah Hoffs from the Bangles.  I had a crush on her when I was in High School

Coelacanth

I don't see a ton of movies, and I rarely pay to see one that I am expecting to be bad.

My friends convinced me to go see Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me with them. Definitely the worst movie I paid to see. Probably the worst movie I've ever seen (including TV movies). Quite possibly the worst movie ever made.

bugo

The only movies that I go to see in the theater are Sasha Baron Cohen movies.  The last 2 movies I saw in the theater were Borat and Brüno.  I plan on seeing The Dictator in the theater when it comes out, but I have no plans to see any more movies.  Sasha Baron Cohen is the funniest man alive.

Post Merge: March 20, 2012, 07:07:53 PM

Quote from: SteveG1988 on November 04, 2011, 11:38:13 PM
For me, it would be the Nightmare On Elmstreet Remake, the only movie i felt like walking out on but couldn't due to being the ride for a friend.

You went to a Nightmare on Elm Street movie and you didn't expect it to be awful?  A remake is even worse. 

Post Merge: December 31, 1969, 06:59:59 PM

Quote from: tchafe1978 on November 04, 2011, 11:52:17 PM
For me, it would have to be Best in Show. It was about people who enter their dog in the biggest dog show in the country. Completely, totally, a waste of time and money. My wife wanted to see it, so I blame her for having to see it. I don't know how we made it through the whole thing. It was probably just so we could finish our popcorn.

Best in Show was pretty funny. 

Quote from: Steve on November 05, 2011, 10:10:53 PM
Phantom Menace, without a doubt. But I went with about 75 people, many of whom were in costume and had boffer "lightsaber" fights in the front before the movie started. So it was more about the experience anyway.

Oh Jesus.  I can't stand Star Wars nerds.  They're nearly as bad as Trekkies.  If you think the road community is geeky, then go to a Star Wars convention.

Quote from: formulanone on November 06, 2011, 12:37:23 AM
I go to about two movies a year, nowadays. I don't work up much desire to waste three hours for a plot I've seen many times before, and my brain has a hard time accepting too much absurdity presented as fact, rather than comedy. I tend towards the (Western) animated stuff, lately.

I don't watch many cartoon movies, but there are several excellent TV show cartoons.  South Park, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Family Guy, Beavis and Butthead, the Simpsons, American Dad, etc.  The golden age of animation is now.

agentsteel53

I've always thought of American Dad as "weird, overly heavy right wing version of Family Guy".  I know it's supposed to be a parody of the far right, but given what actual reality is presenting these days, I can barely tell the difference.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

bugo

Quote from: jwolfer on March 20, 2012, 05:12:59 PM
"The Allnighter" with Susannah Hoffs from the Bangles.  I had a crush on her when I was in High School

I saw a picture of them the other day, and they still look good.  I was surprised.  They have to be in their 40s now.

bugo

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 20, 2012, 06:40:03 PM
I've always thought of American Dad as "weird, overly heavy right wing version of Family Guy".  I know it's supposed to be a parody of the far right, but given what actual reality is presenting these days, I can barely tell the difference.

Don't watch The Colbert Report then.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 20, 2012, 06:40:03 PM
I've always thought of American Dad as "weird, overly heavy right wing version of Family Guy".  I know it's supposed to be a parody of the far right, but given what actual reality is presenting these days, I can barely tell the difference.

In recent years, they've gotten away from the political component of American Dad.  You can't stay on the air for 7 seasons if you keep beating the same horse.  I find it to be the best written show of the 3 MacFarlane has, in general.

A movie that's been on TV a LOT recently is "2012".  And that is about the most terrible piece of shit you can find, when it comes to plot and characters.  John Cusak is constantly almost getting swallowed by the Earth.  Toward the end, they get on this giant ship (or "ark" if you will) but we can't start the engine unless we close the door?  Really?  Are you kidding me?  Are we that desperate to see another unbelievable stunt at this point?  Watching it on mute improves this movie greatly since there's no terrible dialogue and canyon-sized plot holes to distract you from the gorgeous special effects.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kphoger

I don't think I can say I've been to a terrible movie at the theater.  That's because I make darned sure it's a movie I'm going to like before I even go to the theater.  I really haven't been more than five times in the last four years, I'd say.  We get our movies at the store or NetFlix.

Oh, wait..... When I was a kid, say about fifth or sixth grade, there was a time when my friend and I would go to the theater every week no matter what the movie was.  This was a small town where everyone knew everyone so, if it was rated R, we just had to call our parents and let them give the ticketmaster permission.  Anyway, one of those definitely counts as the worst movie I've paid to see in the theater:  The Land Before Time.  I'm not sure which one it was, since the original was put out before I lived in that town, and the others were direct-to-video.....hmmmm....but, yeah, that was a waste.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Ooh!  Funny story!  I don't think this one counts for the purpose of the thread, since I was actually refunded the ticket price.  This was back in the small town I grew up in as well.  The theater got movies third-hand, after larger towns were done with them, often months after the actual release date.  So I went to see 'Titanic' in the theater the first day it was showing in my town.  Little did the theater know, they were only shipped two out of three reels.  So the boat is starting to sink, but hasn't gone down yet, and..........  The end.  Yeah, when I saw 'Titanic' in the theater, nobody died.  :clap:
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

texaskdog

Quote from: PAHighways on March 20, 2012, 01:38:45 PM
The Blair Witch Project

SPOILER ALERT:  People get lost and wander around in the woods for an hour and 21 minutes.

Oh yeah, that was awful.  I just wanted all the people to shut up!

texaskdog

Quote from: jwolfer on March 20, 2012, 05:12:59 PM
"The Allnighter" with Susannah Hoffs from the Bangles.  I had a crush on her when I was in High School

Glad I'm not the only one who hated that movie.  And "Light of Day" with Joan Jett & Michael J Fox, from around then, too.

texaskdog

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

texaskdog

kphoger

Quote from: texaskdog on March 22, 2012, 10:18:45 AM
Quote from: NE2 on March 21, 2012, 03:34:04 PM
How bout an overrated [movie thread]?

How about a thread about overrated movies?  :P

We could even start one about movies that are supposed to be really good but, in your opinion, aren't worth all the hoopla.  Just an idea.
Male pronouns, please.

texaskdog

Quote from: kphoger on March 22, 2012, 01:58:36 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on March 22, 2012, 10:18:45 AM
Quote from: NE2 on March 21, 2012, 03:34:04 PM
How bout an overrated [movie thread]?

How about a thread about overrated movies?  :P

We could even start one about movies that are supposed to be really good but, in your opinion, aren't worth all the hoopla.  Just an idea.

Sounds like a plan.  We better get a committee right on that.  Then we'll have to worst actors & actresses too.

Alps

Quote from: kphoger on March 22, 2012, 01:58:36 PM

All of them.

stormwatch7721

Mean Girls was the worst movie I've ever paid. Walked out at the very beginning too.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.