News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Iowa State Hiway Route # Signs ??

Started by Jardine, September 16, 2017, 02:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jardine

Just me, or are they changing all the route number signs?

I can tell, instead of a black frame with a white circle inside with the number in it, the new version is OVAL !!!

The BASTARDS !!!!

(LOL!)    :biggrin:

hbelkins

I was recently in Iowa and saw an alarming number of wide markers for three-digit state and US routes. While I hate the way Iowa does arrows, I always liked the fact that they kept squares for their state and US route markers and hadn't gone to the wide ones like Kentucky did 40 years ago.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: hbelkins on September 16, 2017, 04:30:41 PM
I was recently in Iowa and saw an alarming number of wide markers for three-digit state and US routes. While I hate the way Iowa does arrows, I always liked the fact that they kept squares for their state and US route markers and hadn't gone to the wide ones like Kentucky did 40 years ago.

It seems that the new Iowa DOT standard is this for 3-digit state routes:

I have seen these all over various 3-digit routes. Why they still use Series B even though they've got room for Series C or better is beyond me.

hotdogPi

That's an elongated circle, not an oval. An oval does not have any straight lines.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: 1 on September 16, 2017, 06:07:53 PM
That's an elongated circle, not an oval. An oval does not have any straight lines.

Right. I just assumed that's what he meant, because the only oval-shaped markers I've ever seen in Iowa are these monstrosities on the new Iowa 471 that I assume were fabricated by a contractor:

sparker

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on September 16, 2017, 06:14:35 PM
Quote from: 1 on September 16, 2017, 06:07:53 PM

Right. I just assumed that's what he meant, because the only oval-shaped markers I've ever seen in Iowa are these monstrosities on the new Iowa 471 that I assume were fabricated by a contractor:

Wow!  That contractor sure laid an egg!  (rimshot)

Jardine

that intersection looks familiar

I think I've been lost there recently . . . .

triplemultiplex

Roadgeeks don't get lost, we're just exploring the local roads. :sombrero:
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Jardine

Jardine

From Wiki:

An oval (from Latin ovum, "egg") is a closed curve in a plane which "loosely" resembles the outline of an egg. The term is not very specific, but in some areas (projective geometry, technical drawing, etc.) it is given a more precise definition, which may include either one or two axes of symmetry. In common English, the term is used in a broader sense: any shape which reminds one of an egg.

ATLRedSoxFan

Could be Kentucky or Mississippi, or even Virginia secondary if I didn't know better.

US71

Having just recently been to Iowa, that is the only oval shield I recall seeing (except for other 471's).
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

Quote from: US71 on November 07, 2017, 07:57:39 PM
Having just recently been to Iowa, that is the only oval shield I recall seeing (except for other 471's).

I was there a few months ago. They're becoming more and more frequent.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.