Bridges on Bridges

Started by PAHighways, May 24, 2011, 02:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAHighways

Who knew actor Beau Bridges was such an expert on bridges?  Although, he really needs to double check his facts.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/04dae3fa8e/bridges-on-bridges-with-beau-bridges

Alps

I've seen bridges on bridges. For example, the elevated subway over Grand Central Parkway in NYC.

NE2

I've seen tunnels in bridges (Grand Concourse subway over the Cross Bronx) and bridges in tunnels (some of the subway stations in Harlem are large caverns with bridges to cross over the tracks).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SteveG1988

Richmond VA, bridge under a bridge
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

agentsteel53

I believe it is US-2 in St. Johnsbury, VT (though it may be I-5) which features an old bridge, which was later reused as the substructure to a new bridge!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

They did that all along the Florida Keys, putting roadways on top of old railroad trusses.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Zmapper

I suppose tracks laid on top of railroad ties could be considered a type of bridge.   :hmmm:

NE2

The train could be carrying students to a model bridge competition :sombrero:

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

oscar

Quote from: SteveG1988 on May 24, 2011, 11:54:44 PM

I don't have a photo handy, but in Washington, D.C., part of the ramp from northbound S. Capitol Street to the westbound Southwest-Southeast Freeway (at that poiint unsigned I-695) is suspended from the freeway's bridge deck. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

roadman65

174th and 175th Streets under Grand Councourse in the Bronx has a large arched bridge in both locations with the subway dropping from the ceiling in the middle.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Hot Rod Hootenanny

This is just two miles north of my house. The original stone culvert was kept and the county built a new bridge above it.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

dfilpus

The Blue Ridge Parkway over the James River in Virginia has a pedestrian bridge underneath the roadway

Mr_Northside

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

roadman65

You can say that the CR 514 overpass over both the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway in Woodbridge, NJ is one.  Even, though it straddles above the two freeway's crossing, there are two wrought iron piers in the median of the GSP supporting the middle of CR 514 that are on top the center retaining wall (elongated pier) of the bridge suspending the higher freeway over the Turnpike. 

Sheryl Crowe

Beltway

Quote from: SteveG1988 on May 24, 2011, 11:54:44 PM

US-1/US-301 Robert E. Lee Bridge over the James River.

The Lee Bridge is a 6-lane segmental cast-in-place post-tensioned design, opened in 1989.

The bridge underneath is a suspension design, for pedestrians and bicycles, to Belle Isle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belle_Isle_(Richmond,_Virginia)_

"Belle Isle is a small (54-acre (220,000 m2)) island in the James River in Richmond, Virginia in the United States. Belle Isle is owned by the city of Richmond, and has been designated a city park. It is accessible to pedestrian and bicycle traffic via a suspension footbridge that runs under the Robert E. Lee Bridge from the northern shore of the James."

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

ARMOURERERIC

Broad Street bridge in Rochester, built as a second level over an existing bridge that carried an abandoned Erie Canal over the Genessee River, later the lower canal level was used as a streetcar tunnel

MrDisco99

How about this... Main St. over the Garden State Parkway over the New Jersey Turnpike

Quote from: roadman65 on May 28, 2011, 09:31:57 AM
174th and 175th Streets under Grand Councourse in the Bronx has a large arched bridge in both locations with the subway dropping from the ceiling in the middle.

Wow, I just pulled that up on StreetView... I never knew that was there.  I guess I never thought about how deep the subway would have to be there.

Duke87

Quote from: MrDisco99 on February 10, 2012, 07:04:45 PM

Wow, I just pulled that up on StreetView... I never knew that was there.  I guess I never thought about how deep the subway would have to be there.

Also noteworthy because there is an exit onto 174th... so, counter-logical as it may seem, one can get off of an underground subway and go down to get to street level.

Although, this is not the only station on the NYC subway where such a condition exists. 190th Street on the A can also make that claim, and so can Wilson Avenue on the L (sorta).
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Brian556

This one is on Westmoreland Rd at The Trinity River in Dallas, TX
(not my pic) Pic by local history enthusiast MC Toyer

roadman65

There is one in Seattle where I-5 crosses the Ship Canal.  The reversable express lanes are located inside the bridges truss underneath the main roadway deck.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: MrDisco99 on February 10, 2012, 07:04:45 PM

How about this... Main St. over the Garden State Parkway over the New Jersey Turnpike

You have the Connecticut Avenue Line of the Washington Metro where it has to go real deep cause Connecticut Avenue is way over 100 feet above Rock Creek Park and Parkway.  The tunnels are beneath the river and roadway beneath the high bridge.  Nonetheless, it explains why the Cross Bronx tunnels under the Grand Concourse instead of a normal bridge over the highway.

Sheryl Crowe

Perfxion

Don't know if this counts: I-10 bridge, above the frontage roads with the interchange of I-610 in the middle, with I-610 itself being the top bridge above it. BTW, one of the bridge interchange is the US290 HOV lane bridge, which currently doesn't touch I-10 or its parent road US90. US90 is cosigned on this strech of the Katy Freeway.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=i-10+beltway+8+interchange&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=imvns&biw=1920&bih=924&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=3dhkT5LZAaeLsQLOxNm2Dw&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=3&ved=0CDMQ_AUoAg
5/10/20/30/15/35/37/40/44/45/70/76/78/80/85/87/95/
(CA)405,(NJ)195/295(NY)295/495/278/678(CT)395(MD/VA)195/495/695/895

roadman65

Quote from: Perfxion on March 17, 2012, 02:39:55 PM
Don't know if this counts: I-10 bridge, above the frontage roads with the interchange of I-610 in the middle, with I-610 itself being the top bridge above it. BTW, one of the bridge interchange is the US290 HOV lane bridge, which currently doesn't touch I-10 or its parent road US90. US90 is cosigned on this strech of the Katy Freeway.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=i-10+beltway+8+interchange&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=imvns&biw=1920&bih=924&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=3dhkT5LZAaeLsQLOxNm2Dw&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=3&ved=0CDMQ_AUoAg

The link does not work.  Its gets me to the normal google maps page showing all of North America.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.