Kids at school breaking or losing their glasses

Started by bandit957, December 02, 2016, 10:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Anyone have any good, suspenseful stories about kids at school breaking, losing, or otherwise ruining their glasses?

At the high school I went to as a junior and senior, there were several incidents like this. One day, some kid in my class was wearing glasses, which was odd because I never seen him wear glasses before. But later, he whispered, "Hey Tim," and he showed me a big pile of fragments of the frames of his glasses in his hands. He had popped the lenses out of his specs and broken the frames into tiny pieces.

At this same school, some girl pretended she lost her glasses and yelled, "I can't read!!!" But actually she had her glasses with her the whole time. But then she was taken out of that school after only a day, and her glasses sat there on her desk for a month.

In grade school, some kid bounced a basketball and knocked some kid's glasses off, which broke them.

At my other high school, some kid kept harassing me, so I beat him up. He claimed that in doing so, I broke his glasses - even though he wasn't wearing them. Of course, the school believed him and tried making me pay for them.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

Had a sports related eye injury in the 4th grade in my right eye which required corrective measures.   I wanted contacts but given the era it wasn't cheap and my parents wouldn't let me get them...so glasses it was.  Basically I think that I might have only actually worn them in school maybe a half dozen times since back in the 1980s anything like that might make you a social pariah that was going to lead to a fight in the school yard.  So yeah...they didn't break, but it was simply due to the fact that I avoided wearing them as much as possible and they stayed safely in my back pack.  I was able to get rid of those things in the 7th grade when my eye healed up and haven't shown any evidence until this past year that I might need them again.  Now braces on the other hand, those got busted up for various reasons including sports and playground injuries in school.  :rolleyes:

noelbotevera

I tried to tighten my old glasses with a tiny screwdriver. I rotated it the wrong way and unscrewed the part that holds the left ear. I just quit after that and decided to wait until I got my new glasses (which are black, and look better than that dumb red, blue, and black color scheme).
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

kphoger

Quote from: bandit957 on December 02, 2016, 10:23:21 PM
Anyone have any good, suspenseful stories
[...]
In grade school, some kid bounced a basketball and knocked some kid's glasses off, which broke them..

Is that the bar for 'good' and 'suspenseful'?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bandit957

Quote from: kphoger on December 03, 2016, 08:41:26 AM

The kid whose glasses got broken really didn't like glasses anyway. He said he could see fine without them. But the frames were snapped, and the broken frames became very sharp. The glasses wouldn't stay on his face, rendering the pair unwearable.

bandit957

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 03, 2016, 12:51:11 AMNow braces on the other hand, those got busted up for various reasons including sports and playground injuries in school.  :rolleyes:

Some girl in 8th grade kept getting bubble gum tangled in hers, day after day.

Also, I have a friend who told me that there was a junior softball league around that time where one of the players who was about 11 or 12 threw a huge tantrum because her team was losing. So she grabbed a hammer and tried to pry an opposing player's braces off with the claw end. She also yanked an opposing player's earring out. She didn't pull it out the way earrings are usually removed. Instead she tore it out so it ripped her earlobe.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: bandit957 on December 03, 2016, 09:10:54 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 03, 2016, 12:51:11 AMNow braces on the other hand, those got busted up for various reasons including sports and playground injuries in school.  :rolleyes:

Some girl in 8th grade kept getting bubble gum tangled in hers, day after day.

Also, I have a friend who told me that there was a junior softball league around that time where one of the players who was about 11 or 12 threw a huge tantrum because her team was losing. So she grabbed a hammer and tried to pry an opposing player's braces off with the claw end. She also yanked an opposing player's earring out. She didn't pull it out the way earrings are usually removed. Instead she tore it out so it ripped her earlobe.

For me the eye thing was in a state Karate tournament.  The kid was up against caught my eye with his overgrown toenail and almost ruptured it, the damn thing was was like a bird talon.  The good news that I won the match and a couple more to get a third place bronze.  Apparently there was a lot of scarring and it almost got the cornea which would have made things a lot worse. 

The braces on the other hand didn't mix well with running, falling on your ass, or really impact in general since the brackets broke easily.  Good news was that I didn't have anything too severe, some of those kids had to wear full on helmets back then.  Talk about your social life going to hell, you could have been the coolest kid in school and suddenly been relegated below nerd status.

bandit957

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 03, 2016, 09:20:03 AM
For me the eye thing was in a state Karate tournament.  The kid was up against caught my eye with his overgrown toenail and almost ruptured it, the damn thing was was like a bird talon.  The good news that I won the match and a couple more to get a third place bronze.  Apparently there was a lot of scarring and it almost got the cornea which would have made things a lot worse.

When I was in 5th grade, a door at school swung around and hit me above the eye. My parents say there's a big scar there from it, but I just can't find it. I'm not even sure which eye it was (I think it was the left). I'm gonna look for that scar today.

kphoger

Quote from: bandit957 on December 03, 2016, 09:03:28 AM
Quote from: kphoger on December 03, 2016, 08:41:26 AM
Quote from: bandit957 on December 02, 2016, 10:23:21 PM
Anyone have any good, suspenseful stories
[...]
In grade school, some kid bounced a basketball and knocked some kid's glasses off, which broke them..

The kid whose glasses got broken really didn't like glasses anyway. He said he could see fine without them. But the frames were snapped, and the broken frames became very sharp. The glasses wouldn't stay on his face, rendering the pair unwearable.

Ah.  Now I see.  Gripping.  You should turn this into a PBS mini-series.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

'Tis the season for "A Christmas Story," which has a great compelling story about kids and glasses.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on December 03, 2016, 04:32:38 PM
'Tis the season for "A Christmas Story," which has a great compelling story about kids and glasses.

There ever any documented proof that shooting your eye out was a common thing aside from the rare extreme accident?  I swear if people nowadays really knew the destructive capability of some of my childhood toys they would dig my parents out of their graves to throw them in jail for child endangerment  :rolleyes:

tchafe1978

I first got my glasses in 2nd grade. The next year I started playing basketball at the YMCA. To avoid them getting broken if I got hit in the face or if the fell off, my dad would make me take them off during games. Same thing with soccer. Which I think contributed to my not playing very well (aside from the fact I wasn't very athletic to start with) was that I couldn't see a damn thing! But ironically those glasses saved my eyes one day when after a Cub Scouts meeting, we were all outside playing in the yard. One kid decided to throw a stone at me when I wasn't looking, and it hit me square in the center of the lens. Left a nice big scratch on the lens that I had to look through for about a year, but my eyes were saved! Thanks, dad!

slorydn1

In 7th grade I swung at a high inside fastball thinking home run. That little baseball looked like a grapefruit and there was NO way I wasn't going to hit this about 400 feet.

Ummm-I ended up foul tipping it right back at my own face. It hit me right where the ear piece meets the frame of my glasses and broke them.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

PHLBOS

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 03, 2016, 10:11:23 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 03, 2016, 04:32:38 PM

There ever any documented proof that shooting your eye out was a common thing aside from the rare extreme accident?  I swear if people nowadays really knew the destructive capability of some of my childhood toys they would dig my parents out of their graves to throw them in jail for child endangerment  :rolleyes:
Ralphie broke his glasses (which fell off after firing his rifle) by stepping on them.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.