News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

This is true? - Geographic oddities that defy conventional wisdom

Started by The Nature Boy, November 28, 2015, 10:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: The Nature Boy on December 03, 2015, 07:56:03 AM
I'll grant you that that part of New Jersey is as close to wilderness as you can get along the I-95 corridor. There are some pretty undeveloped places in NH, VT, ME and eastern Upstate New York though and those places are still on the "east coast."

I respectfully disagree.

The most-desolate parts of the I-95 corridor are in South Carolina (between I-26 (Exit 86) and I-20 at Florence (Exit 160)), and in Maine (between Maine 43 at Old Town (Exit 197) and U.S. 1 at Houlton (Exit 302)).

I-95 between Old Town and Houlton was originally constructed as a Super-2 (with plenty of signs and pavement markings warning drivers to keep right and reminding them that they were on a two lane undivided highway, but I understand that there were plenty of head-on crashes anyway).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

national highway 1

Broken Hill, New South Wales is closer to Adelaide, South Australia (517km/321mi) than it is to Sydney, its state's capital (1159km/720mi). Because Broken Hill's first direct rail link was only to Adelaide, it adopted Central Standard Time (UTC+9:30) like neighbouring South Australia, unlike the rest of New South Wales which uses Eastern Standard Time (UTC+10:00).
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

wolfiefrick

Chinese time zones confuzzle me. There's still only one time zone in China and it's based upon the time in Beijing. The people in western China see the sun rise around 10 am and it sets at 10 pm.

CNGL-Leudimin

Same to me. In Kashgar (Western Xinjiang, in the far West of China) on Winter solstice the sun doesn't rise until 10 am. That in theory, in reality Xinjiang has adopted its unofficial time two hours behind Beijing, so the sun rises at 8 am (and sets at 6 pm instead of 8 pm).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

roadman65

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 16, 2016, 03:51:14 PM
I'll grant you that that part of New Jersey is as close to wilderness as you can get along the I-95 corridor. There are some pretty undeveloped places in NH, VT, ME and eastern Upstate New York though and those places are still on the "east coast."

I respectfully disagree.

The most-desolate parts of the I-95 corridor are in South Carolina (between I-26 (Exit 86) and I-20 at Florence (Exit 160)), and in Maine (between Maine 43 at Old Town (Exit 197) and U.S. 1 at Houlton (Exit 302)).

I-95 between Old Town and Houlton was originally constructed as a Super-2 (with plenty of signs and pavement markings warning drivers to keep right and reminding them that they were on a two lane undivided highway, but I understand that there were plenty of head-on crashes anyway).
Actually desolate does not begin until after Ridgeland, SC and all the way to just outside of Jacksonville, FL. 

I-95 in rural Jasper County, SC, all of Georgia, and Nassau and part of Duval County in Florida is the most desolate drive of I-95 south of Kittery, ME.   North of Kittery, I cannot say as I never been on it except a small piece near Bangor, and I cannot remember what it looked like as I was fairly young.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

empirestate

Quote from: roadman65 on January 21, 2016, 09:19:57 PM

I respectfully disagree.

Actually desolate does not begin until after Ridgeland, SC and all the way to just outside of Jacksonville, FL. 

I-95 in rural Jasper County, SC, all of Georgia, and Nassau and part of Duval County in Florida is the most desolate drive of I-95 south of Kittery, ME.   North of Kittery, I cannot say as I never been on it except a small piece near Bangor, and I cannot remember what it looked like as I was fairly young.

There's a difference between being desolate and being close to wilderness. I've also heard that the NJ pine barrens are the least-developed part of the Northeast Corridor (which, also, is not the same as the East Coast). The question then becomes whether the desolate sections in the Carolinas and northern Maine are also close to undisturbed wilderness, or are they previously clear-cut stands of second-growth forest, very much the result of human intervention?

iPhone

D-Dey65

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on December 19, 2015, 09:17:50 PM
Same with NY state.  NY City is closer to Portland, ME, Montreal (by 1 mile), and Richmond, VA than Buffalo, and that's cutting through PA too.
Funny you should mention Richmond vs. Buffalo. Back in November 2014 when that blizzard hit Buffalo (Knife), I overheard my aunt talking to my uncle and she was worried that I was going to drive through Buffalo on the way home.

This woman has no sense of direction, and she knows it.

Max Rockatansky

By car it's about 832 miles from Pensacola, FL to Key West, FL which is slightly longer than the 820 miles it would take you to get to Columbus, OH.  That 832 miles isn't far off from the 878 miles it takes to cross I-10 through the entirety of Texas....odd indeed when you consider Florida doesn't seem that big and how much back tracking you really do.

NE2

OH MY GOD LOS ANGELES IS CLOSER TO TIJUANA THAN IT IS TO NEW YORK CITY HOW FUCKING WEIRD
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

CobaltYoshi27

San Diego, California, is directly due west of Dallas and Fort Worth, Texas.
I's traveled:
10(TX) 20(TX) 24(TN) 30(TX) 35(TX) 40(TN) 45(TX) 64(KY-VA) 65(TN-KY) 66(VA-DC) 68(WV-MD) 69(TX) 70(IN-MD) 71(OH) 75(TN-MI) 76(OH-NJ) 77(VA-OH) 78(PA-NJ) 79(WV-PA) 80(OH-NJ) 81(TN-NY) 83(MD-PA) 84(NY-MA) 86(PA-NY) 87(NY) 88(NY) 89(NH-VT) 90(OH-MA) 91(CT-VT) 93(MA-NH) 95(NC-MA) 99(PA)

kalvado

Not exactly US road, although a lot of US bound traffic:
Atlantic end of Panama canal is actually to the west from Pacific end.

CNGL-Leudimin

Russia reaches so far East, its Easternmost lands are actually among the Westernmost on Earth (as seen from Greenwich).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

thenetwork

There is a section of Northern Nevada as well as a part of Wyoming NORTH of Cheyenne that is considered by the Nielsen Ratings to be a part of the Denver, CO TV Market.

paulthemapguy

Lake Tahoe's longitude is west of that of Los Angeles.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

jwolfer

Quote from: roadman65 on January 21, 2016, 09:19:57 PM

I respectfully disagree.

That part of 95 skirts Western Savannah suburbs and Brunswick.. There are lots of gas stations at different exits.  It is relatively desolate but all 6 lanes

The area in SC has long distance between exits and not many services. All 4 lanes too

wxfree

Quote from: kalvado on May 15, 2016, 01:32:35 PM
Not exactly US road, although a lot of US bound traffic:
Atlantic end of Panama canal is actually to the west from Pacific end.

And the water on the Pacific side is higher.  Even though the two sides aren't far apart, the connection by water is thousands of miles long, so it isn't unusual that the water is unlevel over that distance.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

jp the roadgeek

It's actually closer and shorter timewise for me to drive from central CT to Philly than to Montauk, Long Island, despite Montauk being only 65 miles away.

Florida and Oregon are the only two coastal states whose farthest reaches from the (ocean) coast extend into another time zone.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

empirestate

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on May 17, 2016, 01:11:04 AM
Florida and Oregon are the only two coastal states whose farthest reaches from the (ocean) coast extend into another time zone.

And as a result, for an hour each year, a Floridian and an Oregonian can correctly observe the same local time as each other.

US 81

Quote from: empirestate on May 17, 2016, 07:17:52 AM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on May 17, 2016, 01:11:04 AM

And as a result, for an hour each year, a Floridian and an Oregonian can correctly observe the same local time as each other.

Wait, isn't Texas another one? Alaska?

ftballfan

Quote from: hbelkins on December 03, 2015, 11:04:38 PM
Quote from: jbnati27 on December 03, 2015, 10:27:05 AM
Bristol VA is closer to several other other state capitals (Charleston WV, Nashville TN, Raleigh NC, Atlanta GA, Frankfort KY, Columbia SC) than it is its own capital of Richmond.

Have also heard this said about the three West Virginia eastern panhandle counties. Closer to Harrisburg, Trenton, Annapolis, Richmond and possibly Dover than to Charleston.
Bristol VA is also closer to Columbus, OH than Richmond, VA

ftballfan

Quote from: thenetwork on May 15, 2016, 09:50:37 PM
There is a section of Northern Nevada as well as a part of Wyoming NORTH of Cheyenne that is considered by the Nielsen Ratings to be a part of the Denver, CO TV Market.

Partly because Denver's always had a full set of network affiliates while the two Wyoming markets (Casper and Cheyenne) were usually short at least one network historically. Also, Sheridan, WY is in the Rapid City, SD TV market despite being closer to Casper, WY and Billings, MT

paulthemapguy

Here's something odd, though it's kind of a human construct.  I don't know who decided this, but the Upper Peninsula of Michigan is completely in the eastern time zone except for the counties that border Wisconsin.  I don't know why they didn't put the boundary along the state line, but they put it one county into Michigan instead.  For that reason, as I took a trip to the Porcupine Mountains last July, my buddy and I sat outside and watched the sunset over Lake Superior after reaching our hotel--just after 10pm.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Chris

I visited Tarifa, Spain last year (by car from the Netherlands). It is the southernmost point of mainland Spain. Besides the fact that many people think Gibraltar is the southernmost point, it's actually farther south than Algiers and Tunis. It's also at the same latitude as northern Iraq and northern Pakistan.

english si

Quote from: Chris on May 18, 2016, 04:05:56 AMIt's also at the same latitude as northern Iraq and northern Pakistan.
And the VA/NC border, or thereabouts.

mhh

Quote from: paulthemapguy on May 17, 2016, 11:33:57 PM
Here's something odd, though it's kind of a human construct.  I don't know who decided this, but the Upper Peninsula of Michigan is completely in the eastern time zone except for the counties that border Wisconsin.  I don't know why they didn't put the boundary along the state line, but they put it one county into Michigan instead.  For that reason, as I took a trip to the Porcupine Mountains last July, my buddy and I sat outside and watched the sunset over Lake Superior after reaching our hotel--just after 10pm.

Those western counties have closer economic ties to Milwaukee and Minneapolis/St. Paul than to Detroit, hence the different time zone.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.