News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

HILL

Started by talllguy, November 21, 2014, 09:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talllguy

This HILL sign reminds me of a cross between the W8-2 DIP and the W7-6 HILL BLOCKS VIEW signs. Still it is somewhat odd in that it is a warning style sign with a fairly general warning. What do you think?

Hill by Elliott Plack, on Flickr

The Nature Boy

Judging by how steep the hill looks, it's warranted. I could see someone gunning it at the light, not realizing that a giant incline was coming up and then doing some major damage as they roll down it.

jakeroot

I'm reading it as "Charles Street --- HILL". Perhaps not on the signal mast would be better?

Scott5114

Digging the custom font on CHARLES ST.–wonder how old that sign is?

Quote from: jakeroot on November 21, 2014, 11:18:17 PM
I'm reading it as "Charles Street --- HILL". Perhaps not on the signal mast would be better?

The mast is the vertical part–the arm is the horizontal part. Thus why the whole assembly is called a mastarm.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jakeroot

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 22, 2014, 03:42:33 AM

The mast is the vertical part–the arm is the horizontal part. Thus why the whole assembly is called a mastarm.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 22, 2014, 03:42:33 AM

Looks like a C from one font and a HARLES from another. 

SignGeek101

theline

Here's one the could also go in the "best of signs" thread: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6366654,-86.2190077,3a,75y,90h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1schu88E4fOUdfzFl2NuyXOg!2e0?hl=en

The simple message "HILL" is all that's needed when you have the advisory speed placard beneath.

kj3400

I don't think anyone's going to confuse the street sign and the Hill sign, if that's what you're saying.
I think it works better up there, since your eyes already have to look up there to see the signal.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

jakeroot

Quote from: kj3400 on November 24, 2014, 04:34:42 PM

I don't think anyone's going to confuse the street sign and the Hill sign, if that's what you're saying.
I think it works better up there, since your eyes already have to look up there to see the signal.

No they won't. But they might draw the conclusion that Charles Street has the hill, not Mulberry Street.

EDIT: talllguy (i.e. Elliott), it's on Charles and Mulberry, not Franklin.

kj3400

Quote from: jakeroot on November 24, 2014, 05:02:40 PM

No they won't. But they might draw the conclusion that Charles Street has the hill, not Mulberry Street.

Either way, it's true. The area's pretty hilly.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

JCinSummerfield

Many places in Michigan have opted for the yellow diamond with "Limited Sight Distance"

talllguy

it's on Charles and Mulberry, not Franklin.

Thanks. Those one-way pairs can be confusing.

jakeroot

Quote from: talllguy on November 24, 2014, 07:13:54 PM
it's on Charles and Mulberry, not Franklin.

Thanks. Those one-way pairs can be confusing.

No problem. Sometimes they have the same names regardless so it's an understandable mistake.

Quote from: kj3400 on November 24, 2014, 06:14:32 PM

Either way, it's true. The area's pretty hilly.

Fair point. :cool:

theline

Quote from: JCinSummerfield on November 24, 2014, 06:52:14 PM
Many places in Michigan have opted for the yellow diamond with "Limited Sight Distance"

I'd contend that "Limited Sight Distance" and "Hill" have different usages. When I've seen Hill, it's posted at the top of a long or steep downhill grade, to alert the driver to apply the brakes or maybe even downshift. That is certainly the usage in the example I posted. I've seen Limited Sight Distance used somewhere before the top of an upgrade, to warn that there could be unseen dangers over the hillcrest.

jakeroot

What about this, but with a road instead of a railway?

EDIT: sorry for the double post. Not sure how I managed that.

NE2

Quote from: jakeroot on November 25, 2014, 08:54:26 PM

That would make you think you're on the ridge and the crossroad has the bump.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jakeroot

Quote from: NE2 on November 25, 2014, 11:33:03 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on November 25, 2014, 08:54:26 PM

That would make you think you're on the ridge and the crossroad has the bump.

I would assume the point of a "HILL" sign is to warn of low clearance for long vehicles, at the point just after the crossroad, where the road takes a dive (of sorts) towards the hospital.

US71

Wasn't that removed from the MUTCD a while back?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

signalman

Quote from: US71 on November 30, 2014, 07:23:41 PM

Wasn't that removed from the MUTCD a while back?
If it was, someone should tell NJDOT.  They installed a Limited Sight Distance sign just past my work's exit over the summer.

getemngo

US71 is correct - HILL BLOCKS VIEW replaced LIMITED SIGHT DISTANCE in the 2003 MUTCD.

As for "HILL", I'd prefer if the word sign was eliminated and only the W7 series picture signs were used, but it doesn't keep me up at night.
~ Sam from Michigan

TEG24601

You call that a hill?  Seattle laughs.  You can still see the next light from this intersection.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.