News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Handicap parking spots for specific residents

Started by empirestate, September 06, 2016, 09:36:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

Quote from: mariethefoxy on September 08, 2016, 01:17:05 AM
Quote from: empirestate on September 07, 2016, 05:17:03 PM
Quote from: mariethefoxy on September 06, 2016, 10:42:45 PM
at my freind's apartment complex, the handicapped parking sign had a number on it designating the apartment number it was to be used for.Dunno how much use it was to someone in a wheelchair since the place was an old building that seriously was not ADA compliant. (No elevator at all)

But that was privately owned, and in a parking lot, surely?

yup, it was within the apartment complex, can you still get a parking ticket for parking there without a tag or plate if its private property?

Depends on the laws in that area, I suppose. But you could certainly be towed away.

But in any case, that's a whole different ballgame from what this topic is about, which is public, on-street parking spaces.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Duke87 on September 07, 2016, 08:44:49 PM
So here's one which is also for the guerilla traffic control files:

I have a (now deceased) older relative who, about 20 years ago, took it upon himself to take a can of paint and mark the spot on the street in front of his house as handicapped. He would adamantly defend this as *his* space, to the point where he even once flipped out on someone else who parked there with a handicapped permit.

Despite having zero authority to do this, he got away with it until he died. After which point the paint (which was not pavement marking grade paint) was simply left to fade away. No trace remains today as best I can tell.

A friend of mine who knows Sea Isle City, NJ well, where on-street parking is tight and limited by numerous residential driveways, said that some people, including his uncle, used to put yellow paint within a few feet of their driveway apron to keep cars away.  At first, the city let it go.  But more and more people started doing it, to the point where people started creating no parking zones in front of their entire property, which drew complaints from people about all the no parking zones.

All of this, of course, was completely illegal (even though my friend claimed he was told by a cop he could do it).  Everyone with yellow paint was sent notices telling them that it was illegal to paint the curb, and they would be charged with destruction of public property if it wasn't removed.

1995hoo

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 08, 2016, 12:46:22 PM

I have a (now deceased) older relative who, about 20 years ago, took it upon himself to take a can of paint and mark the spot on the street in front of his house as handicapped. He would adamantly defend this as *his* space, to the point where he even once flipped out on someone else who parked there with a handicapped permit.

Despite having zero authority to do this, he got away with it until he died. After which point the paint (which was not pavement marking grade paint) was simply left to fade away. No trace remains today as best I can tell.

A friend of mine who knows Sea Isle City, NJ well, where on-street parking is tight and limited by numerous residential driveways, said that some people, including his uncle, used to put yellow paint within a few feet of their driveway apron to keep cars away.  At first, the city let it go.  But more and more people started doing it, to the point where people started creating no parking zones in front of their entire property, which drew complaints from people about all the no parking zones.

All of this, of course, was completely illegal (even though my friend claimed he was told by a cop he could do it).  Everyone with yellow paint was sent notices telling them that it was illegal to paint the curb, and they would be charged with destruction of public property if it wasn't removed.

Stuff like that still goes on in various places. Stanley Roberts did this report in 2008:

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

marleythedog

Dayton has an interesting way of doing it in residential areas:

https://goo.gl/maps/Sjc4XVa4VDt

NO Parking Except with City of Dayton Handicapped Plaque

And the plaque is a monstrosity that sits on your dashboard, probably about 8x14, in Highway Gothic, that says "City of Dayton Handicapped Permit."

DaBigE

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 08, 2016, 08:42:20 PM

Stuff like that still goes on in various places. Stanley Roberts did this report in 2008:

Reminds me a bit of an old Dennis the Menace episode from a while back...IIRC, Dennis spilled some red paint on the curb by Mr. Wilson's house, then felt obligated to fix his clumsiness by painting the rest of the curb in front of the house to match. Prior to that, Mr. Wilson had been complaining to the police about people parking in front of his house.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

jay8g

Seattle has one of these programs. It also explicitly states that it is not reserved for a specific person, though that probably doesn't stop people from complaining. From what I've seen, it is also allowed for houses with driveways if they are not accessible, which in Seattle is generally due to hills.

Portland doesn't have this program due to the concerns about effectively providing a private parking space.

Seattle actually explicitly permits this, though it's not very common, and when people do this, they often do more than allowed (I've seen a few places where people painted "NO PARKING" on the pavement in front of their driveway).

hm insulators

When I lived in Van Nuys, I was frequently tempted to be one of those guerilla curb painters.

I lived on the west side of Woodman Avenue. On the north side of the driveway, there was a bus stop with a red-painted curb. On the south side, the curb was unpainted, and people often would try to squeeze a teeny car into the tiniest space imaginable, often partially blocking the narrow driveway. I never did so, but I was always threatening to get some red paint and paint the curb for a length of about four or five feet on the south side of the driveway.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

mrsman

California is one of the few states here curb painting alone has meaning.

In most states, curb painting is meaningless.  Painting yellow on the curb has no force of law, you need to have a no parking sign in front to have an enforceable restriction.

Yet, the yellow paint clearly indicates that it may not be a good idea to park there, and yes, you shouldn't park up to the edge of a driveway and having the paint delineate a safe zone is sometimes helpful.  Some curb spaces between two driveways are not wide enough for a car, so the homeowner painted it yellow and now nobody even attempts to park there.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: mrsman on October 21, 2016, 08:27:32 AM
California is one of the few states here curb painting alone has meaning.

In most states, curb painting is meaningless.  Painting yellow on the curb has no force of law, you need to have a no parking sign in front to have an enforceable restriction.

Yet, the yellow paint clearly indicates that it may not be a good idea to park there, and yes, you shouldn't park up to the edge of a driveway and having the paint delineate a safe zone is sometimes helpful.  Some curb spaces between two driveways are not wide enough for a car, so the homeowner painted it yellow and now nobody even attempts to park there.

States also have state statutes defining no parking zones for specific distances away from intersections, driveways, curb cuts, etc.  Paint only reinforces those statutes, and no signage is required.

kphoger

Neighbors a block away spray-painted their curb bright yellow, with a single coat so it looked like crap.  But they did it to match how they spray-painted the curb edges of their driveway.  They thought it looked good, I guess.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

GaryV

Quote from: mrsman on October 21, 2016, 08:27:32 AMIn most states, curb painting is meaningless.  Painting yellow on the curb has no force of law, you need to have a no parking sign in front to have an enforceable restriction.
A former pastor told a story about painted curbs.  He was in the Zeeland MI hospital.  Several years prior they had changed the configuration of the parking lot, and moved the entrance.  But there was still a short section of the old curb next to the old entrance that was painted yellow.

A city worker came along to repaint the yellow curbs.  He saw the short section, shrugged, and dutifully repainted it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.