Rest areas that are not associated with freeways

Started by Laura, November 25, 2014, 09:38:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura

What are some examples of rest areas that are not associated with freeways?

My favorite is the anomaly on US 52 in Ossian, IA. It's not a rest area per se, but there is signage for public restrooms at the local library. They are located in the front lobby, so they are accessible even if the library itself is closed. I went inside and thanked the librarians for having them available, and they really appreciated it.

There's also the Wisconsin Welcome Center on US 18 in Prairie du Chien, WI.

The rest area in Smyrna, DE is signed on and can be accessed from DE 1 but was originally built along US 13 for US 13.

iPhone

NE2

Florida has two: a welcome center on US 231 and a rest area on US 19-27 north of Perry.

Maryland has welcome centers on US 13 and US 301.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

oscar

Ohio has quite a few rest areas on non-Interstates.  I can't recall specific ones other than the pair near the east end of Ohio's part of US 35, which have restrooms and vending machines much like the non-Turnpike Interstate rest areas.  Others have nothing but pit toilets.

Quebec has a lot of signs on non-Autoroutes, like QC 132 on the Gaspe Peninsula, pointing you to public "toilettes", some in formal rest areas (no services other than flush toilets and wash basins) and others in local parks (often just pit toilets).  The signs indicate whether they are open or closed, though sometimes (especially in the off-season) they're supposed to be open but aren't.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

formulanone

Alabama has one just north of the state line on US 231, south of Dothan. There's another a few miles north of the city, also on US 231.

Texas has one on US 90, in Medina County; not just a "picnic area".

There's a few located along Tamiami Trail (between the Miami-Dade county line and Naples) in Collier County, but they're very sparsely appointed, restroom-wise...

robbones

I know of three in Arkansas; in Bella Vista on US 71,  right after the split of US 65/165 in Dermott, and in Lake Village on US 65/82/278.

BamaZeus

There's on on US 82 in Chilton County, Alabama between Montgomery and Centreville

catch22

Quote from: robbones on November 25, 2014, 11:41:27 AM
I know of three in Arkansas; in Bella Vista on US 71,  right after the split of US 65/165 in Dermott, and in Lake Village on US 65/82/278.

There's also one on US 67, between Corning and the Missouri state line.

http://goo.gl/maps/wLCVJ

hbelkins

They're common in Ohio, as Oscar mentioned. There is one on OH 7 near Gallipolis, and there's a memorial to the Silver Bridge collapse there.

I also know of one on US 50 somewhere between I-44 and the Kansas City area, but it only has a picnic area and no restrooms. (I went behind a tree and made my own urinal when I stopped).

There's also an intersection at the intersection of US 169 and US 400 (see "Interchanges Between Conventional Roads" or whatever that thread is entitled) and even though this is a grade-separated interchange, neither are freeways. There's also a rest area on US 400 farther west toward Wichita.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

Minnesota has several (14 according to MnDOT) full-service rest areas, including at least five Travel Information Centers, on non-Interstate highways.

SSOWorld

US-51 at US-2 (Northern terminus) near Ironwood/Hurley (103) has a rest area/welcome center off of it - just off the interchange between the two routes
US-45 in Marion, WI - https://goo.gl/maps/pgbuI (101)

These are the only two state-owned rest areas on 2-lane roads.

The Prairie one is a City-owned locale, as is the Marinette one mentioned in the thread about rest areas accessible only via exits\

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/restareas/locations.htm
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

mhh

Seven of the eleven rest areas in Michigan's Upper Peninsula are on non-freeways: http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,1607,7-151-9621_11041_21800_21802-60533--.html

Michigan used to have dozens of non-freeway rest areas. Some were turned over to local control and transformed into local parks.

GaryV

Quote from: mhh on November 25, 2014, 06:20:27 PM
Seven of the eleven rest areas in Michigan's Upper Peninsula are on non-freeways: http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,1607,7-151-9621_11041_21800_21802-60533--.html
Many of those are Welcome Centers, which would be placed near the state border with or without a freeway (Marquette being the exception away from the border).  But Seney, Naubinway and Garden Corners are true Rest Areas.  Open all year, heated bathrooms with running water, etc.

QuoteMichigan used to have dozens of non-freeway rest areas. Some were turned over to local control and transformed into local parks.
There still are a lot of roadside parks (not specifically called "rest areas") on non-freeway highways.  There must be 4 or 5 of them along US-41 between Marquette and Houghton alone.  All closed during the winter!  And many in the LP as well.

briantroutman

I don't think that Pennsylvania has any full rest areas off of freeways–at least not anymore. Lesser highways across the state are peppered with occasional wayside parking lots featuring picnic tables but no bathrooms, vending machines, or tourist information–"NO COMFORT FACILITIES"  in PennDOT parlance.

And on the other end of the spectrum, I believe PennDOT has removed the last of the "park and picnic only"  rest areas from the Interstates.

I was in Idaho a few weeks ago and stopped at this rest area at the intersection of US 20 and ID 75. I recall another one further east on either US 20 or 26. They were otherwise Interstate-complete with an indoor foyer, bathrooms, and vending machines.

Quote from: NE2 on November 25, 2014, 10:14:50 AM
Maryland has welcome centers on US 13 and US 301.

There's also a fairly new one on US 15 near Emmitsburg. Unfortunately, it has ridiculously narrow hours (9-5), and at closing time, they actually close the ramp gate.

Quote from: hbelkins on November 25, 2014, 02:11:15 PM
They're common in Ohio, as Oscar mentioned.

Semi off-topic, but Ohio also has that rest area at-grade on OH 11, which is otherwise a freeway.

roadman65

I like the wayside picnic areas and the occasional roadside table that are along some two lane roads.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

doorknob60

US-97 in Oregon has 4 rest areas (technically 5 because one location has one for each direction) along its length, none of it during its short freeway segments. They are near the CA Border, near Chemult, near Terrebonne and at the US-197 Jct.

US-26 also has one at Government Camp.

US-20 has two between Bend and Burns: one in Brothers and one near US-395 Jct. It also has one that's usually closed (not sure if it's permanent, but it's still signed) a ways east of Burns.

US-101 has one near Brookings.

OR-22 has one between Detroit and Salem (I never remember exactly where it is, but somewhere along that stretch).

These are all the ones I can think of off the top of my head, though I'm sure there are more.

BloonsTDFan360

Quote from: doorknob60 on November 25, 2014, 07:48:18 PM
US-26 also has one at Government Camp.

There is one on US 26 just several miles east of the junction with OR 103.

GCrites

roadman65

US 13 has two at the VA- MD border in each respected state.  Both are Information/ Welcome Centers for the state that each enters, but accessible from both N and S on US 13.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Greybear

There is a Rest Area/Texas Travel Center on US 69/75 SB just after crossing the Red River from Oklahoma.

Eth

Apparently they're pretty common in Alabama - in addition to those mentioned above, there's also one on US 431 just south of Eufaula.

1995hoo

Quote from: roadman65 on November 25, 2014, 07:19:18 PM
I like the wayside picnic areas and the occasional roadside table that are along some two lane roads.

The Pennsylvania Turnpike has some of those. Virginia has had them on four-lane expressway-grade roads, but there are fewer than there used to be.

Regarding the original question, Maryland has what I'd consider a rest area on US-301 northbound after the Harry Nice Bridge. It's signed as a welcome center. Oddly, there are also welcome center signs on the southbound side (as you're leaving Maryland) and you have to make a U-turn to reach it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 25, 2014, 10:45:57 PM
Regarding the original question, Maryland has what I'd consider a rest area on US-301 northbound after the Harry Nice Bridge. It's signed as a welcome center. Oddly, there are also welcome center signs on the southbound side (as you're leaving Maryland) and you have to make a U-turn to reach it.

On the part of U.S. 301 that is north of the U.S. 50 multiplex, there is also one in the median in an unincorporated area of Queen Anne's County not too far from Church Hill at Hayden Road ("secret" Md. 834). 

Google Maps here.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jdb1234

Quote from: Eth on November 25, 2014, 08:55:10 PM
Apparently they're pretty common in Alabama - in addition to those mentioned above, there's also one on US 431 just south of Eufaula.

Not as common as they used to be.  A number of them have been closed over the past several years. 

There is one on US 331 near Florala.

wxfree

Quote from: formulanone on November 25, 2014, 11:18:20 AM
Texas has one on US 90, in Medina County; not just a "picnic area".

I didn't know of that one; it's really neat.  It's in a wide spot in the middle of a divided road, like some turnpike service areas.

US 287 has a few.  There's one north of Decatur.  It's beside the northbound lanes, accessible from the southbound lanes by a crossover.  Others near Quanah and Hedley have one on each side.

There's also one on US 62/180 near the Guadalupe Mountains.  This one is neat because of its scenic location and because it's such a large facility along a sparsely-traveled two-lane highway.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

dfwmapper

Quote from: Greybear on November 25, 2014, 08:40:23 PM
There is a Rest Area/Texas Travel Center on US 69/75 SB just after crossing the Red River from Oklahoma.
Which is a freeway. There are several in Texas that do meet the criteria of the topic though. TxDOT has a map and list of all of them in the state. All the ones not on an interstate are non-freeway except the US 69/75 one and the US 287 one west of Wichita Falls, although a couple are along roads that will eventually become one of the I-69s in the future.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.