News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kefkafloyd

There's been changes to the configuration. This is more what the CT 20 / Schoephoester Road / Terminal roadways will look like (even though the ramps are still a little thicker than what will actually happen).

RIP that overpass for Hamilton Road, which used to be a taxiway way back in the day.

RobbieL2415

shadyjay

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on September 21, 2017, 12:46:00 AM
Congressman Larson (District 1) is still trying to push his Big Dig project for Hartford. :ded:

http://www.courant.com/business/dan-haar/hc-pol-haar-larson-tunnel-project-bocce-shuster-20170915-story.html

Love the cloverleaf that appears when you open that link.  That'll solve the traffic problem ;-)

kurumi

Several interchange concepts for exits 46, 47, 48 on the Lowered Highway Alternative for I-84 in Hartford: http://i84hartford.com/analysis

Also, if you expand the "Historical Studies" section of http://i84hartford.com/documentlibrary there are a bunch of broken links to otherwise interesting docs from 1945 thru 1970. I've emailed them about it.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: kurumi on September 21, 2017, 01:28:03 PM
Several interchange concepts for exits 46, 47, 48 on the Lowered Highway Alternative for I-84 in Hartford: http://i84hartford.com/analysis

Also, if you expand the "Historical Studies" section of http://i84hartford.com/documentlibrary there are a bunch of broken links to otherwise interesting docs from 1945 thru 1970. I've emailed them about it.

I commented and explained they should not shorten the legnth of the 4-lane each way section.  I previous map suggested they would.  I said they needed the extra legnth for I-91 traffic to have extra elbow room.

I chose the flyover option of course!
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

The Ghostbuster

I highly doubt there will be a "Big Dig" of Interstate 84 in Hartford. I mean, if the state can't complete CT 11 nor connect Interstate 384 with the US 6 freeway around Willimantic, how the hell are they going to convert Interstate 84 into a tunnel?

Beeper1

They won't.    They'll study the hell out of it over and over but never fund construction of anything substantial until we have a repeat of the Mianus Bridge disaster on the viaduct in downtown Hartford. 

RobbieL2415

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 21, 2017, 04:25:55 PM
I highly doubt there will be a "Big Dig" of Interstate 84 in Hartford. I mean, if the state can't complete CT 11 nor connect Interstate 384 with the US 6 freeway around Willimantic, how the hell are they going to convert Interstate 84 into a tunnel?
You have to remember, though, that there's this project AND a potential second project involving the replacement Bulkley Bridge, which IMO should be converted into a tunnel.

kurumi

The I-84 Hartford project site has fixed their historical document links at http://www.i84hartford.com/documentlibrary. In the 1949 document, Robert Moses weighs in on the alignment of what would later become I-84.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

RobbieL2415

Quote from: kurumi on September 26, 2017, 11:32:02 AM
The I-84 Hartford project site has fixed their historical document links at http://www.i84hartford.com/documentlibrary. In the 1949 document, Robert Moses weighs in on the alignment of what would later become I-84.
I've read the 1970 joint study. Some very cool urban renewal project ideas in there.

Mergingtraffic

kurumi

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on September 27, 2017, 04:29:57 PM
http://7-15norwalk.com/documents/Route_7-15_Norwalk_Newsletter_Fall2017.pdf

Merritt and CT-15 project newsletter

Traffic signals on the 7 "freeway". Motorists are gonna love that. (Sorry for the spoiler)

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: kurumi on September 27, 2017, 10:44:21 PM

Traffic signals on the 7 "freeway". Motorists are gonna love that. (Sorry for the spoiler)

Just send them the ones that they remove from Route 9 in Middletown :)
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

southshore720

Flush Alternative 26 down the toilet!  AWFUL!  The incomplete US 7, CT 25, CT 11, and I-384 will forever rub me the wrong way!

Duke87

Fully approved of by the NIMBYs in Wilton and Ridgefield, I'm sure. You know, the folks to whom the US 7 freeway is a loaded gun pointed at their communities, and any attempts to make improvements to it are the state cocking the hammer.

I attended a public meeting about this interchange in 2008, back when they were aiming for the "modified cloverleaf" design that's now no longer under consideration since they've realized it's poor from a safety perspective.

One of the folks who came to the meeting suggested that the interchange be modified so that the freeway ended at the Merritt, and that the existing freeway up to Grist Mill Rd be converted into a local back entrance to Merrit 7 corporate park only, in order to firmly ensure that the freeway is never extended any further north.

This is the type of attitude this project is up against, and is why I would not be shocked if that alternative 26 is what ends up happening. Of course, I still think the most likely outcome of this is that nothing happens.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: Duke87 on September 28, 2017, 06:34:52 PM

Fully approved of by the NIMBYs in Wilton and Ridgefield, I'm sure. You know, the folks to whom the US 7 freeway is a loaded gun pointed at their communities, and any attempts to make improvements to it are the state cocking the hammer.

I attended a public meeting about this interchange in 2008, back when they were aiming for the "modified cloverleaf" design that's now no longer under consideration since they've realized it's poor from a safety perspective.

One of the folks who came to the meeting suggested that the interchange be modified so that the freeway ended at the Merritt, and that the existing freeway up to Grist Mill Rd be converted into a local back entrance to Merrit 7 corporate park only, in order to firmly ensure that the freeway is never extended any further north.

This is the type of attitude this project is up against, and is why I would not be shocked if that alternative 26 is what ends up happening. Of course, I still think the most likely outcome of this is that nothing happens.

Wonderfully said!  It's amazing how they think anything being done is a precursor to the expressway (Which should be built)
I thought the same that the traffic light idea might actually get through b/c of the nonsense...the cloverleaf was all set to be pushed through BY THE DOT of all people.  They even had a slideshow saying how great cloverleafs were.

This project is a poster child of NIMBYism and CT the land of steady habits.  You could almost frame it.  TX or FL must laugh at us.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on September 29, 2017, 02:55:45 PM

Wonderfully said!  It's amazing how they think anything being done is a precursor to the expressway (Which should be built)
I thought the same that the traffic light idea might actually get through b/c of the nonsense...the cloverleaf was all set to be pushed through BY THE DOT of all people.  They even had a slideshow saying how great cloverleafs were.

This project is a poster child of NIMBYism and CT the land of steady habits.  You could almost frame it.  TX or FL must laugh at us.
Too be fair, though, out state does have a history of poor air quality and we have seen highway construction transform the character of our cities.  I would say, at least compromise on the expressway build; bypass commercial sections but still have at-grade intersections.  It would be the same premise as the CT 72 bypass.  Keep in mind, you'd also be dealing with utility relocation and railroad relocation and possible diversion of the Norwalk River.  You have to at least appease the NIMBYs because their concerns about character of the community, noise pollution, and environmental impact are justifiable, as long as they are dictated by facts and not by emotions.  TX and FL have the advantage of having lots of unused land with considerable space between residential areas, so it's understandably easier to build there.  In New England, you're battling topography, utilities, thickly settled areas, forests, state parks etc.  More obstacles.

SectorZ

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on September 29, 2017, 03:15:22 PM

Too be fair, though, out state does have a history of poor air quality and we have seen highway construction transform the character of our cities.  I would say, at least compromise on the expressway build; bypass commercial sections but still have at-grade intersections.  It would be the same premise as the CT 72 bypass.  Keep in mind, you'd also be dealing with utility relocation and railroad relocation and possible diversion of the Norwalk River.  You have to at least appease the NIMBYs because their concerns about character of the community, noise pollution, and environmental impact are justifiable, as long as they are dictated by facts and not by emotions.  TX and FL have the advantage of having lots of unused land with considerable space between residential areas, so it's understandably easier to build there.  In New England, you're battling topography, utilities, thickly settled areas, forests, state parks etc.  More obstacles.

Doesn't forcing all that high-speed traffic to constantly jostle between 0 and 60 MPH screw up air quality much worse than that traffic just constantly streaming thru at 60?

JJBers

Quote from: SectorZ on September 29, 2017, 04:24:53 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on September 29, 2017, 03:15:22 PM

Doesn't forcing all that high-speed traffic to constantly jostle between 0 and 60 MPH screw up air quality much worse than that traffic just constantly streaming thru at 60?
They'll probably drop the speed limit to like 45 mph or something like that too.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

Mergingtraffic

This sign got a new CT-8 shield but why? It's going to be replaced next year anyway.

jp the roadgeek

The I-84 sign replacement project between Exit 30 and 39A is underway.  Some of the posts for signage have been put up, and a couple of the BGS entrance signs have been replaced at Exit 32.  Saw some of the signs to be hung being stored in the ghost ramp area from Woodford Ave to I-84 East as you round the curve just past the CT 72 West split.  Looks like the state route shields don't have as pronounced a black outline as the new signs on I-395 and CT 8. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

shadyjay

Good to hear there's progress.  And I was never a fan of the thick black outline around the state route shields on BGSs.  It's fine on reassurance shields, better than the Mass-style with the thin outline that got introduced in the mid 80s on CT 9, especially. 

jp the roadgeek

Just noticed that in the I-91 Wikipedia article, someone changed the exit numbers for CT and VT to mileage based numbers.  Interesting. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_91

PHLBOS

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 26, 2017, 12:13:11 AM
Just noticed that in the I-91 Wikipedia article, someone changed the exit numbers for CT and VT to mileage based numbers.  Interesting. 

Must've been short-lived/changed back.  I clicked on the link and only saw sequential exit numbers for CT & VT.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alps

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 26, 2017, 12:13:11 AM

People get ideas. Usually poor ones.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.