Burger King’s next conquest: Hot dog king

Started by Stephane Dumas, February 23, 2016, 04:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Cats and dogs living together.  Mass hysteria!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

spooky

I'm old enough to remember that Burger King sold hot dogs in the '70s.

jeffandnicole

I prefer mine from 7-11.

Actually, honestly, I prefer them from Sams Club.  Large (must be a half pound) Nathans hot dog with 32 oz soda...$1.60-$1.70 including tax.  Best deal anywhere...at least speaking in terms of money.  In terms of health, not so much! :-)

Henry

It really doesn't make sense that a chain that has the word "Burger" in its name is selling hot dogs! Apples and oranges, guys.

And has any other burger chain sold hot dogs on the side? I can think of Hardees/Carl Jr's, but that's just about it.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

briantroutman

Quote from: Henry on February 24, 2016, 10:47:33 AM
And has any other burger chain sold hot dogs on the side? I can think of Hardees/Carl Jr's, but that's just about it.

Five Guys, Checkers/Rally's, Sonic, Steak 'n Shake, A&W, and the "hot eats"  side of Dairy Queen all do, as do some small-time chains like Maid-Rite and Mean Gene's Burgers.

I get the impression that hot dogs were nearly as common as burgers in the fast food landscape of the '50s and early '60s when fast food chains were typically drive-up stands and locally owned or regional operations. But when McDonald's emerged as the national leader of a growing market, Ray Kroc's edict that hot dogs didn't meet the standards of quality he expected of his own company meant that they didn't commonly appear on the menus of the burger chains vying for McDonald's market share in the '70s and '80s.

roadman

I ocassionally eat hot dogs.  However, I can't imagine myself purchasing one from Burger King.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jeffandnicole

It really doesn't make sense that a chain that has the word "Burger" in its name is selling hot dogs! Apples and oranges, guys.

Or chicken nuggets, or salads, or breakfast burritos, or breakfast anything...

Those apples may be the main item, but those oranges are bringing in the customers and driving up the revenue.

english si

Quote from: Henry on February 24, 2016, 10:47:33 AMAnd has any other burger chain sold hot dogs on the side?
Wimpy's most famous sandwich is, despite being a burger joint (and the UK's answer to McDonalds - it was the height of cool in the 60s, but since then the butt of jokes), the Bender in a Bun.

OK, it's not quite a hot dog as the Frankfurter is cut and made into a circle that goes into a burger bun, but...

A decent hot dog needs decent condiments to go with the bland Frankfurter and bun, or it needs to have a sausage that has some flavour. Burger king isn't the kind of place to offer anything more than ketchup, mustard (of the worst kind of American-style that is so mild all you can taste is the vinegar) and onions.

Brandon

Quote from: briantroutman on February 24, 2016, 11:30:03 AM

Five Guys, Checkers/Rally's, Sonic, Steak 'n Shake, A&W, and the "hot eats"  side of Dairy Queen all do, as do some small-time chains like Maid-Rite and Mean Gene's Burgers.

I get the impression that hot dogs were nearly as common as burgers in the fast food landscape of the '50s and early '60s when fast food chains were typically drive-up stands and locally owned or regional operations. But when McDonald's emerged as the national leader of a growing market, Ray Kroc's edict that hot dogs didn't meet the standards of quality he expected of his own company meant that they didn't commonly appear on the menus of the burger chains vying for McDonald's market share in the '70s and '80s.

On the flip side, a lot of hot dog places often have burger as well.  Portillo's comes to mind.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Pete from Boston

The hot dogs I find worth eating (aside from home-cooked) are from places that take some care and pride in their preparation, usually small local places.  The prevalence of these varies regionally, as do their styles–Connecticut and New Jersey are full of destination hot dog places, for example, while Massachusetts is not.  These are where I go for hot dogs.  Burger King is not going to displace that.

roadman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky9SoJJSXeo
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

JoePCool14

Quote from: roadman on February 24, 2016, 06:33:24 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky9SoJJSXeo

Burger King using the Krusty Krab as a business model... Yeah I think we're done here.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Jardine

nexus73

With so many posts on the subject, how about one from someone who has actually EATEN one to let us know how good or bad the BK dog is?

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Jardine on February 24, 2016, 09:15:24 PM
It gets worse;

Oh, that's old news around here.  Never known anyone to eat one (why would you?).

Quote from: nexus73 on February 24, 2016, 10:34:42 PM
With so many posts on the subject, how about one from someone who has actually EATEN one to let us know how good or bad the BK dog is?

Rick

Are they even out yet?

And if you have good local dogs, why would one bother with Burger King?  If I'm going to get one here, for example, I'll want it to be a local Pearl or Kayem (reputable local outfits with proven records) all-beef, natural casing.  Burger King is likely to random frozen centrally distributed product.

KEVIN_224

Their Berlin, CT store had the "Coming 2-23-16" sign, with the "1" in "16" as a vertical hot dog. Actually, they could've sold me it on Saturday, either al a carte or as a value meal. I politely declined it.

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Pete from Boston

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 25, 2016, 10:32:34 PM
I discovered their recipe:

This picture displays under the topic heading on the main page of Tapatalk and it has been cracking me up for days.  They could do no wrong in those early years.

jeffandnicole

BK Hot Dogs weren't a big hit of the posters on this board, but their customers thought otherwise.  In the first week of their debut, one franchisee noted he was selling approximately 80 - 120 hot dogs per day.  In that first week - BK didn't even advertise the hot dogs on TV yet; they simply issued press releases and used social media to get the word out.  Even better for the company, many hot dogs sold were add-ons to what people were already ordering, increasing their overall bill.

http://nrn.com/blog/burger-king-apparently-selling-lot-hot-dogs

Duke87

Most notably, Five Guys.

Several regional chains in Quebec (Lafleur, for example) also sell hot dogs.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

webfil

Quote from: Duke87 on March 07, 2016, 11:36:02 PM

Most notably, Five Guys.

Indeed. Valentine, Lafleur, Ashton, La Belle Province, Harvey's, even A&W serve the good ol' smokie in a rolley. Their secret? The two basic ingredients are cooked and preserved with steam.

They come in multiple variety, depending on the chain
  • "Michigan" hot dog : covered with spaghetti sauce
  • "du Lac" hot dog : euro-style hot-dog, with sauerkraut, mayo and fries (much alike to Cleveland's Polish Boy)
  • "Expo" hot dog : with cheese, roasted bell pepper and onions with fresh tomato
  • "Supreme" or "Whistle" dog : with bacon and cheese

Pete from Boston

Quote from: webfil on March 16, 2016, 10:07:09 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on March 07, 2016, 11:36:02 PM

Most notably, Five Guys.

Indeed. Valentine, Lafleur, Ashton, La Belle Province, Harvey's, even A&W serve the good ol' smokie with a weenie. Their secret? The two basic ingredients are cooked and preserved with steam.

They come in multiple variety, depending on the chain
  • "Michigan" hot dog : covered with spaghetti sauce
  • "du Lac" hot dog : euro-style hot-dog, with sauerkraut, mayo and fries
  • "Expo" hot dog : with cheese, roasted bell pepper and onions with fresh tomato
  • "Supreme" or "Whistle" dog : with bacon and cheese

That rrrrwwrrrrwwwrt! sound just happened, the record stopped playing, and everyone in the room just turned and glared.

Those are worse than *gulp* ketchup. 

english si

Quote from: Pete from Boston on March 16, 2016, 10:14:29 PMThose are worse than *gulp* ketchup.
So just 'mustard'* for you right?

I'll reiterate what I said above that a hot dog is bland and rather textureless (only the skin of the wiener has some resistance) and needs some decent toppings with a range of flavours complementing each other, or a different sausage, to make it respectable as some gastronomic marvel where putting ketchup on it is criminal.

See also hamburgers having pickles (and sometimes lettuce too), ketchup, etc. Only the problem is worse for a hot dog.

*air quotes as American mustard's main flavour is vinegar rather than mustard.

The Nature Boy

I actually hate lettuce and tomato on a burger and put ketchup and mustard on hot dogs.

I'll go sit in the corner.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.