News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 295- Fayetteville, NC

Started by Strider, January 03, 2013, 01:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strider

Hello, I wonder if anyone knows the update on a Future Interstate 295 construction around Fayetteville area? I looked at some legal websites that talked about Fayetteville Outer Loop.. so far.. I haven't found any updates.. does anyone know?

cpzilliacus

One place to look is the metropolitan planning organization (MPO) for Fayetteville and environs.

Fayetteville Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (FAMPO): http://www.fampo.org/

A quick check of that site shows that there is some information available.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Strider

Found it.. thank you. It was interesting looking at these hearing maps and interchange plans for each road from the Outer Loop.. looks like the one with All-American Freeway and Muchinson Road are going to be massive.

What hits me... the proposed southern end of the Loop at I-95.. it's going to be a trumpet..? That's way opposite from the northern Loop interchange with I-95 and US 13...

roadman65

Quote from: Strider on January 04, 2013, 12:40:06 AM
Found it.. thank you. It was interesting looking at these hearing maps and interchange plans for each road from the Outer Loop.. looks like the one with All-American Freeway and Muchinson Road are going to be massive.

What hits me... the proposed southern end of the Loop at I-95.. it's going to be a trumpet..? That's way opposite from the northern Loop interchange with I-95 and US 13...
Do not forget a trumpet would not work with US 13 there?  South of there, no other route continues.

What amazes me, is the fact the US 13 leading in to the I-95/ Future I-295 Interchange is not freeway.  In fact the transition does not occur until the middle of the interchange.   The US 17/ US 64 interchange east of Willamston, NC; the I-55/ US 63 Interchange in Turell, AR; and the DE 1/ US 13 Interchange  near New Castle, DE are alike this one as well.  A road that goes from freeway to non freeway in the middle with free flowing ramps from freeway to freeway around them, just like this one.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Strider

Yeah.. I know that a trumpet won't work with US 13.. obviously lol.

I thought that the south end should be directional T.. you know to avoid the looping ramp from I-295 South to I-95 North, but I guess NCDOT want to save money.. and choose the cheapest interchange.

IMO, US 13 should be widened from that interchange going east/north for a few miles.. but i guess it's a money-saving purpose here. Either way, it's nice to know that Fayetteville is having its outer loop under construction.

bob7374

Quote from: Strider on January 07, 2013, 12:46:55 AM
Yeah.. I know that a trumpet won't work with US 13.. obviously lol.

I thought that the south end should be directional T.. you know to avoid the looping ramp from I-295 South to I-95 North, but I guess NCDOT want to save money.. and choose the cheapest interchange.

IMO, US 13 should be widened from that interchange going east/north for a few miles.. but i guess it's a money-saving purpose here. Either way, it's nice to know that Fayetteville is having its outer loop under construction.
I always thought the northern interchange with I-95 would need to be upgraded before the route could officially be signed I-295, given that a left turn is needed to access I-295 from I-95 north. According to the sign plans, however, they plan to do so, and add numbers to the exits, when the route is complete to the Fort Bragg area. Future exit numbers are listed on my Future NC Interstates, I-295 page: http://web.simmons.edu/~malme/fut295.html

roadman65

I was wondering if US 401 will be signed along it and have it bypassed moved even further west?  In Williamston US 17 was bypassed with the US 64 freeway extension, that already had a split in routes.  There was the US 17 Business through the city, and the US 17 Bypass (East Boulevard) that went around the center. I am not sure how the new Business route is aligned being that US 17 Bypass was made another business.

Then you have the four US 70 alignments through the Smithfield- Selma area, so you could have current US 401 Bypass be US 401, and the I-295 as the new US 401 Bypass, and US 401 Business could remain as it is.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bob7374

NCDOT released the plans Tuesday for the final contract to complete construction of the Fayetteville Outer Loop beyond US 401 to the All American Freeway. This contract to be let on June 17 does final paving work and sign installation for the two segments currently under construction, Murchison Rd to Bragg Blvd, which will probably open sometime this fall. And the piece from US 401 to Murchison Rd whose major work will be complete next month. The signage plans had one big surprise, the road will be signed, not as I-295 when work is completed sometime in 2015, but as NC 295. Previous signage plans for the Murchison Rd to Bragg Blvd segment had signs with blank spaces but marked as to be filled with I-295 signs in the future (when the entire roadway would open). What changed?

Apparently, NCDOT again overestimated the FHWA's leniency in regard to signing substandard freeways as interstates. There is a substandard bridge crossing of the Cape Fear River, but, probably the deal killer, to get from I-95 North to the Loop requires you to go through a signalized intersection (same for traffic headed for US 13 coming from I-95 South). The plans do show Future I-295 shields to remain, paired with NC 210 shields along the roadway, but all other Future 295 signs at on-ramps and on overheads along the open portion between I-95 and US 401 will be taken down. The mile markers in the plans (running from 22 to 34 in the plans if you're curious with Exit 21 being Bragg Blvd/All-American Freeway, Exit 23 Murchison Rd, Exit 25 McArthur Rd, Exit 28 US 401, Exit 30 River Rd and Exit 34 I-95) all have NC 295 shields implying this designation will be here for awhile. Given that there are no projects to upgrade the Loop/I-95 interchange, and no current funding for building the Loop's final 17 miles back to I-95, guess that's not surprising.

The sign plans can be accessed at http://dotw-xfer01.dot.state.nc.us/dsplan/2014%20Highway%20Letting/06-17-14/Plans%20and%20Proposals/Cumberland%20X-0002CC%20C203361/Roadway/

WashuOtaku

Yep, I remember you shared it last night in the Facebook group.  And yes, the new Strategic Mobility Formula that NCDOT will use soon already listed the remaining sections at a low-to-mid priority.  I am glad though that NCDOT will have real signs and mile markers on the route now, even if its NC 295.

froggie

QuoteThere is a substandard bridge crossing of the Cape Fear River, but, probably the deal killer, to get from I-95 North to the Loop requires you to go through a signalized intersection (same for traffic headed for US 13 coming from I-95 South).

There's precedent for partial Interstate-Interstate interchanges elsewhere, and the two main movements (SB 95 to SB 295 and vice versa), plus the NB 295 to SB 95 ramp, are all direct movements.  I'd suspect that a combination of the substandard Cape Fear River bridge and the lack of commitment to finish the loop are the actual reasons, not the 95 interchange.

As a side note, the 95/13 ramps were stop sign-controlled as late as November.  Have they been signalized since then?

Strider

Plus, it can't be called Interstate 295 without hooking it back to I-95. (per Loop rules) If they made one of the freeways in Fayetteville area (NC 87, All-American Freeway) a interstate, then it may can be called I-295. But, that doesn't make any sense because I'm sure there are substandard bridges on a interstate somewhere and they are still called a interstate. FHWA's policy is really strange, or are there different policies for each state when it comes to labeling a road an interstate? I suspect froggie might be right as well...

Henry

Quote from: Strider on May 22, 2014, 02:06:56 PM
Plus, it can't be called Interstate 295 without hooking it back to I-95. (per Loop rules) If they made one of the freeways in Fayetteville area (NC 87, All-American Freeway) a interstate, then it may can be called I-295. But, that doesn't make any sense because I'm sure there are substandard bridges on a interstate somewhere and they are still called a interstate. FHWA's policy is really strange, or are there different policies for each state when it comes to labeling a road an interstate? I suspect froggie might be right as well...
But it could be signed as a Future I-295, because it is expected to reconnect back to I-95 when the whole thing is completed years from now.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Strider

Seems like they are going to label the road as NC 295/Future I-295 according to the signing plans I saw from the link.

bob7374

An NCDOT press release indicates the Fayetteville Loop section between Murchison Road and Bragg Blvd will open on Monday (8/4). The release goes on to say the remaining unopened section between US 401 and Murchison Road will not open until the summer of 2016 (a check on the NCDOT Construction Progress Report says the completion date is 1/2017).

A link to the press release: https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=10160

bob7374

The Murchison Rd to Bragg Blvd section opened as scheduled Monday afternoon. I've updated my Future I-295 with the new information along with several images of the planned signage over the years from NCDOT. If anyone takes a road trip to check it out, I'd be happy to post any photos.
http://gribblenation.net/ncfutints/fut295.html

The Nature Boy

Quote from: bob7374 on August 06, 2014, 09:31:23 PM
The Murchison Rd to Bragg Blvd section opened as scheduled Monday afternoon. I've updated my Future I-295 with the new information along with several images of the planned signage over the years from NCDOT. If anyone takes a road trip to check it out, I'd be happy to post any photos.

I'll use your site for this pic, if you don't mind:

I'm interested in seeing the southern portion of I-295 completed. Providing access to All-American Freeway for travelers coming from the south via I-95 will be very important to alleviating congestion in the city. Having to take the spur route to Owen Dr. is a pain in the ass.

It'll also be important for helping people reach Cross Creek Mall without having to ever get on All-American. At the intersection in Parkton, I would literally use "Cross Creek Mall" as a control city as a way to divert traffic off of Owen Dr. 

DeaconG

Quote from: The Nature Boy on August 06, 2014, 09:49:15 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on August 06, 2014, 09:31:23 PM

I'll use your site for this pic, if you don't mind:

I'm interested in seeing the southern portion of I-295 completed. Providing access to All-American Freeway for travelers coming from the south via I-95 will be very important to alleviating congestion in the city. Having to take the spur route to Owen Dr. is a pain in the ass.

It'll also be important for helping people reach Cross Creek Mall without having to ever get on All-American. At the intersection in Parkton, I would literally use "Cross Creek Mall" as a control city as a way to divert traffic off of Owen Dr. 

I was stationed there in the late 70s-early 80s (Pope AFB, not Bragg) and count your blessings, I remember when Owen Drive was TWO lanes...
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

bob7374

I've updated my I-295 page with several more sign plans released the last couple months by NCDOT. The new sign plan for the Bragg Blvd./All American Freeway exit features both NC 295 and an Arrow-Per-Lane design:

This and other plans are on the Future I-295 Page:

bob7374

The Draft STIP released by NCDOT this week (https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=10531) was good news for the Fayetteville Outer Loop (Future I-295) project. The STIP provides money to complete the Loop from Bragg Blvd south to I-95 over the next 10 years. NCDOT originally broke up the Outer Loop into 2 parts, from I-95 west to Bragg Blvd, the only part of the project funded when work started, and the remainder from Bragg Blvd south back to I-95 that was mostly, until now, not on the funded list.

The first part, as of 12/1, only has one project remaining, the paving and signing of the highway from US 401 to the All American Freeway, work started a couple months ago, and it's only 8% complete, and due to be completed in August 2016. The second part already has 2 projects underway: Bragg Blvd to SR 1415, Clearwater Blvd, now 78.5% complete with a end date of 7/15/2015, and from SR 1415 to SR 1490, Clifdale Rd, due to be completed in Oct. 2018 and currently now about 5% done. The remaining 3 projects are now funded. The next section to be started will be from Clifdale Rd to US 401, work to start in 2016. Next will be from US 401 south  to SR 1003 (Camden Rd) with a construction start date of 2018. Following the completion of that project, work is to start by 2021 on the final segment from Camden Rd to I-95 near St. Pauls. If all goes to schedule the entire loop may be completed by 2024 or 2025. Latest signage plans, see previous post, has the route signed as NC 295/Future I-295 when the first part is opened to traffic, don't know if this new funding will allow them to sign the route as an interstate to start, as originally planned.

WashuOtaku

The goal is to be an Interstate, but that will not happen till most or all of it is completed.  So all new sections will be NC 295 for eventual transition to I-295.  NCDOT seems to have adopted this method, similar to other states.

Fred Defender

Fayetteville, NC: Been there once - last August. What a pit.
AGAM

froggie

QuoteThe goal is to be an Interstate, but that will not happen till most or all of it is completed.  So all new sections will be NC 295 for eventual transition to I-295.  NCDOT seems to have adopted this method, similar to other states.

You'd think, though, that if they'd intended it to be Interstate all along, they would've fully built it to Interstate standards.  The completed portions of "NC 295" are not to Interstate standard, especially the bridges.  Given the newness of it, probably not something that FHWA would grant a waiver for, which means NCDOT will have to go back in on the completed segment and widen the bridges.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: froggie on December 07, 2014, 09:05:05 AM
QuoteThe goal is to be an Interstate, but that will not happen till most or all of it is completed.  So all new sections will be NC 295 for eventual transition to I-295.  NCDOT seems to have adopted this method, similar to other states.

You'd think, though, that if they'd intended it to be Interstate all along, they would've fully built it to Interstate standards.  The completed portions of "NC 295" are not to Interstate standard, especially the bridges.  Given the newness of it, probably not something that FHWA would grant a waiver for, which means NCDOT will have to go back in on the completed segment and widen the bridges.

The freeway portion itself can get a waiver, like others in the state have gotten (i.e. I-74 near Winston-Salem and I-73 Asheboro); the big issue is the terminus where there are at-grade intersection with US 13/I-95 at other-end.  But I believe it's a mute point at this stage since their seems to be a chorus that rest of the freeway needs to be built first.

bob7374

Here's a NCDOT press release about the new STIP funding the entire Fayetteville Outer Loop. It includes a map showing the completed, under construction, and planned sections of the Loop, signed as I-295:
https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=10545

Henry

Quote from: froggie on December 07, 2014, 09:05:05 AM

Surely they want to get it over in a hurry and not drag their feet, like Caltrans is doing with CA 905 and CA 210, or IDOT with IL 394!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.