News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

North Dakota and South Dakota history

Started by rschen7754, October 18, 2012, 05:14:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rschen7754

Does anyone know of any DOT map archives that are online, or any other DOT official documents that we could use to determine the history of North Dakota or South Dakota state highways?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

bugo

I don't believe either state has state map archives online.  Most roads in the Dakotas have only been paved and/or 4 laned.  Not a lot of bypasses in the Dakotas, and not a lot of reroutings.

froggie

Jumping in late here, but I have several older ND and SD state maps if there's anything in particular needing looking up.

Road Hog

Other than U.S. highways and I-29, I don't see much if any continuity in highway numbers between North and South. I don't know why that surprises me a little. The separate states were established well before modern highways existed.

agentsteel53

Quote from: bugo on October 26, 2012, 05:22:22 PM
I don't believe either state has state map archives online.  Most roads in the Dakotas have only been paved and/or 4 laned.  Not a lot of bypasses in the Dakotas, and not a lot of reroutings.

indeed - US-2 in ND is the only non-interstate road I can think of which has bypassed a lot of the smaller towns, as opposed to going through it. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

D-Dey65

Quote from: froggie on December 11, 2012, 07:55:12 AM
Jumping in late here, but I have several older ND and SD state maps if there's anything in particular needing looking up.

This thread may not have been active since 2016, but I need some info on the former (or existing) business routes of US 10 & 52 in Valley City, since I've been doing some wiki-work on BL 94 and it's current status along the Rainbow Arch Bridge.

WestDakota

Here is a fun site - it has satellite views of North Dakota in 2016 and 1957 side by side.  You can move the middle back and forth to compare the two times.  While the default goes to Bismarck, you can also move the view to anywhere else in North Dakota. 

I really like being able to see how some of the bigger towns have changed, as well as seeing the exact path of US 10 in the west, especially around Medora where it (mostly) doesn't exist anymore.

http://bismarck.maps.arcgis.com/apps/StorytellingSwipe/index.html?appid=b02794dba6554ae7ad618161d171b828&webmap=8c13b561b9404cf5b0c7a9ff6bb999d5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.