News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

any smoking roadgeeks?

Started by allniter89, January 21, 2013, 01:00:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: empirestate on December 03, 2016, 12:22:21 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 02, 2016, 09:04:57 PM
Quote from: GeauxLSU on December 02, 2016, 07:45:18 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 02, 2016, 10:27:45 AM
Quote from: empirestate on December 02, 2016, 10:00:27 AM

The reason I point this out is: what other aspects of our society have been successfully reduced, eliminated, or substantially altered, just by changing their cultural acceptability? And what changes are currently on our wish list, that might be better addressed through a societal shift than by legislation or enforcement?

Marijuana. I don't see the allure of the stoner culture.

I don't see the appeal of the food addiction culture.

Can we officially call this a troll before things get way out of hand? 

We cannot. As the person who wrote it, and thus the official who would make it official, I can assure you it's meant genuinely. So you can call it a troll, but you cannot do so officially.

Actually I've kind of found that a lot of Mods are fairly active in reading these threads....it will bury itself sooner or later....like it did with another recent situation...I'm fairly certain at least anyways? Basically the posts are just gibberish at this point.  It's either a troll or someone who is basically operating with some sort of malfunction.  I'm honestly kind of surprised that it got taken up and run with on a somewhat viable thread...go figure.   

Speaking of allure....why taking up social smoking when you have an alternative?

empirestate

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 03, 2016, 12:35:05 AM
Quote from: empirestate on December 03, 2016, 12:22:21 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 02, 2016, 09:04:57 PM
Quote from: GeauxLSU on December 02, 2016, 07:45:18 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 02, 2016, 10:27:45 AM
Quote from: empirestate on December 02, 2016, 10:00:27 AM

The reason I point this out is: what other aspects of our society have been successfully reduced, eliminated, or substantially altered, just by changing their cultural acceptability? And what changes are currently on our wish list, that might be better addressed through a societal shift than by legislation or enforcement?

Marijuana. I don't see the allure of the stoner culture.

I don't see the appeal of the food addiction culture.

Can we officially call this a troll before things get way out of hand? 

We cannot. As the person who wrote it, and thus the official who would make it official, I can assure you it's meant genuinely. So you can call it a troll, but you cannot do so officially.

Actually I've kind of found that a lot of Mods are fairly active in reading these threads....it will bury itself sooner or later....like it did with another recent situation...I'm fairly certain at least anyways? Basically the posts are just gibberish at this point.  It's either a troll or someone who is basically operating with some sort of malfunction.  I'm honestly kind of surprised that it got taken up and run with on a somewhat viable thread...go figure.   

Which part are you saying is the troll? Your quote sequence points back to my comparison to other aspects of society, which I can only assure you was not meant as a troll. In fact, as you say, it was an attempt to make something viable out of what obviously was a (mild) troll, which is the "kewl" comments.

Max Rockatansky

I'm just talking about the Les Miles kid who was throwing "kewl" out there like Eric Cartman, not the real commentary that took place in it's wake. 

GeauxLSU

I'm not a troll, I'm just an a**hole. My daddy is a medical research chemist and he said that pot is perfectly healthy. I don't know what hbelkins' problem with it is but if he's the guy I think he is he is a fat and needs to quit casting pearls before swine.
I am a Roadgeek and a Fishgeek and a Tigergeek!

jwolfer

Marijuana the devil weed!

LGMS428

hbelkins

Quote from: GeauxLSU on December 03, 2016, 11:26:20 AM
I'm not a troll, I'm just an a**hole. My daddy is a medical research chemist and he said that pot is perfectly healthy. I don't know what hbelkins' problem with it is but if he's the guy I think he is he is a fat and needs to quit casting pearls before swine.

Yep, this is definitely a troll. And yeah, I'm fat. I don't deny it.

Marijuana harmless? Yeah, right. It may not be addictive, but it's sure habit-forming. Anything that alters perception isn't perfectly healthy. I guess our young Bayou Bengal (if 14 really is his age) isn't old enough to know any burned-out dopeheads. I know plenty, which is why I detest the stoner culture. And there's the whole problem of sucking hot gases from burning aromatic hydrocarbons (as I heard it described once) into your lungs.

And dental insurance? What's that? I've never had it -- but then again, I've never been on Medicaid, and Medicaid recipients get better health insurance coverage than working people do.

I don't have perfectly straight teeth, but neither my parents nor my dentist saw the need for me to have braces when I was young. I sorta wish they had.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

empirestate

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 03, 2016, 09:36:30 AM
I'm just talking about the Les Miles kid who was throwing "kewl" out there like Eric Cartman, not the real commentary that took place in it's wake. 

Oh, that. Yeah, that was pretty evident all along. We seem to be handling it fine, though; I'm not real worried about it getting out of hand.

bandit957

Quote from: hbelkins on December 03, 2016, 04:31:09 PM
And dental insurance? What's that? I've never had it -- but then again, I've never been on Medicaid, and Medicaid recipients get better health insurance coverage than working people do.

Medicaid recipients ARE working people. And the coverage really is not all that spectacular. It doesn't cover dentures anymore, and Medicare doesn't either.

If you have Medicaid or Medicare, and your teeth fall out, or if they come out in an accident, you're out of luck.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Pete from Boston

Smoking takes away your ability to choose for yourself.

When I was a smoker for many years, I was addicted. Addiction means you feel you have no choice but to continue doing what you are addicted to. Of course you could quit, but it feels impossible.

Technically, I am still addicted. If I had one cigarette I would probably want twenty.  So I don't have one cigarette.

If you want to put yourself in a bind that you likely won't get out of, by all means, smoke. The cigarettes decide how you will spend your money.

Smoking is like living with an abusive partner that has all the doors and windows alarmed so you can't get out.  Quitting was like sneaking out one day and running far away and never looking back.  Many years later, I still feel like I made an unlikely escape.

vdeane

Quote from: GeauxLSU on December 03, 2016, 11:26:20 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sen8Tn8CBA4

Nothing wrong with Pearls Before Swine.  I think that comic is quite funny.

Quote from: bandit957 on December 03, 2016, 06:04:21 PM

Medicaid recipients ARE working people. And the coverage really is not all that spectacular. It doesn't cover dentures anymore, and Medicare doesn't either.

If you have Medicaid or Medicare, and your teeth fall out, or if they come out in an accident, you're out of luck.
Same with the NY state coverage.  Apparently things like eating are not necessities.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

GeauxLSU

Marijuana harmless? Yeah, right. It may not be addictive, but it's sure habit-forming. Anything that alters perception isn't perfectly healthy. I guess our young Bayou Bengal (if 14 really is his age) isn't old enough to know any burned-out dopeheads. I know plenty, which is why I detest the stoner culture. And there's the whole problem of sucking hot gases from burning aromatic hydrocarbons (as I heard it described once) into your lungs.
The "burned out dopehead" meme has been profen false. My dad is a research chemist and he smokes every day and it doesn't hurt him. I've known many different medicinal pot users and they come from all walks of life, doctors, lawyers, CEOs, teachers. None of them are strung out. And what is this "stoner culture" you speek of?
I am a Roadgeek and a Fishgeek and a Tigergeek!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: GeauxLSU on December 04, 2016, 06:42:57 PM
The "burned out dopehead" meme has been profen false. My dad is a research chemist and he smokes every day and it doesn't hurt him. I've known many different medicinal pot users and they come from all walks of life, doctors, lawyers, CEOs, teachers. None of them are strung out. And what is this "stoner culture" you speek of?

Your Dad want you using weed?  Or smoking?  I'm curious since you are coming onto a road forum and basically your greatest contribution thus far as been "my Dad said" argument in regard to marihuana. 

Also does your father have any published scientific studies on the topic?  I mean if he's as good as you say then his work would probably end up in a medical journal or two?  You are speaking for the guy, so it's probably fair to ask for some real world qualifications of you want is all to take his studies seriously as you do.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.