News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

MoDOT Introduces LED Stop Signs

Started by US71, November 05, 2011, 10:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

MoDOT has announced they will be posting LED STOP signs (STOP signs with flashing LED's along the border) at 2 intersections in Clinton:

Bus 13 at MO 13  and  Water Street at MO 7

These are the first LED STOP signs in Missouri, to my knowledge. Earlier this year, MoDOT introduced flashing Yield signs along I-44 exit ramps leading to Business US 71 at Joplin.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Revive 755

I thought there was one on WB MO 131 in Odessa where 131 crosses over I-70 back in 2009, but streetview doesn't even have the intersection as a three way stop.

EDIT:  Might have been the SOR intersection with the EB I-70 exit in Odessa; kind of looks like a solar panel on the stop sign:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=39.008059,-93.969106&spn=0.003539,0.008256&t=k&z=18&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=39.008045,-93.968853&panoid=kabG_2SyPPu2IF2vJVtmpQ&cbp=12,325.08,,0,3.04

mgk920

There are several of those scattered around here in the Appleton, WI area.  Many are solar-powered.

Mike

Zmapper

LED stop signs? I have never heard of thoe before, honestly. What is the point for the LEDs, and how do they work?

Brandon

Quote from: Zmapper on November 06, 2011, 12:16:49 AM
LED stop signs? I have never heard of thoe before, honestly. What is the point for the LEDs, and how do they work?

They're flashing LEDs around the perimeter of the stop sign.  The signs I've seen tend to have them at each of the corners on the sign.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

US71

Linden, Texas

Carthage, Texas
(the flashers drowned out the LED's in this photo)

JREwing78

It makes them more visible, and is an alternative to a blinker warning light.

There's some of these just down the road from me in Verona, at County M and County PB.

M86

Quote from: US71 on November 05, 2011, 10:02:24 PM
Earlier this year, MoDOT introduced flashing Yield signs along I-44 exit ramps leading to Business US 71 at Joplin.

I was in Joplin on Saturday... I was en-route to Springfield on a schedule, so I didn't get a chance to do my usual driving around/inspecting. 

On a side note, I'm surprised MoDOT hasn't installed some of the overhead signage yet that were destroyed by the Joplin tornado.

US71

Quote from: M86 on November 06, 2011, 02:00:32 AM

On a side note, I'm surprised MoDOT hasn't installed some of the overhead signage yet that were destroyed by the Joplin tornado.

I've noticed that as well. Maybe it takes longer to get it all done, though I think at 44/71 they are waiting for I-49 signs.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.