I-165 Kentucky (William H. Natcher Green River Parkway)

Started by Grzrd, February 24, 2015, 01:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

english si

Quote from: Grzrd on October 26, 2015, 04:49:20 PMWould this constitute the longest 3di/3di overlap in the interstate system?
Given there is only one (and a future one with 785/840 at Greensboro?) - 271 and 480 in Cleveland, then absolutely it will.

tidecat

Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

andy3175

Quote from: tidecat on December 04, 2015, 12:33:36 AM
Natcher Parkway included in this bill:

http://www.14news.com/story/30665057/ky-lawmakers-move-forward-with-road-improvement-bill

Indeed ... here's a copy of the bill, which was signed into law by the president on Friday:

http://transportation.house.gov/uploadedfiles/fastact_xml.pdf

See Section 1416(d) regarding the I-65/66 Spur:

Quote(d) FUTURE INTERSTATE DESIGNATION.–Section 119(a) of the SAFETEA—LU Technical Corrections Act of 2008 (122 Stat. 1608) is amended by striking "˜"˜and, as a future Interstate Route 66 Spur, the Natcher Parkway in Owensboro, Kentucky'' and inserting "˜"˜between Henderson, Kentucky, and Owensboro, Kentucky, and, as a future Interstate Route 65 and 66 Spur, the William H. Natcher Parkway between Bowling Green, Kentucky, and Owensboro, Kentucky''.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Grzrd

The Projects List of the 2016 Recommended Highway Plan (p. 30/119 of pdf) indicates that "I-565" is the preferred designation for the I-65 Spur, with construction scheduled for 2018 and 2020:

Quote from: Grzrd on October 26, 2015, 04:49:20 PM
It's interesting that the I-65 spur designation would be added to the I-66 spur designation, instead of having the I-65 spur designation replace the I-66 spur designation.  I guess they want to keep the I-66 dream alive.
Quote from: andy3175 on December 06, 2015, 11:43:08 PM
... here's a copy of the bill, which was signed into law by the president on Friday:
http://transportation.house.gov/uploadedfiles/fastact_xml.pdf
See Section 1416(d) regarding the I-65/66 Spur:
Quote(d) FUTURE INTERSTATE DESIGNATION.–Section 119(a) of the SAFETEA—LU Technical Corrections Act of 2008 (122 Stat. 1608) is amended by striking "˜"˜and, as a future Interstate Route 66 Spur, the Natcher Parkway in Owensboro, Kentucky'' and inserting "˜"˜between Henderson, Kentucky, and Owensboro, Kentucky, and, as a future Interstate Route 65 and 66 Spur, the William H. Natcher Parkway between Bowling Green, Kentucky, and Owensboro, Kentucky''.

However, as far as I can tell, there is no indication of a "secret" preferred I-x66 spur designation, too .....................

The Ghostbuster

Interstate 565? I would have prefered the Interstate 165 designation for the William Natcher Parkway.

wdcrft63

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 28, 2016, 04:27:08 PM
Interstate 565? I would have prefered the Interstate 165 designation for the William Natcher Parkway.

I agree. I-165 would fit with I-265 at Louisville. I-565 doesn't fit with anything.

Revive 755

I would go with I-365 over I-565.  If Kentucky is one of those states that doesn't want to use I-1xx, starting with an I-365 would still allow a decent numerical sequence for any future numbers for the Cumberland and Blue Grass Parkways and still have one odd I-x65 available for future use.

The Ghostbuster

How about we flip a coin? Heads the designation becomes Interstate 165. Tails the designation becomes Interstate 365. Who wants to do the coin toss?

tdindy88

dvferyance

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 03, 2016, 09:14:32 PM

I would go with I-365 over I-565.  If Kentucky is one of those states that doesn't want to use I-1xx, starting with an I-365 would still allow a decent numerical sequence for any future numbers for the Cumberland and Blue Grass Parkways and still have one odd I-x65 available for future use.
I agree I-365 makes the most sense. Avoid duplication in other states when possible. I like the fact that I-294 is in Chicago I-494 and 694 is in the twin cities and I-894 is in Milwaukee and nothing is repeated when it doesn't have to be.

sparker

I'm just surprised that the Owensboro folks didn't lobby for a 2di number (I-63, anyone?) for the Natcher/Audubon combination -- seeing as how they pushed like hell a year or so ago for I-67 for the Natcher/231 combination corridor. 

paulthemapguy

It might be a good place for an I-61 or I-63, for the single reason that I don't know where the hell else they could place those numbers without coming too close to the US Highway with the same number.  Most ideas for I-61 or I-63 would probably put them too close to US61 or US63.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

billtm

Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 17, 2016, 06:22:31 PM
It might be a good place for an I-61 or I-63, for the single reason that I don't know where the hell else they could place those numbers without coming too close to the US Highway with the same number.  Most ideas for I-61 or I-63 would probably put them too close to US61 or US63.

Yet I-41 still exists... :pan:

LM117

Quote from: sparker on June 17, 2016, 05:51:59 PM
I'm just surprised that the Owensboro folks didn't lobby for a 2di number (I-63, anyone?) for the Natcher/Audubon combination -- seeing as how they pushed like hell a year or so ago for I-67 for the Natcher/231 combination corridor.

Hell, the mayor of Owensboro, Ron Payne, tried to get I-69 re-routed to go through Owensboro by following the Audobon Parkway from Henderson, US-60 around Owensboro and then up US-231 into Indiana, leaving Evansville completely out of the equation. Of course, the dumbass tried this AFTER Indiana had already built I-69 from Evansville to Crane at that point. Naturally, the response from KYTC and everyone else with a functioning brain was basically "fuck off". Ron Payne met with Evansville's mayor, Lloyd Winnecke, in Evansville where Winnecke proceeded to open up a can of verbal whoop-ass on him. Payne left Evansville and went back to Owensboro looking like a jackass. He dropped the I-69 Owensboro re-route idea not long after that. I-67 became Plan B. That didn't seem to pan out, so now Plan C is a 3-di, which is what Payne should've focused on to start with if he wanted interstate access to Owensboro. The idea of I-69 being re-routed through Owensboro was completely stupid and I don't think I-67 is necessary. An I-x65 from I-65 along the Natcher and an I-x69 from I-69 in Henderson along the Audobon, with both ending at US-60 will work just fine.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

sparker

It seems more logical that the massive & overwhelming Nashville to Evansville traffic would utilize I-24 to the Pennyrile and then north to I-69 rather than use a routing involving the Natcher/Audubon corridor; now that it looks like the southerly portion of the Pennyrile will eventually become I-169, that traffic will have an all-Interstate corridor to traverse.  Mr. Payne and his ilk will just have to get used to the fact that his city isn't on the direct route to & from any major metro areas.  Maybe they can devote their time & effort into building a museum to the last operating consumer vacuum-tube plant to have operated in the U.S. (GE's Owensboro facility, which shuttered in 1986!).

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 03, 2016, 09:14:32 PM

With I-369 the most likely number for the Audubon Parkway, going with I-565 on the Natcher makes sense.   Both roads might wind up meeting at Owensboro and 369 and 365 on signage could prove confusing.

tidecat

I doubt it would happen, but if Kentucky wanted to make all of the Gene Snyder Freeway an interstate, the part west of I-65 could be I-165. The Martha Layne Collins Bluegrass Parkway could be I-365, and then the William H. Natcher Parkway could become I-565 - the spurs would actually be in numerical sequence from north to south.  I know that omits the Louie B. Nunn Cumberland Parkway, but I have a feeling that will connect to I-75 at some point and be signed as either I-X75 or a two-digit even number.

The only downside is KY 565 is located southeast of Greensburg - I could see that being changed to a KY XX61 or KY XX55 designation.  KY 365 is between Owensboro and Paducah on US 60 (makes me wonder if it's an old routing of US 60), so that would be less of an issue with I-365 traversing the bluegrass.  KY 165 in the northeastern part of the state really shouldn't be an issue either.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: tidecat on July 01, 2016, 06:54:19 PM
I doubt it would happen, but if Kentucky wanted to make all of the Gene Snyder Freeway an interstate, the part west of I-65 could be I-165. The Martha Layne Collins Bluegrass Parkway could be I-365, and then the William H. Natcher Parkway could become I-565 - the spurs would actually be in numerical sequence from north to south.  I know that omits the Louie B. Nunn Cumberland Parkway, but I have a feeling that will connect to I-75 at some point and be signed as either I-X75 or a two-digit even number.

The only downside is KY 565 is located southeast of Greensburg - I could see that being changed to a KY XX61 or KY XX55 designation.  KY 365 is between Owensboro and Paducah on US 60 (makes me wonder if it's an old routing of US 60), so that would be less of an issue with I-365 traversing the bluegrass.  KY 165 in the northeastern part of the state really shouldn't be an issue either.

Even though the part of the Gene Snyder west of I-65 is technically a spur and not a loop, I would have to think if they ever decided to make it an interstate they'd just call it 265 for simplicity's sake.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

wdcrft63

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 09, 2016, 07:08:39 PM

Even though the part of the Gene Snyder west of I-65 is technically a spur and not a loop, I would have to think if they ever decided to make it an interstate they'd just call it 265 for simplicity's sake.

Obviously Kentucky wants to convert all or nearly all of its parkway system to interstate highways. I'm OK with that. Why not get everybody in one room and pick all the numbers once and for all, instead of agonizing over the thing one piece at a time? Let's have a plan!

Avalanchez71

I doubt it would happen, but if Kentucky wanted to make all of the Gene Snyder Freeway an interstate, the part or KY XX55 designation.  KY 365 is between Owensboro and Paducah on US 60 (makes me wonder if it's an old routing of US 60), so that would be less of an issue with I-365 traversing the bluegrass.  KY 165 in the northeastern part of the state really shouldn't be an issue either.
west of I-65 could be I-165. The Martha Layne Collins Bluegrass Parkway could be I-365, and then the William H. Natcher Parkway could become I-565 - the spurs would actually be in numerical sequence from north to south.  I know that omits the Louie B. Nunn Cumberland Parkway, but I have a feeling that will connect to I-75 at some point and be signed as either I-X75 or a two-digit even number.

The only downside is KY 565 is located southeast of Greensburg - I could see that being changed to a KY XX61

They could pull a NC and ask for I-42 (W) (Cumberland Pkwy), I-46 (Moutain Pkwy then Blue Grass then Western Kentucky Pkwy), I-67 (Green River Pkwy), I-63 (Audobon Pkwy), I-53 (Purchase Pkwy)

sparker

Since the Purchase is already part of I-69, I doubt a "I-53" designation would be applied there.  As far as the rest of the Parkway numberings go, I don't think the Mountain would, for the time being, be considered for 2di I-status; its east end doesn't come close to connecting to another Interstate (maybe x64 would be more appropriate, once upgrades have taken place).  I'll defer to more localized posters for info regarding the various parkways' compliance to I-standards.   

2trailertrucker

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 11, 2016, 05:34:38 PM
I doubt it would happen, but if Kentucky wanted to make all of the Gene Snyder Freeway an interstate, the part or KY XX55 designation.  KY 365 is between Owensboro and Paducah on US 60 (makes me wonder if it's an old routing of US 60), so that would be less of an issue with I-365 traversing the bluegrass.  KY 165 in the northeastern part of the state really shouldn't be an issue either.
west of I-65 could be I-165. The Martha Layne Collins Bluegrass Parkway could be I-365, and then the William H. Natcher Parkway could become I-565 - the spurs would actually be in numerical sequence north to south.  I know that omits the Louie B. Nunn Cumberland Parkway, but I have a feeling that will connect to I-75 at some point and be signed as either I-X75 or a two-digit even number.

The only downside is KY 565 is located southeast of Greensburg - I could see that being changed to a KY XX61

They could pull a NC and ask for I-42 (W) (Cumberland Pkwy), I-46 (Moutain Pkwy then Blue Grass then Western Kentucky Pkwy), I-67 (Green River Pkwy), I-63 (Audobon Pkwy), I-53 (Purchase Pkwy)

Kentucky could be a trailblazer here. They could label the highways, for example, Martha Layne Collins Interstate 63. They can plead that this would cause less confusion for Bluegrass drivers! After all, the politicians are the ones that get things done.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: sparker on July 12, 2016, 05:18:17 AM
Since the Purchase is already part of I-69, I doubt a "I-53" designation would be applied there.  As far as the rest of the Parkway numberings go, I don't think the Mountain would, for the time being, be considered for 2di I-status; its east end doesn't come close to connecting to another Interstate (maybe x64 would be more appropriate, once upgrades have taken place).  I'll defer to more localized posters for info regarding the various parkways' compliance to I-standards.   
My response was tongue-in-cheek.

Life in Paradise

I don't know why someone in Kentucky hasn't suggested to run I-71 down I-65 from Louisville to the Western KY Parkway and then run it down to I-69 with the option of sending it down the southern Pennyrile to I-24 at Hopkinsville if they wanted to keep that a 2d rather than an X24 spur.

Avalanchez71

You could actually route it over I-265 to get rid of some of the concurrancy. The problem is you would have a road to everywhere that went nowhere first.  Why drive from Nashville to Cinncinnati via Hopkinsvile?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.