News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Notorious Speed Traps

Started by bassoon1986, December 03, 2013, 10:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassoon1986

I see comments quite often on the forum about speed traps you despise. Waldo, FL, and the towns along US 69 in SE Oklahoma come to my mind. Where are the worst cities, counties, road stretches in your area that are well-known for being a speed trap?

In central Louisiana, Woodworth is at the top of my list (and not just because I live here now!) The dip from 55 to 50 for the central 10 blocks or so on US 165 is what gets most people pulled over.

Also Georgetown along US 165 headed north towards Monroe.

St. Landry parish is one of the worst. Probably because US 190 carries so much of traffic headed south to Baton Rouge. Washington and Port Barre are the ones I especially watch out for when I drive through there.

hbelkins

Summersville, WV, along US 19 is well-known.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

I-295 in Hopewell, VA
VA 144 in Colonial Heights
US 58 in Emporia, VA
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

formulanone

Lawtey, Florida (north of Waldo and Starke on US 301)

Exit 49 on I-75 in Florida catches several speeders out.

I assume every town where the speed limit drops is a speed trap, to be honest. I've learned that lesson the expensive way.

bugo

Other towns in Oklahoma:

Big Cabin
Pocola
Panama
Shady Point
Tryon

deathtopumpkins

Boxford on MA 133 - short, heavily policed 25 zone that's a fairly abrupt drop from 40/45s on either side.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

1995hoo

The segment of US-29 south of VA-230 and north of the Bavarian Chef restaurant. People constantly get pulled over through there even though it's a well-known speedtrap.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NE2

I tried to go 55 in this thread but my post was deleted.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hotdogPi

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on December 03, 2013, 12:16:38 PM
Boxford on MA 133 - short, heavily policed 25 zone that's a fairly abrupt drop from 40/45s on either side.

I go that way every Wednesday night at 6:15 PM and back at 9:30 PM. Never a police car.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Takumi on December 03, 2013, 11:01:24 AM
I-295 in Hopewell, VA

Yes!  Abusive speed limit enforcement at its best (as in worst).  Hopewell alone should be reason enough to get the Virginia General Assembly to forbid local governments (especially small ones like Hopewell) from doing speed limit enforcement on Interstates and non-Interstate freeways.  Should be the responsibility of the VSP (and only the VSP).  Though I sometimes see local police (especially the Fairfax County Police) doing traffic enforcement on Interstates in Northern Virginia, but it does not seem to be abusive.

US 58 in Emporia, VA

Also I-95 through Emporia, Va.

And don't forget Va. 7 and U.S. 29 through the City of Falls Church. 

Va. 267 (Dulles Toll Road) and "secret" Va. 90004 (Dulles Access Road) have pretty strict speed limit enforcement by the MWAA Police (a notorious spot is westbound approaching the airport where the speed limit declines pretty sharply (and it is well-signed)).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 03, 2013, 12:38:53 PM
The segment of US-29 south of VA-230 and north of the Bavarian Chef restaurant. People constantly get pulled over through there even though it's a well-known speedtrap.

Someone told me that the speed limit enforcement just south of there along U.S. 29 in Greene County is not nearly as abusive as it used to be, because the sheriff that ordered that his deputies to engage in such activities has gone on to the great speed trap in the afterlife. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

wxfree

Keene, Texas is the worst I know of.  The speed limit of 50 on US 67 in town isn't unreasonable, but recently the 50 mph zone was extended well out of town where the limit had been 60, and it's strictly enforced.  I don't generally break laws so I don't worry about police, but I've been very closely followed by a Keene cop waiting for me to mess up, which is unnerving.  I was saved when someone ran a stop sign up ahead and got the cop's attention.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

lordsutch

A few:

Always a cop sitting in the median on US 72 in Piperton, TN just past the Mississippi line (55 zone, built to 65+ standards, no urban development to speak of).

GA 96 in Butler and (particularly) Reynolds, Ga. (latter speed limit drops from 65 to 30 in less than a mile).

In addition to Lawtey, pretty much every town on 301 north of Marion County to I-10 is notorious for speed traps. There's a reason AAA (back before their insurance interests trumped motorist advocacy) once boycotted the whole corridor and in the days of paper TripTiks would advise using 10/75 instead.

hbelkins

Does AAA still denote areas of strict enforcement on their marked maps/Triptiks?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Takumi

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 03, 2013, 03:43:25 PM
I-295 in Hopewell, VA

Yes!  Abusive speed limit enforcement at its best (as in worst).  Hopewell alone should be reason enough to get the Virginia General Assembly to forbid local governments (especially small ones like Hopewell) from doing speed limit enforcement on Interstates and non-Interstate freeways.  Should be the responsibility of the VSP (and only the VSP).  Though I sometimes see local police (especially the Fairfax County Police) doing traffic enforcement on Interstates in Northern Virginia, but it does not seem to be abusive.
Over the years I've commuted to Petersburg (first college, then work) I've seen many, many Petersburg police having pulled someone over on I-95 (but never I-85, only state police on it). Oddly, their surface street traffic enforcement is more lax; just tonight I saw a car next to a Petersburg police officer at a red light mistakenly take off on red, and the police officer just sat there. In Colonial Heights the opposite is true: the interstates aren't really patrolled but the city streets are littered with speed traps. Neither city has the notoriety of Hopewell's traps, however.

US 58 in Emporia, VA

Also I-95 through Emporia, Va.
The last times I've gone through Emporia on I-95, I've not seen police. I do see Sussex County police on the long segment between Stony Creek and Jarratt every time.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Bickendan

doorknob60

US-97 in Terrebonne, OR has a 35 zone, on a 2 lane (plus center turn lane) road that could/should be a 4 lane expressway. Most of the time the entire line of cars (yes, it's usually a long solid line) is going right around 35 so it's not an issue. And I'm not complaining, because unless they build a bypass (which the should, IMO), 35 is a reasonable speed there.

DaBigE

I was always told that Wis 26 through Rosendale WI was a big speed trap. Maybe I've just had great timing, but I've never seen anyone pulled over nor even a cop parked anywhere along the route any of the many times I've driven it.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

jp the roadgeek

I-84 on the CT/MA line (The Welcoming Committee) : CT and MA cruisers sit driver to driver, CT facing WB and MA facing EB on the border turnaround.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Takumi on December 03, 2013, 11:02:27 PM
The last times I've gone through Emporia on I-95, I've not seen police. I do see Sussex County police on the long segment between Stony Creek and Jarratt every time.

When I drive through there, I see the blue-and-gray VSP cars somewhat frequently. I don't recall ever seeing any kind of local law enforcement, at least on I-95 itself.

Alps

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on December 07, 2013, 10:24:23 PM
I-84 on the CT/MA line (The Welcoming Committee) : CT and MA cruisers sit driver to driver, CT facing WB and MA facing EB on the border turnaround.
Never seen that, actually. I do see CT cops about 10 miles from the MA line, for EB drivers.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Steve on December 08, 2013, 01:05:24 PM
Never seen that, actually. I do see CT cops about 10 miles from the MA line, for EB drivers.

Was it a speed trap, or was it two cops simply talking to each other, which seems to be more likely in this case.

Brandon

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 09, 2013, 09:28:06 AM
Quote from: Steve on December 08, 2013, 01:05:24 PM

Was it a speed trap, or was it two cops simply talking to each other, which seems to be more likely in this case.

Typically with two of them in the median, or a parking lot, like that, we call it "mating".  It's where little cop cars come from.  :sombrero:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Duke87

Don't think I've ever witnessed two cars parked "mating" at that crossover on I-84, but I've definitely seen the Massachusetts smokeys camped out there.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.