News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Who cares about Zootopia anyway?

Started by authenticroadgeek, March 01, 2016, 09:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 01, 2016, 01:32:26 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on March 01, 2016, 12:26:14 PM

FWIW: I have not seen anything for this movie outside of a single post on this forum (ironically enough).

Same here.

When I saw the tread title, I mistook it for the 1993 U2 album called Zooropa.

Count me as another one who apparently lives under a rock.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Duke87

Quote from: kphoger on April 19, 2016, 12:51:06 PM

Glad I'm not the only one! :-D

An oft-maligned album, but one that I will argue is actually quite underappreciated.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

kphoger

Quote from: Duke87 on April 21, 2016, 08:23:47 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 19, 2016, 12:51:06 PM

Glad I'm not the only one! :-D

An oft-maligned album, but one that I will argue is actually quite underappreciated.

It's actually one of the few U2 albums I hadn't listened to so, in honor of your post, I played it on YouTube during this evening's shave.  (I take my time shaving, building my own lather and doing two passes with a double-edge razor, so I made it through all but the last two songs.)  I must say, I wasn't all that impressed.  It kind of reminded me of REM's later albums (Up, Around the Sun), which I'm not super fond of either.  However, the last song I listened to, "The First Time", was a great one.  I think I liked it, though, because its sound is similar to U2's more typical sound than the others, which means I most liked the song that sounded the least like the rest of Zooropa.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

english si

Quote from: DTComposer on April 19, 2016, 12:43:29 PMHyperbole check: you are absolutely welcome to your opinion, but are you really of the opinion that (to cherry-pick a few) The Jungle Book (1967), Beauty and the Beast (1991, nominated for Best Picture), Aladdin (1992), The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993), The Lion King (1994), The Emperor's New Groove (2000), Frozen (2013), Big Hero 6 (2014) are all not good movies?
There's some bad examples there:

Jungle Book is really bad as a movie (especially now), but somehow manages to hypnotise you into thinking that it's really good and fun - by the songs, I suppose, but there's only two that anyone remembers - then again, that's 10 minutes as they made the songs long to make up for the issue that there's not really any story.

Frozen is just annoying now (#letletitgogo), though I'd agree that it's hard to deny that it isn't good.

Emperor's New Groove just fell into the wayside - it's good, but nothing special, especially compared to contemporary films (Toy Story 2, Shrek and Monsters, Inc. were all released around that time).

The Lion King was amazing in 1994, but post-Pixar it is a little bit meh and if it was released two years later we'd remember it little more than Tarzan or Hercules (ie not much). The soundtrack is what really makes it, hence the successful musical.

Aladdin was rubbish (I was the target audience as a 6 year old boy when it came out, including for the TV show where I was an 8 year old boy) and saved only by Robin Williams - I actually preferred the straight to VHS sequel "Return of Jafar" when it came out because it had more characterisation, less sappiness, less Aladdin without genie and a better plot. My disdain for Aladdin the character knows no bounds.

noelbotevera

Beauty and the Beast was meh. Really the music and animation is memorable, but it wants to be an adult Disney movie (haha!) like Treasure Island, yet it failed at that.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

US 41

And now Star Wars is a Disney movie..........
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

DTComposer

Quote from: english si on April 22, 2016, 06:01:05 AM
Quote from: DTComposer on April 19, 2016, 12:43:29 PMHyperbole check: you are absolutely welcome to your opinion, but are you really of the opinion that (to cherry-pick a few) The Jungle Book (1967), Beauty and the Beast (1991, nominated for Best Picture), Aladdin (1992), The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993), The Lion King (1994), The Emperor's New Groove (2000), Frozen (2013), Big Hero 6 (2014) are all not good movies?
There's some bad examples there:

...and I'm no apologist for any of these - most I've only seen once, and I enjoyed them at the time, although I'm sure if I watched them again, some will seem dated or juvenile or whatever. My point (which you supported in your comments by admitting some of those movies are, in your opinion, good, or even amazing when you first saw them) is that it seems hyperbolic for someone to say they "hated" every movie a studio has released in the past 55 years - it came across to me as someone wanting to hate on Disney because it's hip to bash corporate America.

Quote from: noelbotevera on April 22, 2016, 06:45:07 AM
Beauty and the Beast was meh. Really the music and animation is memorable, but it wants to be an adult Disney movie

??? Explain that. Disney took the original story and, like it did with most of the fairy tales it adapted, actually made it more accessible and appealing to children (adding the enchanted household objects, a stock villain and his dopey sidekick, etc), not adults.

And if the animation and music are memorable to you, but the overall film was meh, I would be interested to hear how that compares to the pre-1961 films that fare better in your opinion. Is the storytelling in, say, Dumbo or Cinderella or Lady and the Tramp that much more compelling to you?

Again, I'm not trying to change your opinion or convince you of anything, I'm simply curious to hear you support your original comment.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.