Fictional Highways board split idea

Started by Zmapper, November 02, 2011, 08:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zmapper

:banghead: I was just finishing typing up a reply to the GHT one when the thead was locked!  :ded:

There are some images, creations, etc that I would like to share but feel like each one doesn't deserve a separate thread. Do the mods mind if I create like a "_____ Studios" and just post my miscellaneous stuff there? In a way, like Simtropolis and SC4D City Journals, where each update doesn't get a separate thread?

If so, maybe splitting up Fictional Highways and adding a section akin to the Simtropolis City Journals might be a good idea.  :nod:

Just my 2 cents.

Alps

We have Photos, Videos, and More for people with site updates. Sounds like you want similar for Fictional. It's the "Less" part that's not covered. :-P We're slowly creating child boards for other groups, we might be able to do that too.

I think a split between more ..realistic ideas.....and the just put an Interstate everywhere posts might be a good idea too

Zmapper

I have thought that might be a good idea 3467. Problem is, who decides if what you posted is *possibly* realistic, versus pure fantasy.

Just as an example, please sort the list into sorta realistic and pure fantasy ideas:

• I-495 tunnel under Manhattan
  • Extend I-40 to I-5
  • Waaay outer (100mi+ radius) new Interstate bypass of Chicago
  • Extend I-27 to Midland, TX
  • Renumber I-80 and I-72 in the Quad Cities
  • Build the missing links for I-70 in Breezewood

As you see, it gets kind of hard to quantify which is which. Another idea: Separate by how much attention to detail the author pays to the idea. It is one thing to draw a line across a state map; another to work out how the interchanges would be laid out, number of lanes, attention to sensitive environmental features, etc.

Very good point on serious design effort in the proposal.
Also one of the ideas you mentioned -the Chicago outer bypass-has posts in the regionals under Illinana and Prarie Parkway. The Illinois Tollway is doing design on the Illiana. All your other mentions have been realistically and in some cases recently considered ex 495.
Perhaps we could leave it up to the authors ....except that would put too much work on the moderators because I am afraid the Interstate through Yellowstone guys would think its the equivalent to a real interchange at Breezewood which is all a long way of saying I think your detailed design and or descrption criteria is the way to go Zmapper

ethanman62187

Build the missing links for I-70 in Breezewood

Yeah, I'm sure of that.
I like all of this. I like va sr 28 to be an interstate highway.

Zmapper

I guess I know for sure to file the Breezewood fix (especially if the ramps are built for 25mph but signed at 85mph) away with I-366.   ;-)

Hell, sign the Breezewood ramps as I-366666667!  :happy:

Alps

Fictional highways have a few different components:

1) Check out my random lineshighways (i.e., completely new roads)
2) Renumbering and decommissioning ideas (i.e., existing roads)
3) Missing links/extensions (i.e., new parts in the existing system)
4) Non-map related: signs, SimCity graphics

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Steve on November 03, 2011, 07:12:38 PM

5) Turn VA 28 into I-366
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

NE2

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on November 03, 2011, 09:47:05 PM

5) Turn VA 28 into I-366

6) The speed will be 85.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vtk

Quote from: NE2 on November 03, 2011, 10:31:11 PM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on November 03, 2011, 09:47:05 PM

5) Turn VA 28 into I-366

6) The speed will be 85.

I think that 6) should actually be a detail to add to 5).  Actually, if one were to try to collect all of those scattered but related ideas, a detailed proposal might emerge for that particular freeway...

Actually, level of detail might be a pretty good distinction to go by, along with Steve's 4 categories.  Personally, the level of detail I put into my proposals depends mostly on my familiarity with the area.  For example, if I were to extend I-40 to the west coast, it would pretty much be just a line on a California map, but my I-171 proposal has interchange layouts, a vertical alignment, and signage plans.  And I've also had ideas in the renumbering category.  Having separate boards for these things can help readers find the posts they're interested in at the moment, and it can help posters reach the audience that would most likely appreciate their particular proposals.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.