News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

Quote from: Alps on October 19, 2016, 07:54:28 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on October 19, 2016, 01:06:19 AM
Quote from: cl94 on October 18, 2016, 10:44:06 PM
On a different topic, I found some more old Washington County CR "shields" today. CRs 61/64 in Shushan. Don't have a pic because they caught me by surprise, but we do have GSV. There's another one at the bridge over the Batten Kill. Oh, and if you want a real treat, this is nearby.

A really old precedent to the crossbucks. Really old. Given the size of Shushan, I can understand how its survived.

Regardless, we're halfway through fall and still no sign of the Taconic Stage 2 signage, due Fall 2016.
Wait, what? What did that sign ever say? I've never seen a railroad diamond before.

Scroll down a little bit. Looking at the back of the Shushan sign on GSV, it appears that it might be similar wording. I'd have to get a closer look to confirm. Assuming it's still there, this could go onto a meet route for the potential Lake George meet. Shushan area is old sign heaven.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

machias

Quote from: vdeane on October 19, 2016, 07:39:14 PM
If that person's been there for 20 years, then maybe better signs will start appearing sometime in the next 10.  Unless that person is the type to never retire... or trains his/her replacement to do the same thing.

Looking at how Region 2 uses the TO banner, it does seem like they don't know what a freeway is.  It's like they don't understand the concept of exit ramps.  Figures... they have fewer freeway miles than any other NYSDOT region, and ALL their freeways have something substandard about them.

The signs prior to 1995 were relatively normal. For example, the ordering of markers made sense on the last run of button copy signs for the MUD project, it's only the reflective replacements where the "To" comes first.  Whoever has designed signs since then has purposely flipped everything around, even those replaced in kind.

I agree that they don't get the idea of a ramp. They also like to put Exit gore signs on ramps leading from a two lane road to a freeway and then post a very low advisory speed limit for the on ramp.  Completely backwards. I once suggested that R3 handle R2's small amount of freeway signs. I didn't get any response to that one.

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on October 19, 2016, 07:44:36 PM
Region 2 is like the bastard stepchild region. Honestly, it should probably just be split up between 1, 3 and 7. Save money and it might help their abysmal signage and striping practices. Please tell me I'm not the only one who sees something a bit wrong with stuff like this.

HAH! I knew you were going to link to that.

I never understood why the road system in R2 is such a cluster.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

D-Dey65

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 18, 2016, 02:22:32 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 18, 2016, 01:41:50 PMMaybe in your next move, you can close down the Long Island Expressway and force everyone to crowd up some of the local roads.

:pan:
Please, don't give him any ideas.
Holy shit, you're right! What a time to regret my sarcasm!  :wow:

cl94

The last thing King Andy needs is ideas.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Alps

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 20, 2016, 03:43:05 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 18, 2016, 01:41:50 PMMaybe in your next move, you can close down the Long Island Expressway and force everyone to crowd up some of the local roads.

Wonder if his subordinates read this board for more project ideas to complete before reelection. If so:

I-88 extension to "Alt 7" north of Albany
I-92 from 87/Glens Falls to US 4/VT border
ALL of I-86

cl94

Quote from: Alps on October 20, 2016, 06:39:26 PM

Wonder if his subordinates read this board for more project ideas to complete before reelection. If so:

ALL of I-86

You expect him to spend money on a useful transportation project? When pigs fly.

Alps

Quote from: cl94 on October 20, 2016, 06:44:57 PM
Quote from: Alps on October 20, 2016, 06:39:26 PM

ALL of I-86

You expect him to spend money on a useful transportation project? When pigs fly.
Show me anything that says the Tappan Zee replacement isn't useful.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Alps on October 20, 2016, 11:42:20 PM
Okay, I think we can each cut him some slack for that.

cl94

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 21, 2016, 12:01:52 AM

That's the only one and it was in the pipeline before he was elected

okc1

Anyone know why a login is required for many of the NYSDOT project pages?  In particular, all the Route 17 to I-86 pages seem to require login.
Steve Reynolds
Midwest City OK
Native of Southern Erie Co, NY

kalvado

Quote from: cl94 on October 21, 2016, 12:13:25 AM

My impression was Tappan Zee was a must-build project, to get a replacement before bridge would be closed for structural problems or collapse..
On a similar note -  I still wonder what happened to Lake Champlain bridge that caused so drastic actions...   

cl94

Quote from: kalvado on October 21, 2016, 10:57:24 AM

My impression was Tappan Zee was a must-build project, to get a replacement before bridge would be closed for structural problems or collapse..
On a similar note -  I still wonder what happened to Lake Champlain bridge that caused so drastic actions...   

Failed inspection. The piers were not structurally sound.

kalvado

Quote from: cl94 on October 21, 2016, 11:08:06 AM

Very generic statement. And no more details, no pictures, somewhat passing inspection few months before and rehabilitation project underway.
My impression they found something really scary; so scary they didn't even wanted to show...

and my bigger point - imagine something similar to happen to Tappan Zee.... 

froggie

Quote from: kalvado on October 21, 2016, 11:53:33 AM
Quote from: cl94 on October 21, 2016, 11:08:06 AM

Very generic statement. And no more details, no pictures, somewhat passing inspection few months before and rehabilitation project underway.
My impression they found something really scary; so scary they didn't even wanted to show...

and my bigger point - imagine something similar to happen to Tappan Zee.... 

The bridge assessment report for the old Lake Champlain Bridge is still online.

amroad17

Quote from: upstatenyroads on October 19, 2016, 05:56:41 PM
Quote from: amroad17 on October 19, 2016, 04:18:55 PM
Quote from: route17fan on October 18, 2016, 02:47:41 PM
D263319 - heads up - it looks like the all text button copy on NY 5 at NY 30 is about to be replaced. https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D263319  :-(
Why does NYSDOT keep mentioning the TO routes before the route one is on or possibly turn on?

Examples:     TO    TO    TO    EAST
                    90   NYT    5S      30     

TO    TO    EAST  EAST
                    90   NYT     790      5

Is it because the Thruway is that important a destination point?

It's only Region 2 that does that. The other NYSDOT Regions follow the convention as laid out by the rest of the country by R2 just doesn't get freeway signing in general. If you look close you'll notice cardinal directions are in Series D instead of Series E(m) or Series E on the plans.

I've been complaining to R2 about how to order route markers on a sign for 20 years. They didn't start doing this until 1995 or so, so there's someone that got hired around then that just doesn't get it. Hopefully the practice won't perpetuate on.

You'll notice overhead panels on the North-South Arterial are EAST 790 - To 90 - To Thruway - EAST 5 - NORTH 8 - NORTH 12.  It took a LOT of kicking and screaming to get them to put the 790 shield first.
Were you the one who at least did the screaming to correct them? 

You have said many times that R2 isn't very good at freeway signage, unlike R3, in which you said has been good.  Maybe R3 should take this over.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

amroad17

Hey, we are on page 99--the number many roadgeeks hate!  :-D

machias

Quote from: amroad17 on October 22, 2016, 01:17:15 AM
Quote from: upstatenyroads on October 19, 2016, 05:56:41 PM
Quote from: amroad17 on October 19, 2016, 04:18:55 PM
D263319 - heads up - it looks like the all text button copy on NY 5 at NY 30 is about to be replaced. https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D263319  :-(
Why does NYSDOT keep mentioning the TO routes before the route one is on or possibly turn on?

Examples:     TO    TO    TO    EAST
                    90   NYT    5S      30     

TO    TO    EAST  EAST
                    90   NYT     790      5

Is it because the Thruway is that important a destination point?

It's only Region 2 that does that. The other NYSDOT Regions follow the convention as laid out by the rest of the country by R2 just doesn't get freeway signing in general. If you look close you'll notice cardinal directions are in Series D instead of Series E(m) or Series E on the plans.

I've been complaining to R2 about how to order route markers on a sign for 20 years. They didn't start doing this until 1995 or so, so there's someone that got hired around then that just doesn't get it. Hopefully the practice won't perpetuate on.

You'll notice overhead panels on the North-South Arterial are EAST 790 - To 90 - To Thruway - EAST 5 - NORTH 8 - NORTH 12.  It took a LOT of kicking and screaming to get them to put the 790 shield first.
Were you the one who at least did the screaming to correct them? 

You have said many times that R2 isn't very good at freeway signage, unlike R3, in which you said has been good.  Maybe R3 should take this over.

Yes, I've been very vocal with R2 since moving here in 1991. When I interviewed with NYSDOT in the mid '00s they were very aware of who I was. :)

To be fair, R2 is receptive to input from the public. I've seen several of my suggestions come to fruition with the freeway signing in R2, but they are stubborn on the "To" thing.

amroad17

I know quite a few of your suggestions have come to fruition in R2 by following your upstatenyroads website.  As a native Central New Yorker (Camillus), I have found your website to be very informative and somewhat nostalgic.

Nice to have interviewers know who you are before the interview actually commences.  :-D

Jim

Quote from: Jim on October 18, 2016, 03:30:48 PM

That's too bad.  There's nothing wrong with the existing signs.  I don't see the point.  Now, if we were getting our very own set of "New York Experience" blue signs in Amsterdam, that would be exciting.

I'll correct myself here.  Coming home tonight in the rain, the old signs (for example, the ones on New York 30 North shown below) were nearly impossible to see compared to new signs.  "Downtown" was crystal clear.  The other two panels were barely readable.  As much as I hate to see them go, I have to admit it's time.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

machias

Quote from: Jim on October 22, 2016, 11:31:49 PM
Quote from: Jim on October 18, 2016, 03:30:48 PM

That's too bad.  There's nothing wrong with the existing signs.  I don't see the point.  Now, if we were getting our very own set of "New York Experience" blue signs in Amsterdam, that would be exciting.

I'll correct myself here.  Coming home tonight in the rain, the old signs (for example, the ones on New York 30 North shown below) were nearly impossible to see compared to new signs.  "Downtown" was crystal clear.  The other two panels were barely readable.  As much as I hate to see them go, I have to admit it's time.

There is some legacy button copy in the Utica area (late 60s and early 70s) that is holding up much better than the button copy that's still up from the late 1980s. I think part of that is because of the reflective backgrounds used in the later button copy days vs the earlier installations.  That being said, I agree that when compared with today's reflective technology, there's no comparison.  Even though the button copy signs seem to be designed and manufactured to a higher standard than today's work, they've definitely lost their reflective punch. I really doubt that we'll see signs installed today lasting 40 or more years.

cl94

Grabbed a picture of the post-2015 LaSalle Expressway signage today:

They now use a format identical to the Hudson River bridge shields and yes, all of the shields still say "Robert Moses State Parkway" even though a couple of the BGSes have been changed to the new name.

Roadgeek Adam

The only BGSs that have seen any change are the ones on I-190.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

cl94

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on October 29, 2016, 10:11:29 PM
The only BGSs that have seen any change are the ones on I-190.

The ones on the LaSalle have been changed. I-190's are currently covered due to a paving-related closure.

Roadgeek Adam

It would be nice if NYSDOT would wrap this up and finish the signs won by the rigged competition.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.